PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial Request : COMMUNITY SPEAK

Julez4001
02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
In the YOUTUBE age, I think there should be even more learning material for messiah:animate.

While its been a minute since I have contributed anything, i was wondering what the community has to say?
Regardless of paid tuts (Joe Cosman, fantastic BTW and TARON) or FREE stuff (others)
LW community has had a BOOST in their video department thanks to the P-man!

What subjects in messiah do you find lacking or unclear?
Don't mention what you would pay or rather see for free, just think outloud ..or type outloud. Be bold, maybe you can direct traffic of sorts.

-------------------- POSSIBLE IDEA PLEASE ADD ----------------------------------

RIGGING (faster and reusable techniques)

Poorman notes to Animation

SHADING (just the Node editor)

Visual FX (motion Dynamics)
Visual FX (softbody Dynamics)
Visual FX (various Clothing: capes, dresses, etc)

Using FUR in a production

Production Notes on common gotchas in any pipeline
Production Notes on using Messiah & Zbrush
Production Notes on using messiah & Lightwave
Production Notes on using messiah & Maya

Production Notes using POINTOVEN .psc

Tell Chikega that you want more SSS stuff. :)

Character Animation Cheat sheet video.

Using motion curves/F-curves from various apps and doing CLEANUP.

Facial Animation with Endomorphs and Bone setup!

messiah & 3rd party Apps (Poser, Rhino, Blender, etc)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just mention whether you would just quick visual ques or a extensive hours of every detail when you make your recommendations.

MarkInTx
02-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Regardless of paid tuts (Joe Cosman, fantastic BTW and TARON) ...

Wait a minute... did I miss something? Does Taron have a paid tutorial available for Messiah?

As for Joe, I think it's great that he has DVDs, and I have bought several. I agree that it really shouldn't be left to one guy -- paid or not -- if only because everyone understands and explains things differently, and more tutorials brings better understanding.

(Whatever happend to John Riggs? Does anyone have his DVDs? They are old, but I would love to buy them off of someone if they have them!)

As for what I think (not that I matter) here's my input:

There are two distinct markets for 3D products: Professionals and Hobbyists.

I would divide the Professional marketplace into three others: Illustrators, Movie/Film work and Games.

Hobbyists could likwise be subdivided, but I'm going to lump them all (us all, since I am one) into one.

The tutorials should, IMHO, address the marketplace, rather than the features.

I don't know what the Messiah market is. It may be that PMG doesn't either, since it seems to me to be a labor of love, rather than a for profit venture. But -- just guessing -- I think that Messiah breaks down lke this in terms of addressing the over-all market.

Professionals
==========
1. Illustrators -- Bad Market
2. Movie/Film -- Sweet spot
3. Games -- Partial Hit

4. Hobbyists Could be a huge hit with more work, but unlikely worth the effort.

Reasons:
=========
1. Pro-Illustrator: I think Thomas' rather public fighting and then giving up on Messiah shows why Messiah isn't "quite right" for this group. It has some of the features they want, but not enough for them to ditch XSI or Max (or even zBrush). If you are a cross-over artist who works in animation and Illustration, then you might pay the price to learn and use Messiah, but you probably get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

2. Pro-Film/TV: This is what Messiah lives for, and what it was designed for (speaking as an observer.) The guys who are responsible for the creation of it work in this industry, and they know it best. The thing that drove me to Messiah originally was the amazingly life-like animations. Messiah animations just seem to look better. I know that Maya is used in Film, and is considered the premier animation tool... but I have never seen anything (not created by a team of guys) that compares with The Boxer sample, for example.

3. Pro-Game-Developer: Games are a problem, because (IMHO) very little thought is given to animation in games. I say this as a player of games, not as a developer. But if you look at game developer requests, they are usually for more mo-cap tools, Face Robot stuff... etc. If you look at the results -- its' not that good. A lot of animations in games is "Good enough." I don't think they care if the cut scenes are incredible realistic or not. Even high ticket items have pretty poor animation, usually. (Look at Assasin's Creed -- a mega-million dollar game with kinda jerky animation... but it is held up as something amazing in the industry..) In most games, if the walk/run cycle is good, they are happy. I don't know if they are going to want to pay the price (in time) to add a more lifelike animation tool to their pipeline.

