Taino
02-26-2008, 08:34 AM
2D

Arctica & Avalanche

Age – 19

Gender – Female

Type - Warlord

Magic – Ice

Weapons & Artifacts – Rapid-fire Rifle (fires bullets that freeze on impact); mace; Cold breath Shield (releases an air of cold that freezes anything in close contact)

Steed – Has magic scriptures carved into its hooves leaves trails of icicles behind when Arctica speaks the magic words given to her by her guardians.

Specialty Attack – Freeze her enemies to solid ice with her riffle then breaks them into thousands of frosty shards with her powerful mace.

Hobbies – Sparing; target practice; coming up with new recipes to cook for her Guardians who she loves very much.

Story – Artica was an orphan living on her own, in the dangerous, frosty, Outskirts of the wold, until the age of 9, when she was taken in by a group of Ice Clericons. They took her to their cottage hidden in the mountains. Artica was quickly cherished her as a daughter, although it too the wild child long for her to see them the same way. She eventually came around and they all became one happy family.

Over the years Artica tried her hand at magic, but to no avail. But, at age 15 her skills as a survivor on the Outskirts evolved into one of a warrior when she single handedly defeated two Stalkers sent to assonate her sergeant family. After that day her guardians invested in her skills as a Warrior. They provided her with equipment and spells to aid her in her battles against enemies that threatened them.

Arctica’s triumphs would become legendary across the 9 planets and will soon be asked to assist in the coming threat, a threat that has not been seen for 1000 years.

Taino
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
I finally am able to start my 2d entry… geez, 11 day to complete it. The only good thing is I do most of my designing in my head first, so I’ve been thinking about it a lot already. Now I just flush it out.

These are very rough sketches I did on the train going to work; I’m also revising the story a bit.

I need to finish my 3d entry quick to be able to focus on this the last week.

Taino
03-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Playing with head shapes

Taino
03-28-2008, 01:32 AM
these a sketch I did on the train this morning. I think this is the route Im going to take with it.

Taino
03-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Ok I’ve been thinking about this character, and decided to go another direction. A female character is hard to do because of the resections and stereotypes usually associated with them. Big boobs; beautiful; usually quiet type, to help emphasize on there seductiveness or intelligence, were she would lack in strength; etc…

Well I almost fell into that cliché, which I hate.

Instead I’m going to give her a new look and attitude, one to meet the standards of the title WARLORD.

Don’t worry guys there is still room for the big boobs and beautiful thing =), we just need to couple it with some substance.

I’m going to write a short little summery about her, probably tonight. Like an actor and the characters they play, it’s important for me to get inside a character’s head and know their history.

This knowledge, I feel, is vital to bring a character to life!

They help make key decisions and act as a road map to the character’s development, as well as the project which they’re attached too.

Taino
03-30-2008, 09:10 AM
For awhile I’ve had this gun and shield idea, where we see the barrel of the gun peeping from behind the shield. I think it’s an iconic image and can go a lot further. But I don’t think it works with this character, I need to keep it simpler. Especially for a game character, so I’m going to focus on just the shield and mace for now.

This sketch was done just to see the gun-shield idea next to the direction I’m going with the character, I don’t think it works. She seems to be a more close in fighter.

Artica is the type who wants her victim’s blood on her face to prove to herself there really dead, besides her muscles will be wasted if just to pull a little trigger where the projectile is doing all the damage.

Taino
03-30-2008, 09:11 AM
gun shield sketch

Taino
03-30-2008, 10:14 AM
These are some inspirational reference I found, of female warriors, that I felt were successfully and unsuccessful, for what I’m shooting for.

The GOOD images help my direction

The BAD images help prevent me from straying off the path.

Taino
03-30-2008, 10:15 AM
good refrence

Taino
03-30-2008, 10:20 AM
sorry having trouble loading it, one more try

Taino
03-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Roughing out shapes for armor and body.

Taino
04-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Ok this is it, Even though it may look like a bunch of random doodles, finally locked down the character. I'm going to start my final sketches now; these will be cleaner with more detail. I think Ill do them in color and just grey scale it for the final submission.

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2008, 12:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.