Age – over 400 years old

Gender – Male (Zombie)

Type - Invoker

Magic – Fire

Weapons & Artifacts – Collar of the Burning Dead

Pet – Dragon

Special Incantation – The summoning of Brimstone The Living Gate to Hell

Hobbies – Reading ancient newspapers

Story – Mordrid Mangrave was a son of a popular Black smith from the Eastern Region. His father wants more for his son so he sent him off to study the arts of magic in homes to become a powerful Invoker one day. This dream was also shared by Mordrid, who only whish to make hi father proud. Unfortunately his talents did not meet his ideals and he was dismissed from magic academy after only 2 months.

He tried other schools only to suffer the same result. Things have gotten worst when Mordrid’s father grew crippled from the years of working the hammer against the anvil. Desperate, Mordrid summoned a Demon Clericon to heal his father. All Mordid could offer the demon as payment was his very life. The demon accepted and cured the father, then took Mordid to the bowls of hell with him. Father and son never saw on another again.

In Hell Mordid was shackled with the Collar of the Burning Dead, an artifact that binds unfortunate souls to Hell. The collar also allows who ever wears it the curse of immortality. Mordrid suffered 100 yeas in hell, that was until came across ancient Fire spells that only the most advanced Demon Invokers were permitted to learn. He studied the spells in secret. He studied and studied until his heart stopped beating, until his fleshed rotted away, until all signs of humanity were gone.

400 had years passed since his descent to underworld and Mordid Mangrave not only learned every ancient spell… he mastered them, making him the first and only man to escape the burning flames of Hell.

He is said to wander the lands like a ghost neither here nor there, wearing a mask to hide his charred face. Mordrid Mangrave, once said to be a young untalented boy trying to impress his father was now the most powerful Fire Invoker to walk the World and Hell itself.

amcmahon
02-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Nice start man. I'm a big fan of undead art so I'm looking forward to see what you work out.

Taino
02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Some sketches i did to help me flush out the character.

Taino
03-09-2008, 12:01 AM
This was my first go at color.

I was thinking of giving him a mask so he can hide his disfigured face. He carries many bags, because he is a traveler and homeless.

I’m not feeling armor for his character, after all he is a zombie and wouldn’t need the protection, and also his character is more of a nomad who keeps top himself, unless he is provoked.

He is embarrassed of his face, so he will need a mask.

Taino
03-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Ok I think this is it.

I Got rid of the armor, because he doesn’t need it. Plus so many people are doing armor. I’m going to play with fabric, layers, and materials.

I push the bags concept to make the character more unique. It’s almost like a skirt made up of bags. I will tray to create a more dynamic arrangement with them.

I took the spikes away from the collar. I'm working on a concept that will help make the back of the character more interesting.

I plan on giving him a pet to show some organic anatomy and help with the silhouette.

I like this mask, because I feel it’s iconic enough, and how it can symbolize a prison for Mangrave, but terror for everyone else.

Taino
03-09-2008, 01:40 AM
This is a sketch of Mordrid Mangrave, 400 year before descending to hell, where he received the Collar of the Burning Dead, and became the most powerful Fire Invoker that has ever been.

I sometimes like to draw a sort of prologue sketch of my characters to help define them.

ichitz
03-10-2008, 04:45 PM
hey tai~ nice one!
i like the who he was sketch. definitely help with knowing the character more.
keep going man~ 4 weeks!! :D

kadeschui
03-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Great work so far, loving the concepts and character background! keep up the great work!

Taino
03-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Mangrave's artifact is the Collar of the Burning Dead. It was placed on him when he was cast down to hell. All who roam hell have these types of collars in order to keep them there. Mangrave was the first and only to ever break his chains and unlock the secrets of the collar.

The collar allows him to summon Brimstone The Living Gate of Hell, who can unleash other hell demons from it's portal. With all of hell on his side, this makes Mangrave the most powerful fire Invoker around.

The collar is made up of metal and stone.

ichitz
03-13-2008, 09:06 PM
nice! solid idea. i love it.
Like the concepts of Brimstone.

question tho. the demons that comes out of hell, through brimstone, are they souls that were condemned to hell? If so, why do they have weapons?

Taino
03-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks, glad you like it.

Answer to your question...

“Condemned” doesn’t mean no weapons, just means they can’t leave. That’s why the Demons wear collars with chains, which will pull them back into the portal to hell, when they are done slaughtering whoever.

Hell has it own society and rules, weapons are allowed, and there is a class system. Is I have time I’ll draw up a mock up of what I envision.

hakanpersson
03-14-2008, 02:17 AM
Too tired atm for any specfic crits, but I really like the style. Sweet with the background story and images of collars and portals. I see the big picture in front of me:) The character looks pretty badass too, now lets see those models! Good luck

Edit: Post No.666, Haha! Talking about portals to hell. I planned to save this to my final image.. damn!!:twisted:

Taino
03-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Going to start modeling after to after work.

This is a rough sidesiew to help define the shapes im going for. I like to model losely, not limiting myself to the concept intirely, almost useing the model itself as a concept I can tweak realtime. But these core shapes i feel are important.

I'm also going to start drawing up my 2D concept entry http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=600591

Taino
03-18-2008, 10:32 AM
quick front and side image to help start modeling.

Taino
03-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Finally started modeling.

Taino
03-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Face concepts, to help me model.

Even though Mangave keeps to himself, and doesn’t try to look for trouble by nature...

This is a contest about War and kick ass characters. So I need him looking bad ass.

Taino
03-20-2008, 02:34 PM
head sketch

Taino
03-20-2008, 02:36 PM
starting to base model for the head.

Blaschke
03-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Come on! Don't stop man.
Good cheer.

Taino
03-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Well I looked at the clock and notice I have zero me, 16 days left! , geez =)

And I still have to stat drawing up my character for the 2d entry.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=600591

I’m going to use this whole weekend to try to know out this model. I’m doing it entirely from scratch.

I feel I’m in a good place with the head, even though I still have a lot to do with it. But I’m going to start on the hands, then go back to the head later tonight.

Taino
03-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Damn these teeth were tedious =)

I like to light and pose my character to quickly test to see if I’m happy with it, and also to prepare myself when I do the final pass later… Kind of like a dress rehearsal.

fatestaynight
03-23-2008, 02:19 AM
nice work so far keep it up!:thumbsup:
DW3 page (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4983302#post4983302)

Taino
03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
started on body

Taino
03-24-2008, 02:24 PM
checking Silhouettes

Taino
03-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Focused on robe, tweaking the proportions ,and boots, last night and this morning.

Taino
03-28-2008, 12:48 PM
worky on the highpoly model now.

Taino
04-01-2008, 10:38 AM
the head and chest

Taino
04-01-2008, 10:48 AM
stil have to work on a few things, but this is more or less the rest of the figure.

I'm going to try to knock out the collar and bags today after work

Taino
04-03-2008, 01:25 PM
worked on the collar

Taino
04-05-2008, 05:54 AM
just a test

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/55061/55061_1207370773_medium.jpg

Taino
04-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Ok this is my last weekend,

Really rushing now and have tons to do. I to texture my character plus model and texture the summoned creatures, I need to get this don this weekend so I can use next week for layout and rendering my 2d character who’s all in my head right now. Here are very rough doodle of what I might do for the creatures.

The reason for the creature is to show some muscle driven figures. I’m hoping it all just runs smoothly I have to cut them out.

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2008, 05:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.