4. The Hobbyist represents a huge marketplace (look at how DAZ was able to grow with what was, really, a pretty crappy model...) There is a lot of money there but it is a tough nut to crack because A) anyone who is satisfied with Poser probably wouldn't be willing to learn something new and B) most of the users are complete noobs, so education is a problem.

If I were the PM for Messiah (which I am decidely not) I would do this (And the beauty is that this whole thing could be done in a week, in terms of the big three's time, with no programming at all):

Aside from the product, I would offer a Messiah Starter pack. You could offer three variations (Pro:Movies, Pro:Games and Personal Edition - but it is not necessary, and I wouldn't at first...) This should include:

1. Sample models. Simple, loy-poly models with clean topology that anyone can start with. Butch is OK, the Dino is interesting, but there is no substitute for a full human. By having good starting point, at least everyone could know that any problems with rigging is due to the rig -- not the model. (I tried to rig Victoria from DAZ and had a fit when I first started.) I watched Taron do an organic head and shoulders in about 30 minutes. If he finished that and released it as part of a starter kit, that would be perfect. Add a woman, a horse and a dog and you have the full kit.

2. I would add the autorigger. I'd pay Ulven and just include it in the package. While it is true that one of the beauties of Messiah is that you can reuse rigs, so once you have a rig you like, you are pretty much done for life, everyone has to start somewhere. Taking away any perceived learning curve is essential.

3. A series of TRAINING sessions that showed rigging the models would be the first thing I would do. Not five minute tuts... real explainations. Including a facial rig example.

4. Training DVDs that basically re-did Jeff Lew's training DVDs in Messiah would be next.

5. How to Render in Messiah - showing the cool rendering features.

6. Training on Messiah Fur -- take the dog model and add fur. Add hair to the woman Model.

7. Training DVD showing how Taron does the displacement mapping from zBrush to Messiah

8. "Pipeline" training showing taking all of the above into Maya, Max and LightWave.

I wouldn't have the big guns spend more than a couple of hours. Let Taron, Fred, or whomever just do the stuff and film them. It can be edited later, and other people can add detail. (How long would it take one of them to rig a character using the autorigger as a starting point? The point is that you don't want to take down their time on this, but having them on the DVD adds SO MUCH credibility to the whole thing...)

You could sell the starter pack for what you sell Messiah for, probably. As an add-on for existing users, sell it for $199. Maybe offer an "Upgrade special" -- show us a valid license of any other 3D software pack, and get Messiah + the starter kit for ... I don't know... $499.

Now you have something that someone can get and take a week or so and say: "Oh, I get it. I know how to use this, and how to include it in my pipeline."

Yes, you can learn ALL of the above on your own, and MOST professionals will not need 50% of it to get started -- but the question is: "Which 50% do you leave out?" By including it all, you have a great "Out of the box" experience -- which is what we used to always strive for in Product Management.

If they open the box and love it, they will stay with you for life.

Just my $.02...

lanosrep1
02-29-2008, 06:56 PM
I have to agree with you that Pmg could definitely use PM and PR.. I also agree with you on your approach.. at least on the point of the learning pack...

Hopefully when Fred and Taron come up for air, they will be able to address those issues... the new version is a shot in the arm.. and docs and learning tools need to follow that up soon to keep the momentum!

my and your 2Cnts :)

Bugpoo
02-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I agree about how neat it would be to see a slew of video tutorials uploaded for the community to browse....but...I also think that if you have a specific question it'd be more beneficial to just ASK. The veteran users here are extremely helpful and by posting real world examples, other users can benefit more than just a general feature overview video. Everyone here is busy working and being able to hone in on specific questions to help people acclimate themselves is much more doable.
I've chewed my cud and will return to the pasture... :shrug:

lanosrep1
02-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Watch out for cow pies... :)

Thanks for your continued support or Messiah.. really like your work!

