PDA

View Full Version : rigging a rat

blurgh
02-26-2008, 10:45 PM
hey!
Im watching ratatouille at the moment on DVD and its inspired me to aniamte a rat... SO I was thinking of making a simple rat rig with only sectional geomatry, that would need to be able to move around on all fours and go up on its hind legs..

Am I right in thinking a sensible way to rig it would be....

Normal IK legs for back set, IK/FK legs for the front?

Spline IK for the spine with a hip and a shoulder control? with an independent head control?

How does that sound?

What would be a sensible bind position?

Thanks in advance!

-D

scroll-lock
02-27-2008, 07:08 AM
It's always tricky to do four leg- two leg transitions. It depends on the shots you are going to animate. For a basic rat that would do the trick. I recently had the chance to shoot some reference of a rat /a home mouse/ if you are willing to see , here it is , hope it helps a little :)

http://www.scroll-lock.eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=74&Itemid=1

blurgh
02-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Hey dude,
thanks for the reply.. your videos dont appear to be working for me- tho it could just be my computer playing a merry little game with me.. :(

Pyke
07-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey man. I know this is reviving a dead thread-but did you have any luck with your rat rig? Im trying to do something similar, and was wondering if you had any success?
Im using MAX, but the theory is all the same. ;)

XminusOne
07-14-2008, 03:36 PM
On Highend3d there's a great dane rig that Goosh made a while ago, reverse engineering that one helped me a ton a while back. I would highly recommend having a look at it at least. You'll need some pretty advanced rigging skills to understand what he did, but if you can figure it out, it would be great for a quad-to-biped setup, especially if you set-up some IKFK blending on the limbs. Just a suggestion.

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2008, 03:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.