PDA

View Full Version : Skinning issue for cartoony character

LuckyBug
02-25-2008, 06:25 PM
I ran into this problem few days ago.
I created model of cartoony character,speciffically lion.
That lion has body,shirt with buttons,jacket with buttons,pants,some sort of fabric belt and sneakers.
At the last minute i was informed that there will be no cloth simulation,or anything else,i had to setup and bind all the piesces together.
Now i started doing rig,but i have some serious questions.
Should i now delete all of the inner faces of geometry on shirt and jacket,lion parts that are not visible and bind it like one geometry to joints ?
If i do so, should i leave head separated for blend shapes,since its partially occluded by shirt,and delete the rest of the body ?
Problem is i newer binded separated piesces and i'm not sure if there are any potential problems if head is one object and shirt is another one etc/
Lastly should i even merge it into one mesh ?
I believe it's a litle bit tricky to paint weights over multiple piesces of geometry,so i'm kinda confused.
Here i'll put two pics of low res geometry,one represent all the different parts and one is rig done so far.
Also i was thinking to constraint buttons on shirt and jacket with Rivet Script but i still dont know what to do with bagpack on his back :(
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Boucha
02-26-2008, 04:50 AM
I suggest U skin the character's body first...As far as I am cocerned the unwanted faces pose a big challange in skinning so U could delete does.....Then U can go on skinning clothes N those stuffs to the same rig (U can add extra bones to control cloth movement also including DEFORMERS)...Characters head can be extracted from the mesh for blend shapes targets but always making sure of topology ...Before doin all does thing make sure that the texture UV coordinates are all layed out correctly before hand.....

Hope it works....

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2008, 04:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.