PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about this software?

Rectro
02-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Hey guys.

Im looking into his software for use with Modo MDD files.

I downloaded the Demo which isnt v3 but am not liking whats happining in the Demo. Im getting this bad mouse over effect where everythink reacts to my mouse. Menus change, I dont see any changes that I click on till I release the mouse and the main work screen flickers every time I move the mouse over the menus. Al I can explain it to look like is very interupting and odd.

Second concern is this software dont seem very established athough it says n the site it gets used for major productions. Iv never even heard of this software till last night and cant find hardly anything on it regarding the internet. Whats more concerning is there is no tutorials at all anywhere, is the manual that good that nobody needs a video tutorial and why hasnt there been any done?

While spending a little time in messiah I couldnt find a way to export the animation in a known video format, even in the manual I couldnt find anything? For now id just like to bring in a arm, add some bones and control rig and animate somthing.

Thanks for any info.

catizone
02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
"I downloaded the Demo which isnt v3 but am not liking whats happining in the Demo. Im getting this bad mouse over effect where everythink reacts to my mouse. Menus change, I dont see any changes that I click on till I release the mouse and the main work screen flickers every time I move the mouse over the menus. Al I can explain it to look like is very interupting and odd."

You have a problem, perhaps video card settings. I've used it for years, without any of those issues.

"Second concern is this software dont seem very established athough it says n the site it gets used for major productions."

Well, what does established mean? You see the productions it was used on. Many of us love messiah for rigging and animating compared to anything else.

"Iv never even heard of this software till last night and cant find hardly anything on it regarding the internet. Whats more concerning is there is no tutorials at all anywhere, is the manual that good that nobody needs a video tutorial and why hasnt there been any done?"

Because you have never heard of it doesn't say anything about the software or its power and usage by professionals. There are small tutorials with the program, including little animted pieces in the docs on how interface features work, etc. If you were at PMG's site, then you would have found their tutorials on the tutorial page. Also, a couple other sites have some up, and Joe Cosman has a set of dvd's available that are great. Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion.

"While spending a little time in messiah I couldnt find a way to export the animation in a known video format, even in the manual I couldnt find anything? For now id just like to bring in a arm, add some bones and control rig and animate somthing."

Read the docs. In the meantime, image export is setup in the Render Tab/Output tab. A movie can be made from the Play/Animation Preview tabs.

Best,
Rick

dobermunk
02-28-2008, 12:46 PM
first of... you have to fit your graphic card settings....
http://messiah3d.scribblewiki.com/Graphic_Card_Settings
Check this link for more info...

2nd concern: there are quite a few tutorials...
if you check these threads you'll find Wegg's Chikega's, and Joe Cosman.
Go here for links: http://www.zoogono.com/

Ulven
02-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Check out http://www.zoogono.com/ for a collection of various tutorials and plugins etc.
Joe Cosman's rigging tutorials is definately among the most recommended.

The manual is also very good at getting you up and started and there are additional information on the wiki http://messiah3d.scribblewiki.com/Main_Page

There's also an autorigger on our site and some videos and tutorials you can check out.

The screen problems you're having are most likely a graphics card issue. If you say what OS and graphics card you have, someone might be able to guide you into fixing it.

As for how established it is, I guess it's been a bit of an unknown workhorse in the animation industry for a while. A lot of the things that lightwave can flaunt as it's productions were animated in messiah if there was character animation involved. Jimmy Neutron for instance was originally animated in messiah. The program started out as an animation plugin for lightwave, but is now standalone with the option to plug it into several programs, however .mdd pipelines for those programs are at least equally common compared to using it directly as a plugin.

Rectro
02-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks for your replys, il check thoes links out soon. My Gfx card is a 8600GT with Vista 32.

Parsec3d
02-28-2008, 05:37 PM
to fix the menu flickering/jumping issue without testing a lot of settings try this:

Display Properties/Settings:Advanced/Troubleshot:HardwareAcceleration: Set this one step down don't worry nothing will get slower in messiah

hope this helps.

