View Full Version : boujou 2 problem

sekhmet
05-03-2003, 09:17 PM
hi everyone
here's the deal:

i've tracked a dv video i've done and exported it to max 5
the problem is i have depth information i shouldn't have
let me make myself clear:

the video is just a slow camera movement above a table in a kitchen with some items on. no motion blur, no grainy picture, no complicated movement...

i track the video and solve the tracks, go in 3d mode and tada i have points that should be on the table that go far from that
it becomes obvious when i use "insert 3d geometry", it's not aligned at all and of course not much in max

does it have anything to do with my cam (sony dcr pc 4e)?

thanks for your answers!!!!!!:) :) :)

chrisz
05-04-2003, 12:45 AM
robably the problem is in boujou and i mean not the program itself but some thing you have to set there.
if you have read the tutorials you must know that 3dsmax have a diferent axis orientation then boujou and for this reason in boujou under the edit tab at preferences and 3d display you must find something like "prefered camera orientation" you must change the default setings to "Z-up, Y-forward" as they are in 3dsmax and this probably should do if i understud corectly your problem if you refer to axis
if you could post a screenshot to see exactly what you have there maby i can help you with beter explanations and sorry for my english :)
regards
chrisz

sekhmet
05-04-2003, 06:18 AM
hi
i've already set the axis to "Z-up Y-forward" but it does only flip the orientation of the whole thing

with the screenshot you'll see that the points that should be on a plane (selected green) are not in 3d space

i think i might have done something wrong but where?
when i exported this to max and put a plane on the horizontal surface (i placed the video on the background) it would just slip!
the objects were not "locked" to the back ground video

thanks again!

Infinity3d4life
05-05-2003, 02:42 AM
I did a track with boujou probably something similar to what your trying to do..
Motion Track (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58730)

What you might have to do is watch the track sequence over and over again then look for points or Predictions that don't move.. Sometimes when you select point that are going to represent your ground plane you end up getting points that are moving..

sekhmet
05-05-2003, 07:41 AM
yep this is quite the camera movement i'm trying to track
i'll follow what you told me but what do you mean by selcting points: do you mean selecting points before the camera solving?
thx

Infinity3d4life
05-05-2003, 09:12 AM
An easy method to use is to import your footage and then just hit the track it button.. After it is finished it will automatically track the camera... Once that is done you can select point and add the test 3d objects so that you can see just how stable your track is going to be.. How big is the file that your tracking???

sinistar
05-08-2003, 05:30 AM
how much does boujou cost? Im using Maya Live right now and it seems cool but I can't figure out how to setup the ground plane. Is it as difficult as it seems. Cause it seems really hard with a rotating 180 degrees camera.

xeno
05-08-2003, 04:01 PM
u really dont want to purchase boujou, since itll cost u around $10.000.

sinistar
05-08-2003, 04:51 PM
is that 10.00 and your joking or $10,000 and your serious?
:)

I am just a little daunted with the task of putting a ground plane in a scene with a camera rotating and having it actually line up.

Infinity3d4life
05-08-2003, 05:17 PM
YEP.. it's up there.. way up there...You might luck out and find someone that still has the Free copy of Icarus lying around.. Icarus is a pretty good tracker in it's own right also..

sinistar
05-08-2003, 06:08 PM
not to get into a software war here but what is it that Icarus and Boujou have that Maya Live doesn't have?

xeno
05-08-2003, 08:19 PM
I dont know Maya Live but i know Boujou since ive had the privelege of working with it. The biggest advantage i think would be the automatic tracking feature, plus the fact that u dont need any measurements for the tracking, even though it may come in handy when u composite the scene.

Icarus is a different matter, since it doesnt have any auto tracking features. It is however more then just tracking, u can "easily" rebuild the tracked geometry and even extract textures from the original footage. Also, icarus gives u the option to stabilize a wobbly shot shot.
Remember tho, Icarus requires u to manually track all ur stuff!

edit:
I do have to add tho, that although still expensive, Matchmover is also a pretty awesome piece of tracking software! The professional version also has the auto track ability and is a lot less expensive then boujou, about half the price. Still of course, pretty expensive

Infinity3d4life
05-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Xeno, I'm pretty sure that Icarus has auto tracking now.. The last build i used had it along with user tracking..

Maya Live?? I've never heard about it, but would be nice to see some things on it..

Matchmover is nice, but i just couldn't get the hang of setting up coordinate systems in that package..

If someone came out with a nice tracking package and could offer it at around 500 bucks they would be a millionaire overnight...Too bad i'm an idiot or i would try to make one myself

xeno
05-08-2003, 09:28 PM
could indeed be that icarus supports AT, shame of course it aint free no more:) About the matchmove coordinates thing, A teacher of mine gave me some advice about it, since ive also had the chance of working with that one. Its pretty tricky, but its doable, IF, u do it manually in 3D mode, this way u can just point where x and z have to go through. Of course, this is if u havent already tried it, and still, it remains to be not the easiest part of Matchmoving.

sekhmet
05-09-2003, 08:37 AM
okay okay
I still don't know how to do with my shot

Infinity3d4life : the sequence is quite big (442 pictures with jpeg max quality) but i can reduce its size if you want to try it

i tried to track with a mask not including some suspicious part and ......... it went worse
why is bouou giving me these depth informations? strange...

