PDA

View Full Version : adding graphic to a car

DavidStokes
02-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi all.

I've been getting to Car Photo modifcation over the past few months but i cant seem to get this working for me.

I'm wondering if anyone had any tip on how to add Images/logo/graphics to a car and make it look like it's car of the car. I've seen some tutorails from this site http://www.carbodydesign.com/car-design-tutorials.php but nothing like i'm needing.

At the moment i'm trying to add the WRC image to the side of a car but i cant wrap the image onto the car surface to make it look like it's always there...

Can anyone help me out ?

3dj
02-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Hi, can you post the images you are trying to work with? I'll take a look.

-Jim

DavidStokes
03-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi sorry for the long delay i was away

here are the 2 images... i want to place the WRC image angled across the back panel going onto the window a little.

http://www.davidstokes.com/v/wrc/

thanks.

Calegolas
03-02-2008, 04:32 PM
since Ive been to the W2C in Argentina last year I feel competent enough to help you out:D

Well Its not that of a Problem.

1. In order to get the look of being on the car cut the logo out of the image (The Magic wand will do a good job in this case). Then use the smudgetool with a strength o 2% an a soft rounded brush to get rid of pixelated borders.

2. lower th opacity of the logo for the moment in order to be able to see whats going in behind .
on smooth edges you could use the warp tool (edit>transform>warp) or liquifytool (filter>liquify) and force the shape of the logo flowing with the shape of the car, so that the logo bends arround the forms of the car. take some major lines of the car as a guide of how the logo has to be deformed.

3.set the logos opacity back to 100%. Try a blendmode like multiply, Soft light or Overlay, etc.
In most cases you will be happy with just selecting a blendmode.
on the other hand The image might lose the "color" and nearly disappear in the car .
zo fix this. make shure that the placement is done and Ctrl+Click on the icon of the logo in the image palette (this selects the outline of the logo).
With the selection active click on the layer with the car and hit Ctrl+J (this creates a layer via copy).
The layer has the outlines of the logo and the color of the car. What you will only need is the shadow information of the cars shape. So go to Image>desaturate.
with the original logo on top now you can try to select again a Blendmode.
This way you will preserve the color of the logo.

There are a couple of more things you could do....but you already will get a good result this way.

Hope I could Help you.

3dj
03-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi, take a look at this, maybe it will help, let me know. Be sure to notice the custom blend mode on the top layer's properties, Blend if grey settings.

-Jim

Calegolas
03-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Ive described it in detail for you.

Since it was my second post it is still waiting to be watched by the jury:)

so in a while it will be there... I hope ;)

skAt3f0r71f3
03-03-2008, 12:13 AM
nicely done 3dj!

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2008, 12:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.