I agree about how neat it would be to see a slew of video tutorials uploaded for the community to browse....but...I also think that if you have a specific question it'd be more beneficial to just ASK. The veteran users here are extremely helpful and by posting real world examples, other users can benefit more than just a general feature overview video. Everyone here is busy working and being able to hone in on specific questions to help people acclimate themselves is much more doable.
I've chewed my cud and will return to the pasture... :shrug:

Julez4001
02-29-2008, 07:39 PM
No taron just created a LW video, point is that he has made pay4view tutorial.

I'll say that watching videos, especially Joes, of the workflow sometimes charge the juices and one can pretty much their own problems just by looking at how to put things together especially when it comes to stacking Effects and stringing expressions together. that was my entire point of requests. A generic Shader construction will help when trying to figure how to create a certain treebark on your plantlife character?

Davewriter
02-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Wandering around at a sci-fi convention and seeing AM for the first time... and a big selling point in my brain was that it had "everything you need" in the box. Maybe I had no idea on how to model, but there were figures all set to go that I could do something with.
I really believe that there is a huge audience out there for a program that would have a "base" version that would include some pre-rigged charactors, some cut and paste motions, presets for rendering - could do pretty well.
From there, upgrades, for more features would be a natural.

ravioli_rancher
02-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Heaps of footage covering the Renderer, in depth, would be fantastic.

In the realm of the Somewhat Related:

Over on ZBrush central, a potential buyer recently asked about general impressions on Messiah (particularly the hair and rendering options):

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=435132#post435132

The mystery of Messiah is that only about ten people on earth know how to use it, but they're not allowed to talk about it because of nondisclosure agreements.

It's The Invisible Man (or Woman, who knows, 'cause it's invisible) of the CG industry. :)

TylerAZambori
03-01-2008, 01:28 AM
The mystery of Messiah is that only about ten people on earth know how to use it, but they're not allowed to talk about it because of nondisclosure agreements.

That's a weird thing to say. what about people like that South African studio
that's using messiah for their movie? what about Boris Goreta? Or Kursad?
I'm sure there are many others who know how to use it, who aren't privy to the
secrets. Why are you saying that?

Ulven
03-01-2008, 01:56 AM

For each production, there's often quite a bit of training going on inside the production where you improve the skills of the staff so that they are most productive. But not everyone spends their time on the forums, and certainly not everyone either has or specifically takes the time to make general training videos for others to watch. That kind of requires some extra effort, and it's not always easy to know what people want to learn generally as well.

Your general point though, that messiah is kind of unknown at the moment, is true, and I think we should try to strive for that to change, through helping eachother learn both old and new techniques within the program, so that knowledge is not ever lost once gained by someone. Increase the collective memory and learning as it were. A bit of community building while we're at it :) But don't think of it like that means only the experts should bestow their knowledge upon the people. Remember that whatever level you are at, once you have learned something that took you a while to learn. Write something about it down or make a nice little video tutorial about it if you can. Provide example scenes etc. The wiki (http://messiah3d.scribblewiki.com/Main_Page) is open for you to add your own notes, and those notes will help others later.

The idea is, if everyone adds a little, the whole becomes a lottle.

MarkInTx
03-01-2008, 03:47 AM
I also think that if you have a specific question it'd be more beneficial to just ASK. The veteran users here are extremely helpful and by posting real world examples, other users can benefit more than just a general feature overview video.

No doubt that is true... But it's not really the same thing. For one thing a lot of people (hard as it is to believe) don't like forums. Some people just want to learn as much as they can on their own, and only ask questions when really stuck.

What I am talking about is a jump start for those efforts. And even when someone gets stuck, and has to ask questions, it is still a real help.

One challenge that not only Messiah has - but every 3D app has -- is some sort of a level set. Everyone comes to the game knowing something different. How does a complete Newbie know enough to ask a specific question? Or, how do you explain an answer if you don't share a comman lexicon?

