PDA

View Full Version : help me pick a video card

Rabid pitbull
04-17-2002, 09:33 PM
I am finally going to go to the dark side. I am a Mac user, but am going to switch to a pc. :(

I am trying to build a moderatly priced machine to run Lightwave on, I have decided all of the components except for the video card. I am used to 2 or 3 choices at best... now all u spoiled pc users have dozens of choices.:) This is a nice change and i look forward to building a system that actually can be upgraded!

Do you guys know of a site that details/compares many of the seemingly endless choices for video cards. I know i want a geforce something, since they seem to be a good bang for the buck. there are so many different models i dont have a clue what the major differences are. I know the mx class is the low end and the ti is the high end. that is where my knowledge ends....

can you experts point me in a good direction? I would like to spend under $150, so i will probably want a GF2 or GF3 card. Since i am used to my ati rage 128:thumbsdow anything will be an amazing improvement i am sure.

thanks alot for your help!

VayVay
04-17-2002, 10:16 PM
Look around for a GF3 Ti200, you should be able to find one for around the price you're looking to spend. I'm partial to Leadtek, They put faster RAM on their cards than specs require and have excellent quality and overclockability. Also if you can afford to spend a little more you might look into a GF4 Ti4200, you'll get a very good price performance ratio with that. Hope this helps.

And remember: "once you start down the dark path, forever will it hold your detsiny." ;) (I used to be a Mac user myself, good luck with your PC)

-Jason

Valkyrien
04-17-2002, 10:18 PM
Check out the second one on this (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=48&manufactory=1471&DEPA=1) page. GF3 Ti200 for $130. Not a bad deal at all. Best part, if you ever want to do a dual monitor setup, this card supports that! :)

Rabid pitbull
04-18-2002, 04:00 AM
thanks for all your feedback! I did a little tooling around and finally found toms harware page. that site has alot of infortmation on these cards, and i was able to use it and your advice to decide which card is best for me.

I decided to go with a lesser card a leadtek GF2 ti card. I figure it should function well for the short term, and if needed i will upgrade to a GF4 card next year. I am used to mac sloooooooow video cards so this should satisfy my speed cravings for awhile.

thanks agin guys:applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.