PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4

yahll
04-17-2002, 09:38 PM
It's not really finished but close enough ;)

http://www.yahlls.com/images/3dgallery/a4b.jpg

Modeled and rendered in lw

Lewis3D
04-17-2002, 09:46 PM
Looks realy good. Nice job on modeling and rendering. Can you show us more views ? maybe an wireframe too. BTW i would like to see shadows under car so it would require some palane under car :). That building_probe.hdri suits him well.

Little nitpick woild be to right rain whiper (one what's further away from camera in this shoot). Rain whipers must be closer to each other and you have abot 50cm gap between them and ending of windshield :) - so i think you need to make them little longer and closer each other.

yahll
04-17-2002, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the advice about the rain whippers :thumbsup:

and here (http://www.yahlls.com/temp/wire.jpg) is the wireframe...
As you can see the patchs doesn't match from one part of the car to the next one, that is because it has been modeled in pieces, like a real car.

About showing more views... first I have to finish the back, and then I'm going to do a QTVR :bounce:

Gilgamesh
04-17-2002, 10:10 PM
the modelling looks pretty solid, (although I don't really know cars) so I would suggest a little work on the lighting and rendering. The scene is a little dark, we can't really see in some places where the car ends. The reflection map looks a little odd...there might be some pixellation on the windshield, and that yellow spot right in the middle kind of throws me off (What is that?) Also, there is some aliasing problems, I don't know if that is because you didn't antialias the raytracer of if that is actual geometry.
However, overall it is a better car model than I could pull out, so kudos. I hope that all helped.

yahll
04-17-2002, 10:18 PM
Here is a previous render, a little more clear but more incomplete :) (just look at the left front wheel)

http://www.yahlls.com/images/3dgallery/a4.jpg

About the lightning and render... I know... I just wanted to show the model. The actual idea is to composite it into a real video, so the lightning and surfacing really depends of the footage.

diazgl
04-18-2002, 01:04 AM
nice model, a cleaner render, or wireframe or even screendump would be a bit more useful to study the model though.

Lewis3D
04-18-2002, 07:07 AM
Ok now i can see much more on this model when you are show me wireframes :)

1. you have too much polys but if is OK for your machine then nothing serious to worry about :)
2. But as you saying about modeling separate parts that's not "excuse" for haveing so different pieces (i mean different number of patches). Because that differences you can have problems on very close renderings because sections arent same polycount.
3. When you use subDs it is best to have same amout of patches on all parts that meet each other.
4. For instance rear door windshield is OK but front door windshield is 2 times bigger in polycount ??? whay is that ? it is totaly unnecesary and you will only have longer renderings and better chance for wierd dents or so :). Also front/rear windshield could produce same quality with half ot their polycount (maybe even less than half :))

This is just a post when i'am try to help, nothing to worry about or so - I still like the model and render - keep it running :D.

yahll
04-18-2002, 07:57 AM
I totally agree about the windshields I didn't really care about them and I totally forgot, Thanks :)

but about the same amout of patches... since I'm leaving space between the parts of the car, I don't see why should they match,(that space is cover by some "inside pieces"). Actually I made it like that for closer renders

ToddD
04-18-2002, 09:56 PM
That is a fantastic model! I think you really need to render it in a more flattering environment. The first render is just too black, as stated you lose the car in the background. The other render has some unnecesary DOF, which IMO, is hiding all the things you worked soo hard to model. My advice would be to work on the lighting and environment. DOF is a nice effect, I just think people overuse it in situations where it is uncalled for. Personally, I'd love to see a clean render with a lighter background.

EighthDecay
04-18-2002, 10:45 PM
I love seeing how well lightwave ussers make cars,, that program must have a great modeler,, never have gotten to use it,, hope I do some day. Lewis's tutorial just amazes me how easy it looks to get a perfect looking model,, even your model looks very well done,, can't wait too see more renderings of it.

yahll
04-19-2002, 12:18 AM
I didn't want to re-render and change the surface setting because I don't know yet where is it going to be, but anyway.. here is another render.
http://www.yahlls.com/images/3dgallery/a43.jpg

jeremy weldon
04-19-2002, 09:27 AM
well all i can think of is "wow" what an excellent job.

diazgl
04-19-2002, 06:05 PM
Hmm, much better. I'd fix the texture parametres of the car a bit, and watch out for the area near the lights. I haven't seen this model of Audi on the road, but is that correct?

Dangeruss
04-19-2002, 07:48 PM
Cars are my nemisis, so you won't get critique from me. This really looks to be a very fine model. The latest render (the red one) exhibits some odd reflections near the headlight that make the geometry look like it's bulging out. The mesh you posted doesn't seem as if it would cause that.

The wheels and tires are superb! Very well done and realistic.

diazgl
04-20-2002, 12:07 PM
i agree with Dangeruss, the are near the headlights shouldn't render like dat, according to the model

yahll
04-20-2002, 12:32 PM
:eek: Ups You are right, Thanks, looks like I've move some polys from the front while I was finishing the back... I hate when that happens :annoyed:
Thanks,:bounce:

diazgl
04-20-2002, 01:01 PM
well, i'm sure you know this, but when I am working with lots of polys, i just focus on the ones i'm working on at the moment, and hide the rest ("-" sign to hide selected, and "=" to hide all the rest).

yahll
04-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Yep, I know that, but sometimes looks like I just want to screw up my self :D
Anyway thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.