PDA

View Full Version : Creating an seamless loop in nCloth?

djhush
02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Does anybody have a suggestion for creating a seamless loop in maya's nCloth?

I'm create a photorealistic flag and I need it to loop constantly (and looking good!).

I've found this thread, but it is for fluids. I haven't tried it yet, so it's going to be interesting to see if it works for nCloth aswell.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-189074.html

Thanks
/anders

particlefx
02-29-2008, 08:22 PM
s it is possible...
cache the required frame for looping
open trax editor...
apply cycle for the created cache....

djhush
03-03-2008, 08:20 AM
I will try this and give feedback if it is working the way I want.

Thank you for the help:-)

/A

djhush
03-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Hello, it's me again.

I've tried the suggestion I've got (with working with cache and cycling in the traxeditor, but it is not creating a seamless loop (which is really important, and basically the problem), but I will try it some more, but the first tests isn't working.

The problem is when the frame starts over from 1 it "hops" between the first and the last fram...

Give you more feedback soon

Duncan
03-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I think it can work to take a cache and duplicate it, blending the head of the cache into the tail to create a seamless loop. Your cache will need to be longer than the loop size, depending on the amount of blending overlap.

However one could get self penetration with simple blending. Another possibility is to cache a sequence, transfer cache to input mesh, offset the start of the cache forward by 50%, then keyframe the input mesh attract from zero to 1 as one approaches the end of the sequence. The cache would be at the mid point by the end of the sequence( due to the offset ). This animation would then loop when played starting at the halfway point going to the end. By using input attract instead of cache blending you guarantee that collision behavior is preserved.

Duncan

yenvalmar
03-06-2008, 05:08 AM
if you rig your original mesh instead of relying wholly on the cloth sim you maybe able to avoid messing with the cache and just keyframe the input mesh attraction parameter up and down at the beginning and end of the loop, prior to even running the sim- assuming your bound mesh is in a pose thats reasonable of course- and you can have a basic looping keyframe animation on your rigged mesh, just animating joints or any number of ways, at a different frequency than the cloth loop, to help hide that the cloth is hitting the same pose. its worked for me! and a bit simpler workflow.

you definitely wouldnt want teh sim to start with the cloth fully rigid but you have already found some workaround to that issue such as running the sim on it to get it nice and waving, then setting that as the start position, so i would do that, delete the sim, then rig the already nicely deformed flag and re apply the cloth on top of that.

it does require some artistic eye with the timing of the blend parameter to make this look natural but frankly i think ive gotten away with it so far- might not work in many situations but thought id throw that in. to me its easier than playing with the cache but im very right brained.

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2008, 05:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.