PDA

View Full Version : Strings attached to Metaballs

txdiablo
02-29-2008, 07:47 PM
How can I get a dynamic curve to stay attached to two animated spheres? They are like cells splitting but as they grow apart I need them to have a curve attached to each of them at the ends. I have tried creating a curve, making it dynamic (hair) and parenting a transform contraint to the second sphere, but that doesn't seem to work so well...Maybe I have the wrong settings on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Danny

coolman85
03-02-2008, 09:05 AM
How can I get a dynamic curve to stay attached to two animated spheres?
Hi Danny, as i understood from ur topic, u wanna make a dynamic curve between two objects. Well y don't u make the curve as a softbody instead of hair ? defort the last two curve CV's into clusters & parent each 1 of them to the object u want.
Good luck.

txdiablo
03-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the response Coolman....I did end up trying that at one point, but I want the curve to be dynamic and the moment I make it a softbody it no longer listens to the cluster. I also am applying a curve flow to the same curve, but apparently I have to do that step before I create the clusters or I won't be able to. I think you can't create curve flow on a curve that has deformers applied to it, but you can create the cluster afterwards.

coolman85
03-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Danny, make the curve as a softbody by choosing:
1.Duplicate, make original soft.
2.Check both "hide non-soft object" & "make non-soft a goal".
from the softbody options box.
then make the clusters by deforming the CV's on the hidden curve & parent them to the spheres.
bout the curve flow, u can try to extrude a nurb circle along the soft curve, a nurbs tube will appear. try to take advantage from that tube for ur flow by manually emit & wut ever u wanna do with the curve flow bcoz that tube follow's the dynamic soft curve.
feed me with ur news.
cheers.

republicavfx
03-02-2008, 06:33 PM
you may find this tutorial by duncan useful

http://highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/dynamics_fx/Creating-a-dynamic-telephone-cord-using-Maya-Hair-289.html

txdiablo
03-07-2008, 02:07 AM
You guys are awesome for the replies..Thank you so much. I still haven't solved it, but have gotten close.

Coolman: the second approach you mentioned (having a duplicate with soft-body goal) almost worked except the end points that have cluster deformers don't stick to the spheres. They have too much give and I haven't been able to find an attribute that controls that.

blade33u: I tried that tutorial and that was actually my original approach, but the problem is that when I move the transform contraint (which is parented to the sphere), it looks like it works until the animation starts from from 0. Then it goes back to the original position regardless of where the transoform constraint is. I also can't find what I can do to change this. Maybe I'm retarded? Haha...Ok..That's not funny. Thanks again though!

-=Danny=-

coolman85
03-07-2008, 11:39 AM
You guys are awesome for the replies..Thank you so much. I still haven't solved it, but have gotten close.

Coolman: the second approach you mentioned (having a duplicate with soft-body goal) almost worked except the end points that have cluster deformers don't stick to the spheres. They have too much give and I haven't been able to find an attribute that controls that.

dude, i've did that alot. just select the cluster, shift select the sphere & press P. thats all wut it takes. the tip of the curve will move with the sphere BUT there's something u must do with the particles of the soft curve. when u make a cluster u select CV's from the original curve, lets say two CV's. then u must select the two particles @ the same position on the soft curve & make there goal equals 1 so that they stick to the cluster. after that make the goal of the rest as low as u want it to b.
Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2008, 11:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.