PDA

View Full Version : A listing of all MEL commands - where?

BluesmanI
02-26-2008, 04:33 AM
Hi guys,

if you turn on "echo all commands" in the script editor then commands show up in the history panel that normally can't be found in the mel command reference.

Is there some doc file shipping with maya that i missed?

I also looked up the "Help on MEL" but no success.

Cheers
Blues

kjaft
02-26-2008, 08:49 AM
As Maya is mostly build of MEL, those are not actual commands but functions, hidden in the zillions of MEL-script-files in the maya installation dir. Some of them useful, some not (outside their special context). In most cases there's a short description in the MEL. To find out which function is in which file, or just if its a command or a MEL-function, type in whatIs <myFunction>

hope that helps

BluesmanI
02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanx for that hint. Will help me for sure.

But what i meant with the listing of all commands was stuff like e.g. "Show Bounding Box" which is not explicitely listed in the MEL-Command Reference.

Isn't there really no way to get those commands except of the "echo all commands" setting activated?

cheers
Blues

Chadrik
02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
you can do it in python, but a few commands will be missing bc they did not all get ported.

import maya.cmds, inspect
for name, data in inspect.getmembers(maya.cmds, callable):
print name

BluesmanI
02-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Oh yeah, that's a little bit closer to what i'm searching for.

Descriptions for the commands would also be a nice thingy

cheers
Blues

Chadrik
02-27-2008, 12:54 AM
check out pymel (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/tools/syntax_scripting/4844.html). it parses maya's command documentation to create a data structure with all the commands, all their flags, and descriptions of each. this is all handled on the backend to provide help documentation, but you can use it to do whatever you'd like. take a look at the factories module in particular.

ewerybody
02-27-2008, 09:30 AM
actually the maya command reference
http://localhost:4449/Maya7.0/en_US/Commands/
or
http://localhost:4449/Maya[YOUR-VERSION-HERE]/en_US/Commands/
already helped me a ton! There are very few commands that are undocumented but helpful. like "repeatLast" for example.

additionally the docs are well sorted.. I mean If you tell us about looking up the script history you seem quite new to mel scripting ;] stick to the docs!

but there is a command that tells you about commands arguments:
help repeatLast;
// Result:

Synopsis: repeatLast [flags]
Flags:
-e -edit
-q -query
-ac -addCommand String
-acl -addCommandLabel String
-cl -commandList Int
-cnl -commandNameList Int
-hl -historyLimit Int
-i -item Int
-nhi -numberOfHistoryItems

//

BluesmanI
02-28-2008, 02:26 AM
Yeah, i do use the command reference.

But as already mentioned, some commands are not listed.

Well,`ShowBoundingBox` actually is a run time command but for that particular command i need to turn on echo all commands and have a look at the script history.

What i asked for in the beginning was something like a complete Doc of all the commands, procedures, run time commands etc in Maya.

ewerybody
02-28-2008, 08:42 AM
and thats the command reference! :]

note: run time command != command
you can easily look into a runTimeCommand to see what it actually triggers. Its in most cases just another command, with some flags or a very short piece of code.
but from a command as mentioned: you can get all the flags with help

Robert Bateman
02-28-2008, 11:31 AM
If the commands are not listed in the command reference, do not use them! If you do, your scripts are likely to be buggy because:

1. That script may be changed in a future version of maya, and no longer work as it used to
2. Some script commands are dynamically generated, and may not exist until after first use from the GUI
3. They probably won't be available when rendering or running in batch mode.

You can easily grep the scripts dir to find the command you are looking for, then do a bit of digging to find the correct mel command to use.

strarup
03-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi Blues,

as Robert says... I would also suggest you to do some digging within maya... :)

e.g. you can look at this thread "Documentation on hidden commands"...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=547460

kind regards

Strarup

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2008, 08:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.