Q: "How do I change the oil in my car?"
A: "First you have to loosen the oil plug with a wrench."
Q: "Oh.... What's a wrench?"

At least if there were something that took you from A to Z in Messiah, there would be some sort of an established level.

Mind you, absoultely no 3D package has what I am talking about. XSI gives away a sample model and rigger -- but then has no docs that show you how to use it. They give away Digital Tutors DVD, which is OK... but it isn't the same as if XSI put out the DVD themselves.

I don't know what LW offers these days... it used to be they didn't give you much.

But, it would be great to see Messiah become a leader in this...

(And while I'm at it... it would be nice if PMG sponsored something besides a Yahoo mailing list...)

Hehehe... that's funny...

kursad_pileksuz
03-01-2008, 04:46 AM
The biggest problem is that people who have deeper knowledge of Messiah are very very busy nowadays at least it seems like that.

The second problem is that there are quite alot of negative minded messiah users here who would jump to any topic and any conversation (in the name of stating stupid facts, making those invisible truths visible to those who can not see them) to spread their ridiculous ego wherever they can. Even the most helpful topics can turn into amazingly stupid conversation. Just because of that reason many pro users would not stop by and help those who need help. I know that Taron would not even like to hear word cgtalk anymore. Otherwise he is very very eager to help anyone who is seeking help genuinely.

I think that best option for those who would like to advance in Messiah should get Joe`s cds. They are not expensive like gnomon cds and his cds are extremely in depth. He explains all the important concepts for rigging and animation. I think he has 6 for sale and for 150$ you will save countless hundreds of hours.

And messiah users (me, you, Taron, Fred, Fori, everyone) need to get their act together and start contributing to the wiki Ulven started.

Bugpoo
03-01-2008, 06:14 AM
MarkInTx: I see your point and agree, but it's been an ongoing request for years now. Unfortunately, I really don't think the messiah team has the available man power to pull that off. It'd be great if we had some messiah tutorial evangelist take the reigns and get people to contribute. Whether it be html, video, behind the scenes, interviews...etc...
I'm not telling you personally to take over or spend your money/time doing it. I just don't think we'll see it happen until people within the user base organize it and help out those guys. I know a lot of us would be happy to lend what support we can.

KAMAKAZZI
03-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi all,

That is great input Julez and you are right about needing more tutorials on how to use and tame all this power Messiah has to offer, along with using it towards other 3D intital packages.

I am working on tutorials as we speak. I have been messing with shaders and rendering (more so with the texture deformer shader) and how to migrate all that work into 3D Max, Lightwave and Maya.

Also want to cover how to create assets required from ZBrush and how to integrate everything to one finalized result.

So I want to do pipeline techy things as well as target Messiah's render capabilities.

Just takes time with the schedule I am currently involved in.

I would like to see someone attack more tutorials on how to pipeline everything into a game engine and tutorial on Advanced Scripting (so everyone can make more tools for everyone).

It is hard finding a game development job because everyone is focused on Maya and 3D Max.

It would be awesome to have someone show what Messiah can do for the Game industry.

Plus I am creating a short and been recording everything I have been doing and grasping my discoveries through those recordings. I would like to show a complete short and base tutorials off of that with having a final result at hand for display.

My first tutorial will probably be free to help advertise but any other tuts made based on my highend short will probably be commercialized (need some sense of compensation for the hard work).

Nevertheless, I think everyone involved in the Messiah forum topic are great people. They help made this software grow on top of the genuine minds who created this wonderful tool. With that said, I am sure we can put our heads together and create the videos on demand.

You guys can already count me in on being that tutorial evangelist to help build up Uvlen's Wiki setup.

