PDA

View Full Version : Modo>3dsMax export??

musashidan
02-26-2008, 11:22 PM
hey,i'm having some trouble exporting Modo meshes to 3dsMax.I've tried .obj and .fbx with no luck.Obj says the vert numbering is incorrect and .Fbx crashes Max.
I really want to use Modo as part of my workflow as it's so amazing.however,if i can't get a mesh into Max,then i'll have to unwillingly dismiss it.:sad:
Has anyone here succeeded in such.
Also,when exporting from Modo,both fbx and obj exporters say Modo complex textures cannot be included correctly.If this is the case then this would be a huge downer...

does anyone know of a specific script/exporter for a Modo>Max workflow.

cheers.

yan
03-02-2008, 12:24 PM
for me, the obj export work really good between modo and max(and all other apps...)
and i never saw such message 'vert numbering is incorrect ' :/
the thing is .OBJ will export only the model, and surface id. but not the shader etc.
you have to redo the surfaces when in max.
i dont use fbx as the obj always work good.
do you check and clean up your object before exporting it? maybe a merge, unify and some vertex cleaning will make the stuff.

if you want to keep the surfaces you made on modo, the best solution is to bake the diffuse etc, and reapply it in max, as you will not be able to exploit the shader from modo in max.

musashidan
03-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the advice.I've since exported successfully using .Obj.The problem was that a i was using the guruware obj exporter which didn't do a good job of it.
The regular Max obj exporter works fine.

Will the exporter preserve my UV's from Modo to Max?

yan
03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
yep the UV will stay in place, obj keep it without problems.
a Unwrap UVW in the stack in max will make it work without any problems.

musashidan
03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Cheers Yann,that's good to know,as i've heard Modo's UV tools are excellent.

yog
03-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Yep, OBJ works for me.
Couple of gotchas, try and keep your polys to tri's or quads as OBJ's have problems with ngons with high vert counts. Also make sure your exported model only has one UV map, as OBJ's can only handle the one.

Other than that I use OBJ's to swap models in and out of MAX/Modo all the time with no problems.

musashidan
03-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Other than that I use OBJ's to swap models in and out of MAX/Modo all the time with no problems.

cheers Mark.I'm relieved as i never liked the Max/Zbrush UV transfer woes:scream:

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2008, 10:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.