PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Freeze Effect

Umix
02-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey guys,

I'm gonna start my bachelor thesis and have to this some questions.

My Bachelor thesis will be a 3d trailer for the Taekwondo world championship in the discipline “Poomsae”(traditional forms/patterns).

The story

A human-shaped golden cup of the last Taekwondo world championship comes to life when the judge in the off-speech gives the korean start-commando “Sijak” (engl.: start) which is simultaneously the working title of the trailer.
The golden surface splinters and the Taekwondo fighter, the multiple titleholder, gets uncovered. He starts to perform the patterns called “Poomsae”.
Doing the last technique of the form he gets frozen to gold from feet to head.
Finally this pose builds the new logo for the world cup.

Ok, so the cup is at the same time the fighter. The fighter comes to life after hearing this commando. The cup surface splinters and the fighter gets revealed.

Now I want to collect some advices and suggestions before i start.

How can I realize this freezing effect?
The body of the fighter should be frozen to gold.
I thought about the Mortal Kombat SubZero fighter. He lets other fighter freeze with his iceball.

I saw this metaball Moonshine plugin:
http://sayinghai.com/quicktimes/metaballs/metaball.0014.mov

I don't know, but perhaps it should work with fluids.
Starting from the feet the fluid should cover the whole body to the head and freeze.

What do you think? Is there any tutorial about this?
I need your help.

rasamaya
02-27-2008, 03:41 AM
mmm I would animated with a large frame rate...
Have an animated texture to blend from normal to frozen.

And make slowmotion in post as your have a large frame rate to keep it clean.

I dont know.... there are so many ways. You could also employ the Matrix multi cam effect, which means you will want to animate the freezing, not in post.

Cheers

blackroses
02-27-2008, 06:20 AM
hello friends ,
i need it desperately..

i sketched the particle and then applied a turbulence field to it. after passing certain frames
i deactivated the field in dynamic relationship editor , and then again playback the scene
i found still those particle got attraction towards the field. even i tried using the particle disk cache , but nothin could be done ,

can any one guide me ?

Aikiman
02-27-2008, 10:18 PM
The freezing effect could be done in post by masking the fighter out and adjusting colour and saturation etc although I dont know how you would do the cracking in post. Otherwise I would model the fighter in nurbs and use Blastcode to blow him up.

Umix
02-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Hmmm for the freeze effect I am still not sure how to do it.
First I wanted to do it with fluid dynamics. That you really see how he gets wraped or covered with gold and becomes again a lifeless golden cup.

Isn't it possible to get fluid on its surface from feet spreading to head covering the whole fighter with fluid gold which then freezes? I think this would look better.

If its not possible I will do the post thing....but I cannot imagine that this will look nice...
I don't know....

Another question:

Can't I use the blastcode plugin when I model my fighter in Polygons??? Just with Nurbs?
I want to use Blastcode to blow him up

Aikiman
02-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Once you build your model you can apply a 2D fluid shader to him so that it could appear that he freezes over. As far as I know Blastcode can still only work on nurbs surfaces. But if you feel more comfortable using polys, the shatter effect can still do a decent job even if it is a little inconsistant.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2008, 08:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.