Good topic,

Cypher

Richdj
03-01-2008, 11:09 PM
As someone who has had Messiah for a while, I haven't used it for anything other than a quick play. I think this is a real shame. I have Joes tutes (yes they are excellent), and am in the process of going through them again, as I plan on using messiah heavily in a future project. I think that if there were more tutes out there, both free and pay for, then this would help messiah's growth. I'd love to see something akin to William Vaughans recent 24 hours of tutes for LW (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002).. Alot of basic stuff covered, and it is more like a video manual, but for a noob or someone switching to messiah it would be invaluable. I will, once I feel confident about it make some mini_messiah tutes. but, that could be some time as I need to learn more myself. I would also like to see some 'real world production' tutes as mentioned earlier. Oh yes and while I'm asking, some rendering / texturing tutes would be great...

Rich

MarkInTx
03-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Well, first off, I think I should apologize to Julez for hijacking his thread. He clearly expressed input for a COMMUNITY effort, and I turned it into "PMG should do this." Sorry.

Bugpoo, I would be more than happy to contribute. I do know how to create an out of the box experience -- it's what I did for 9 years. What I don't know, unfortunately, is Messiah!

But I really have a soft spot for it, and I would be happy to help any way I can to see it succeed. I think it is better than most people realize.

I DO think, though, that for it to really succeed, PMG needs to support the effort. The good news is that it wouldn't take as much time as they probably fear. Seriously, it would take like three days of their time -- if someone else organized the project and produced it.

There are really three options available:

1. PMG gets involved and blesses it as a product they can sell.
2. Someone decides to do it on their own as a for-profit-venture
3. The community takes it upon themselves to help themselves.

The first one is really the best bet, and if done right would give PMG more than they can imagine... I wish I could talk to them about it, but I really don't have any "ins" there. Gnomon and D'Artiste are using Taron's talents to sell product -- why doesn't PMG?

The second one is somewhat of a chicken and an egg thing. Most places won't do the training because the market isn't there... but if they did the training, maybe there would be more of a market. As it is right now, I'm guessing neither Joe nor Ulven really made enough on their products to pay for the time the invested in them... so they pretty much do it out of love of the community -- not something you can count on in most production houses.

The third is kind of what we have today, and we can all make a concerted effort to be better at it. The Wiki is a good place to start. The PROBLEM with the third approach is that it won't attract new users much. User Groups have a tendency to become a "click" group very quickly. It's only natuiral. We will build things that interest us. Very little thought will be given about the people who DON'T use Messiah. We have no incentive to ask: "What training could we do to attract them?"

And yet, without that approach (we call it market research in the PM world :) ) the product gets more and more specialized, and becomes less and less appealing to others. It's how you make a niche product.

- SIGH! -

OK... so, with that said, it's all we can do as a community.

As I learn I will do my best to pass on things to the wiki. The good news is that -- since I am stupid -- when I learn something I usually have a great list of things to avoid!

MarkInTx: I see your point and agree, but it's been an ongoing request for years now. Unfortunately, I really don't think the messiah team has the available man power to pull that off. It'd be great if we had some messiah tutorial evangelist take the reigns and get people to contribute. Whether it be html, video, behind the scenes, interviews...etc...
I'm not telling you personally to take over or spend your money/time doing it. I just don't think we'll see it happen until people within the user base organize it and help out those guys. I know a lot of us would be happy to lend what support we can.

opera
03-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Hi,

I am planning to make video tutorials about rendering with messiah 3.

The first one will be "introduction to messiah:render" for beginner (interface + workflow) and an other one for advanced users (print/video, multi pass, compositing, complex shaders, sfx ... ) in production environnement.

The problem is "time", I am freelancer and it's hard to find extra time for personnal project.
I was waiting for this version 3 to see the new features ( To be honest : I was no sure about PMG futur when I got some feedback frome Lyle).

Now, messiah 3 is out.
I see a real strenght in this renderer , the workflow is not simple ( many features are missing but I would love to bring my knowledge to Fori to make it better and competitive).

My second problem is: english is not my native language, so I have to find a way to translate the tutorials.

Stay tuned.... :)

Cheers
Opera

Rectro
03-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Im am a potential new user to Massiah and thought il add my thoughts.