Infinity3d4life
05-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Sure i would love to give it a shot... PAss it over mate

andre_alder
05-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Hey buds,

And about Matchmover pro.... We receive a try-out and looks great. Even better Boujou...

AD

sekhmet
05-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Infinity3d4life
back there with some footage:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/metang/sequence.zip
7Mo

i put 100 frames only to reduce the sizebut i think it would be enough for the tracking
if it's not, tell me and i'll put the whole online

thanks!!:)

chrisz
05-11-2003, 07:09 PM
here is something i tried to do
tell me if it is what you are looking for
regards
chrisz

p.s. i know that the shadow is not right but as an ideea

Infinity3d4life
05-12-2003, 08:43 AM
i tracked the scene what 3d software are you importing into???

sekhmet
05-13-2003, 08:56 AM
chrisz: yep i think this is what i want, so how did you do it, what did i miss, where is the "click here and i'll solve all of your tracking problems" button? :)

Infinity3d4life: i am using max

so tell me how did you manage to get the shot tracked?

chrisz
05-13-2003, 10:26 AM
all you have to do is to press F8 and track your footage and after that you must set planes (xy plane).
you must pick at least 3 points in the same plane and assign them - i mean you must tell boujou that those 3 poins are in the same plane. soory for my poor english i hope you understand what i told you :)
later this day i`ll try to make some screenshots and show you exactly.
regards
chrisz

kag122
05-14-2003, 08:45 AM
If you want boujou to focus on objects in the forground, apply a target track to those areas. This i will fix your problems.
It could be just the fact that you dont have enough tracking information for boujou in the foreground if this is so, not many other tracking softwares are going to help.

sekhmet
05-16-2003, 11:13 AM
thanks everyone for your comments!
i'll try your solutions

Infinity3d4Life: what's up with you?

chrisz
05-17-2003, 12:45 PM
do you need a 3dsmax scene? i`ll do that for you
put here all frames for track entire camera move and i`ll give you the final thing - a 3dsmax scene
regards
chrisz

sekhmet
05-18-2003, 11:43 AM
okay:
here we go: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/metang/sequence.rar
this is the entire sequence (31Mo)

but can you tell me how you tracked the shot? did you run the automatic process or did you do something special?

thanks!!!

o2rulez
05-20-2003, 08:09 AM
I took the liberty of tracking your footage, and put together this little testrender (http://www.home.no/ottothorbo/testrender.mov) . Never mind the terribly misdirectional shadow and the bad integration, this was for educational purposes only. Here is how i proceeded :

1. I imported your footage, chose free camera move and constant focal length, setting it to run at 25 frames.

2. I added calibration lines as shown in the following picture

http://www.home.no/ottothorbo/calibration.jpg

3. I then chose track features, and checked the "Camera track on completion" checbox. (After that you just have to wait for a while)

4. When tracking completed all that was left to do was to to describe the scene. i picked a track in the centre of the table as origin. ( check in your 3d view that your track is actually in the centre of the table, and not far off in the distance ) I picked 3 points to describe the z-x plane (illustration below)

http://www.home.no/ottothorbo/describe.jpg

and that's it.. insert a 3d test object to check your scene.. if all is well, choose to export camera track to the 3d app of your choice. settings should be Static scene, moving camera..

Hope this helps, please post the result :thumbsup:

sekhmet
05-23-2003, 05:57 PM
wow!:) :)
thanks a lot for all your explanations!
i'll try soon and i'll let you know!!!

thanks again

sekhmet
05-24-2003, 04:09 PM
here am i again :hmm:
i did exactly as you told but i still got problems with orientation
the movement seems to be ok but i have problem orienting the table surface and the ground in 3dsmax
this gives me prespective problems of course
i read about putting "z-up y-forward" in the 3d display option in boujou and that's what i did. i then put a x-y plane as ground reference but ... still not well oriented

i've put along the files i have tracked if you have some time to look at...:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/metang/cgtalk/cuisine-cgtalk.ban
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/metang/cgtalk/cuisine-cgtalk.ms

thanks

chrisz
05-24-2003, 04:35 PM
try this
http://chrisz.rdsar.ro/proj.ms
tell me if it is ok
regards
chrisz

sekhmet
05-25-2003, 09:14 AM
thanks chrisz

the movement is ok, there is still some really really slight jitter but i think this is due to my poor video quality..
so tell me how did you do it?
the same way o2rulez did?
and what about orientation?

(geez! i hope i will succeed one day!!:rolleyes:)

thanks alot again for all your help

chrisz
05-25-2003, 10:33 AM
folow exaclty what o2rulez did and you will succed
regards
chrisz
p.s. sorry for not explaning but do not know so much english :( and i do not find my words

sekhmet
05-25-2003, 02:15 PM
okay thanks alot
i'll do everything again until it's working!!

"hey boujou, i'm gonna get you!..."

thx

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.