PDA

View Full Version : The Last Bastion, Juan Martin (2D)

JM-art
02-27-2008, 01:32 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/302652/302652_1204079558_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/302652/302652_1204079558_large.jpg)

Title: The Last Bastion
Name: Juan Martin
Software: Photoshop

Image done with the concept of "medieval battle" in mind.I planted a camera in 3dmax with some bipeds in the scene and a few boxes for have a reference. Im loking for c&c.
Cheers.

MadMacs
02-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Nicely done Juan, Nicely done. :)

May I humbly add a little C&C. In my opinion, this seems like a cold gray day. Grayish hues should dominate with less color to attackers hand, facial features and grass. Picture his hand cold loss of color. There should be less in color than the fore battle. The horse has a breath that can be seen. Lightly, maybe the combatants should show the same. The mist on their breath, I mean. I would think that the even in such atmosphere that shadows would exist, yet e small and localized. Try using tiny circles for the chain mail rather that cross-hatch. If I may, add I would light up that dragon, though dim as not to take away from the foreground conflict.

Thanks for sharing! Good Job!

JM-art
02-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi MadMacs, thanks a lot for posting. I agree with you about everything..the colours, the mist on the breaths warriors, and the lack of shadows. I want to thank you for the kind words too, they mean a lot to me.

Cheers.

Daywish
07-05-2008, 09:05 AM
It must be really difficult to do a painting with so many figures in action.I like it grey, it creates the mood and adds some retrospective feeling of tragedy.

JM-art
07-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Yes, it was realy a challenge, and i had to finish it in 4 days from the sketchs to the final image. My objective was to finish it(good or bad), and to learn something, but i realize that it has too many things to change or improve. Thanks for comment and im glad that at least the mood of the picture that you describe is what i wanted to invoque.

RossHildick3D
12-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey - recently you posted a rather "harsh" comment about my work... Just wanted to say that I actually really like the work you've got up (really) but i think the same can be said about you... love the colours however, I think the wish-wosh of the sky (which I like) makes the colours of the men and other things look a bit "silly" (for lack of a better word...) all in all i think the people commenting are being a bit over enthusiastic about the whole thing, I could probably come out with something pretty close to as good as this and I don't think I can draw particually well... 4/5 - to be kind :)

**EDIT**
That was a bit un-consrtructive, sorry. There are no shadows and and balls on the chain are levitating. The hourse's head is almost half the size of the man sitting on it, there is no real glow from the fire and the armour of the men fits too perfectly on them, or was each piece of their kit tailored to fit perfectly to their muscles?

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2008, 08:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.