Alot of people have come from a animation background that can take to programs like massiah and view it as simple to learn. Others that are not professionals like me but wish to have high end results (need huge amounts of help avalible) Some learn from text while other learn from visual learning like me. As with most programs once you get to grips with the basics it becomes more pleasent to use.

The number one key thing I look for when looking for a new application is, plenty of video support and a in house forum with a large community.

The same thing can be explained many ways and we all will adapt differetly according to how well a tutorial has been put together. There are two levels of training, one is the kindly given help from the community, and two, are professionaly done where the teacher has the skill in the application and teaching ability.

When I saw Messiah studio the first thing I lookd at was all the video tutorials on the website. These to me are more product overviews, not tutorials. I then look for sightings on the web where there are step by step writen tutorials and have found very little, I dont learn fast enougth from writen tutorials anyhow. Using the manual is the basic key to starting but found that 3 hours of searching in a manual can be shown in 15 min from a video, this is essentialy the breaking point where somone would perchase a application or not.

If I saw one Gnommon or Digital tutors video on getting into Messiah studio, id perchase Messiah in a flash. Why! because they do tutorials well and promote them well by showing a good demo clip.

What id like to see is the following.

1) Rigging, step by step, nothink missed on how to add bones, common mistakes, clear reasonably paced video. No audio dropouts, No clicking on items forgetting the new user will follow only what he is told and will fail if somthink is skiped or done without explanation.

2) Weighting and adjustment showing exsamples of bad weighting and how to fix them. Bring in some laymans explanations to alow the user to understand the whys, whats and hows.

3) Basic setup for bringing in your maps. Difuse, displace,bump, normal maps.

4) adding basic animation and show how to export the movie file and different formats.

Question is woulld I pay for it, dam right I would if I saw some Demo clips to assure me that the teacher knows how to teach, not just how to use the application.

Richdj
03-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi,

I am planning to make video tutorials about rendering with messiah 3.

The first one will be "introduction to messiah:render" for beginner (interface + workflow) and an other one for advanced users (print/video, multi pass, compositing, complex shaders, sfx ... ) in production environnement.

The problem is "time", I am freelancer and it's hard to find extra time for personnal project.
I was waiting for this version 3 to see the new features ( To be honest : I was no sure about PMG futur when I got some feedback frome Lyle).

Now, messiah 3 is out.
I see a real strenght in this renderer , the workflow is not simple ( many features are missing but I would love to bring my knowledge to Fori to make it better and competitive).

My second problem is: english is not my native language, so I have to find a way to translate the tutorials.

Stay tuned.... :)

Cheers
Opera

This would be excellent, I'd be more than happy to pay for these.

Rich

MarkInTx
03-03-2008, 02:54 PM
The number one key thing I look for when looking for a new application is, plenty of video support and a in house forum with a large community.

Well, I understand what you are saying. I am in a very similar boat as you are... I am also a hobbyist, and I am also dependant upon a community's support and training materials.

But, the conclusion I came to is that's really no basis for choosing a product. Poser has a larger community than anyone. Does that make it better? My point being that at some level you do need to choose a product based on capabilities -- even if you are a hobbyist.

When I saw Messiah studio the first thing I lookd at was all the video tutorials on the website.

Really? Interesting... the first thing I looked at was the videos showing what it could do -- and those were jaw-dropping.

If I saw one Gnommon or Digital tutors video on getting into Messiah studio, id perchase Messiah in a flash. Why! because they do tutorials well and promote them well by showing a good demo clip.

Well -- aside from the fact that you have a much higher opinion of Digital Tutors than I do -- there really isn't much PMG can do about what Gnomon and DT chooses to make training videos of.

What id like to see is the following.

Thanks for the list. It is good to know what people want to see, and I'm hoping eventually they will be addressed... In the meantime...

1) Rigging, step by step, nothink missed on how to add bones, common mistakes, clear reasonably paced video. No audio dropouts, No clicking on items forgetting the new user will follow only what he is told and will fail if somthink is skiped or done without explanation.

