PDA

View Full Version : Need Helping Setting up Fishing Line

Alive
02-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey Guys,

I am working on a project that includes a man fishing in it. I am now trying to find the best way set up my fishing line. There were a few things that i have to think about. I will need to be able to really controlle what the line is doing. also i will somehow need to be able to make the line shorter when i real it in. If you have any segestions on how i can do this please let me know.

Thanks =)

-Josh

Aikiman
02-27-2008, 08:55 PM
okay you ask a lot. My idea is to use a curve and convert to soft body with goal object. Connect the goal object ends using cluster handles to reel and hook and reduce goal weights on particles to zero in component editor (except for the particles close to the real and hook, leave at 1), then add springs. You can then extrude a circle along the curve for your render.

Getting the line to wind up reel will be harder since you would have to create collisions with the particle and rod and reel. This would probably mean your curve would have to have at least a few thousand CVs to begin with to get the nice collisions, depending on the length of your line obviously.

Alive
02-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks,

I will give That a Shot. One thing i am thining about doing is just cheating it and having a line that go's from the end of the rod to the reel. It dosent really have to change besides with the bend of the pole. Then i could have another line going form the end of the pole into the water. What do you think?

Aikiman
02-27-2008, 10:42 PM
yeah I guess so depending on how far the camera is from the line, that way you wouldn't have to worry about collisions. Im not sure how you would animate the softbody winding in though, maybe someone else has another suggestion.

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2008, 10:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.