Rectro
02-28-2008, 06:17 PM
I put the demo on my main computer and its ok. As im learning Modo I dont think im going to have time to learn this, I still cant find a tutorial that just gets into the guts of it, video with audio.

All I want to do is Demo it just to import my mesh add some bones, tweak the weighting, make a basic animation and export it as a MDD which I dont think the demo will do the MDD export.

Aside from that I will know from doing that if its what I want. Time is a issue with me and as usual I always try a new app out when theres a offer to make me feel rushed. I see that there are some for sale but there are no demos of the quality and no info on how long these videos run for.

Maybe im just going to have to give this a miss as I dont think there is a free video that just shows how to import the mesh, add the bones, adjust the weighting and start moving the model.

I have spent about a hour today and got some bones inserted and to my supprice it auto skinned the mesh ready for animation. Done some moving of the arm which was cool. Id just like to see the process more indepth.

Sil3
02-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Rectro:

Basic Rigging (MA 3.3b):

http://dement3d.com/tutorials/ma-rigging/index.html

Facial Setup (MA 3.3b)

http://dement3d.com/tutorials/ma-facial/index.html

Messiah face Rig:

http://www.3dluvr.com/jonkajtys/messiah_rig/index.htm

Various including Shaders, Poses etc:

http://flarenova.com/Msx/

They are for older versions of Messiah, but im pretty sure it will help you getting around Messiah initially.

kursad_pileksuz
02-28-2008, 06:54 PM
My basic pipeline is pretty much Modo+Zbrush+Messiah=Best.

Getting into Messiah is little tedious in the beginning because things work little differently. But once you are in you will love it.

The doc may not seem very in depth but actually it is very useful I learned alot form the doc. You can also try looking into content folder. There are useful material in there.

I put the demo on my main computer and its ok. As im learning Modo I dont think im going to have time to learn this, I still cant find a tutorial that just gets into the guts of it, video with audio.

All I want to do is Demo it just to import my mesh add some bones, tweak the weighting, make a basic animation and export it as a MDD which I dont think the demo will do the MDD export.

Aside from that I will know from doing that if its what I want. Time is a issue with me and as usual I always try a new app out when theres a offer to make me feel rushed. I see that there are some for sale but there are no demos of the quality and no info on how long these videos run for.

Maybe im just going to have to give this a miss as I dont think there is a free video that just shows how to import the mesh, add the bones, adjust the weighting and start moving the model.

I have spent about a hour today and got some bones inserted and to my supprice it auto skinned the mesh ready for animation. Done some moving of the arm which was cool. Id just like to see the process more indepth.

Rectro
02-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Thankyou so much guys, I realy apreciate your help here.

Sil3, I will check these out and watch them all thankyou.

kursad_pileksuz, Could you direct me to some of your work or tests using these in your pipeline. I use Zbrush, Modo and maybe this app so this is of great interest to me.

Thanks.

kursad_pileksuz
02-28-2008, 07:33 PM
I just posted a rough test just a short time ago under this topic

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=92&t=601053

You should watch that topic since there may be some more tips and tricks posted later.

We used Messiah recently for an underwater creatures-landscape project where zbrush was heavily involved. They are very good companions.

Rectro
02-28-2008, 07:37 PM
I just posted a rough test just a short time ago under this topic

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=92&t=601053

You should watch that topic since there may be some more tips and tricks posted later.

We used Messiah recently for an underwater creatures-landscape project where zbrush was heavily involved. They are very good companions.

What do you use as your finnal render and how would you rate the render engine in this app, say compared to Modo, I was thinking of using MDD for Modo render and maybe the render of this app for hair renders.

kursad_pileksuz
02-28-2008, 07:46 PM
I use Messiah and Modo for render. I think both are very nice renderers. I like Messiah`s renderer because of shader nodes and easy of use. Also I do not need to export anything I can just render the whole thing in Messiah.

I use mainly for modelling, uving and texturing. But things you can do with Modo is not really limited to just those that is for sure.

