View Full Version : Painting apps

Braxton858
02-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm currently looking to buy one of the following:
Corel Painter X
Corel Painter Essentials 4
ArtRage 2

I'm aware of the price difference, but I need some user buying advice.
I have used Photoshop before.

I do plan on using a Wacom Intuos3 6x8 tablet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Cost is a factor but I would consider spending a little more if it's worth it.
Thxs. :)

tomt
02-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Hands down, Painter X. Painter essentials is basically a light version with some neat cloning and autopaint functions but are also in Painter X.

Simplifying, Painter X=Professional, Painter Essentials 4 is the amateur version. Art rage is a whole different thing, and fun to play with, but still not a professional program.

I believe Wacom Intuous 3 comes with Painter Essentials 3 as a freebie, maybe even even Essentials 4 now. I haven't checked lately. Great choice on the tablet by the way.

joeparis
02-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Without question, Painter X. You could do some nice work with Artrage; there's enough there to keep you busy and learn the processes of digital painting plus you can still use it after you buy Painter. I'd say forget Painter Essentials as you will want the full version very quickly after you experience its limitations. I'm not sure if you can upgrade to the full version - don't think so, therefore it will be a waste of money.

Buy painter X!

genocell
02-27-2008, 02:43 AM
If anything you should download the trial first before making a decision... See how the program runs on your computer, just in case.

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2008, 02:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.