PDA

View Full Version : manipulatorMoveContext

Winner
02-26-2008, 06:15 PM
hey,

I`m trying to figure out if I can create a custom manipulatorMoveContext to control a specific set of translation attributes separate to the current object in my selection.

so say I had a cube, and a null. I want to select the CUBE, but using a different context, I want to send the output data from the manipulator to the NULL instead... so really I would see the null moving not the cube...

why the crap would I want to do that ?? ... heres the reason.

I have a simple animation layer system where I have two sets of translation XYZ curves adding together to perform the final translation ( I have the default animCurveTL, and a new animCurveTL driving the final transformation ), but i can only ever seem to affect the first initial maya default translation curves with the manipulator

is this possible through mel? or only through API ?

i posted similar before but got no reply... please help.

meagane
02-29-2008, 04:54 PM
yeah, the manipulators in maya.....
this is a sad story.
the manipulator nodes are hidden and I don`t think there is a way to access their data.

Or did you find a solution?

autodesk should make the manipulators more accessible and make them more autonomous.
I need the manipulator for rotation to be oriented individually so desperately, I would pay good money for that :sad:

Winner
02-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Yeah, Ive had this post and a similar one on here for a while and nobody has responded except you.

It appears this isn't possible... which seems very limiting to me. At least I cant do what I needed to do now anyway ;)

goleafsgo
02-29-2008, 05:53 PM
So you want to be able to select the cube, and keep it selected, but have the move manipulator actually move something else?

How is the cube and the curve linked? i.e. how do you know what the other thing is that you want drive instead of the cube?

Winner
02-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks goleafsgo,

I know it sounds dumb.. but heres the logic..

The cube is being driven by two sets of animCurve data. So for example, for a simple translation in Y, I have two animCurveTL nodes adding together through a plus/minus/average node, and the final output is being piped to the translate Y of the cube.

Of course.. what happens then is that maya sees the translateY as connected, so it colours the channel yellow in the channel box, and will not allow any upwards translation using the move manipulator.

So what I want to do is to be able to move the manipulator up in Y, but send the result of the manipulation to control the Y curve of one of the animCurveTL nodes, instead of it just seeing that channel as being "connected" and not allowing any manipulation..

does that make sense?

the core of the problem is that I have a pretty robust animation layers system, but the transformations are only editable through direct manipulation of the curves, which is pretty crappy.. i want to be able to select a certain "layer" ( a specific animCurve node ) and be able to manipulate it interactivley with the manipulator.

Buexe
02-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Have you tried pairBlend nodes? They allow you to change transform values, although connected.

CGTalk Moderation
02-29-2008, 07:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.