If you are into organic stuff Messiah definetely offers alot for the "money" as far as rigging and rendering goes.

kursad_pileksuz
02-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Also If you want to use Messiah rendering and zbrush displacement maps together I really suggest you to go with 64bit version. Because you will never need to worry about sizes of you displacement maps and resolution of your meshes anymore as long as you have enough ram. But 32 bit version will be fair enough for most cases thou.

Rectro
02-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Also If you want to use Messiah rendering and zbrush displacement maps together I really suggest you to go with 64bit version. Because you will never need to worry about sizes of you displacement maps and resolution of your meshes anymore as long as you have enough ram. But 32 bit version will be fair enough for most cases thou.

Im running Windows XP 32 on my main pc I do 3d stuff on but I do have 4GB with the PC clocked at 3.2ghz on dual core. All my other apps run very smooth.

Just a thought, If im rendering in Modo I asume I can apply displacments in Modo. Idear was make animation in Messiah export MDD to Modo then apply displacments and bumps e.c.t. Of course im saying this not knowing what Messiah renderer can realy do. Iv looked on the home page for Massiah but dont see any demos showing individual render atributes that this app can achive like SSS, Reflection, Refraction, GI e.c.t.

Ulven
02-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Im running Windows XP 32 on my main pc I do 3d stuff on but I do have 4GB with the PC clocked at 3.2ghz on dual core. All my other apps run very smooth.

Just a thought, If im rendering in Modo I asume I can apply displacments in Modo. Idear was make animation in Messiah export MDD to Modo then apply displacments and bumps e.c.t. Of course im saying this not knowing what Messiah renderer can realy do. Iv looked on the home page for Massiah but dont see any demos showing individual render atributes that this app can achive like SSS, Reflection, Refraction, GI e.c.t.

Displacement and SSS stuff:
http://www.projectmessiah.com/x4/images/gallery/taron/People_daydream.jpg

Some GI/Soft reflection:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2555/archvizww2.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3377/redroomeu2.jpg

Rectro
02-29-2008, 02:12 PM
wow! these are super good. You know what iv seen these and thught that these where rendered in Maya or Max, I cant beleave the renderer is ths good. Is there any write up on what render engine used. Iv looked at the ender settings in v2.5 demo and there hardly seems like anythink there, very impressed if these are rendered in Messiah.

Thanks.

Ulven
02-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah the top one was rendered by Taron.
The bottom two were rendered by me during the beta of 3.

Rectro
02-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I have to admit that im use to Modo render setup, pure pleasure, is there a realtime preview and how long does it take to get a reasonable render.

Iv seen other apps before where some fantastic results where achived from them but found out that it was done by a expert, a tallented one at that. I was trying to load a scene that cane with the demo but nothing was set up to render which I thought was odd. Id like to load a scene and disect the scene to see how it was setup, I learnt loads from Modo doing this.

Thanks again for your input, this is needed as I feel I dont have time to find this info for myself being the offer could end any time.

rush123
02-29-2008, 02:55 PM
There are some scenes available with the package which show different set-ups(I thought), also this forum has many willing uses who answer questions.

Currently there isn’t a ‘realtime preview’ window yet, and the length of time for a reasonable render is one of those ‘impossible’ questions to answer. If you provided a scene I’m sure someone could give you a bench mark for it if required.

R

Ulven
02-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Yep it would indeed be good to have more example scenes.
With regards to Taron's image he is certainly quite an expert as you describe it and a talented one at that. Different levels of quality will obviously be achieved by different artists no matter what package you're using. I wouldn't consider myself to be an expert on rendering though and I didn't feel quite comfortable enough to cover the new features on that side more than generally in my tutorials on the pmg site. I'll leave that to someone more skilled in rendering than me.
We could certainly do with more example scenes and tutorials for the new rendering features, both on the new GI and on Hair etc. Hopefully other artists that have got their hands on 3 will help contribute with that as my time right now is very limited.

Rectro
03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
What I learn I also teach as I like to help others get to grips with new software. I just made 11 starter videos to get the new user into Modo. If I got this application I would be right on the ball teaching others.

All I need to do now is sell my Poser 7se and iv got the extra money needed.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.