Joe does have a few of these available -- though I don't think he does a preview. Better yet, use the autorigger! There is a free video there, and in the same amount of time that you spent watching all of Digital Tutors Rigging DVDs in XSI, you could rig ten characters in Messiah. (The difference being that the resulting ten rigs will actually be useful...)

As for the other items on the list, the one thing you have here is a cmmunity -- which may be small -- but is very helpful.

FWIW

Julez4001
03-03-2008, 06:12 PM
So without discussing if we need to do it or not, next replies need to be short and sweet:

What topics should be covered in the videos?

RENDER
RIG
RE-ANIMATE
'RANGLING
RECONSTITUTION

man..whats up with all these "r"s?

:)

LIST people?

No discuss

LIST

Parsec3d
03-03-2008, 06:33 PM
---

Render ---Nodes
Weightmap creation and control..
Animation --rig reuse.. Mocap and retarget over custom rig
PARTICLES and volumetric shaders.

---

MarkInTx
03-03-2008, 06:58 PM
RIGGING:

BiPed
QuadPed
Facial
FUR (plus hair for humans)

RENDERING

Basics
Advanced
Making Skies, Clouds, and environments

Pipeline Tuts:

Using zBrush displacement
Messiah to XSI, MAX and MAYA and back again

lanosrep1
03-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Render... Definitely..

I would like someone to explain in detail the settings in the GI panel.. especially the GI Noise reduction settings..

---

Render ---Nodes
Weightmap creation and control..
Animation --rig reuse.. Mocap and retarget over custom rig
PARTICLES and volumetric shaders.

---

Julez4001
03-03-2008, 10:17 PM
TOOL FOR VIDEO RECORDING & SHARING

http://www.jingproject.com/

KAMAKAZZI
03-03-2008, 11:13 PM
So to eliminate having two different artists making the same tutorial without them knowing it, why not make a list.

I see that OPERA wants to do a render tutorial.

-------I would like to do a pipeline tutorial using ZBrush, Lightwave, Messiah, Max, and Maya (If I can get to it). I was wanting to make a short and show how I made it from scratch--beginning to finish. Wanting to show a full blown "movie making with 3D" approach. Various techniques will show.

Others would like to see other types of rigging, fur, pipelining, etc.

I would like to show what I know while others do the same just not covering over the same thing.

So how about a contingency list first, group some devoted people if needed, and lets get going. Lets turn it to a community thing like ZBrush....why the hellz not?

Good discussion----this thread is interesting...indeed.

Cypher

MarkInTx
03-04-2008, 12:29 AM
So to eliminate having two different artists making the same tutorial without them knowing it, why not make a list.

So how about a contingency list first, group some devoted people if needed, and lets get going. Lets turn it to a community thing like ZBrush....why the hellz not?

Good discussion----this thread is interesting...indeed.

Cypher

To make that work, someone needs to "own" it. Anyone making a tut will send a small abstract to that person, and they can post it -- maybe on the Wiki somewhere? TIPS (Tutorial in Progress). It could list a description, start date and projected end date. That way you can track the tuts as they are being done, and know what is coming out.

What does everyone think? Does someone want to volunteer?

KAMAKAZZI
03-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Well, I am involved in the tutorial session regardless. I have to make tutorials for a presentation at Summer Game Camp here in Austin. Showing what I accomplish here in this forum would be outstanding and would help the youth with this career path tremendously.

Who ever would like to help would be great help to the community in so many ways. Otherwise I am happily obligated to produce means of education material.

I will post updates soon.

Mark, thanks for the helping hand. I shot you an email describing my goals and what you can help out on.

I think this will turn out great if only everyone would stay on task, stay motivated and help each other finish. Key words---Focus and Discipline.

Whatever we do, we need to keep posting updates. Stay involved and lets do this!

Cypher

"Animation is a universal language, the only limit to the animator's ability is the capacity to visualize." -Doug Kelly

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2008, 07:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.