PDA

View Full Version : Depth of Field Primer

AdamT
02-25-2008, 06:15 PM
I put together a 10+ minute video tutorial explaining how to set up DOF in Cinema.

hth
http://www.3danvil.com/tutorials/DOF_Effect/DOF_Effect.html

direct link to the *.swf file:
http://www.3danvil.com/tutorials/DOF_Effect/DOF_Effect.swf

sjmcc
02-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks a lot Adam. That made perfect sense.

al35mm
02-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Adam. That made the front and rear blur settings more clear to me. Animating it was a great idea to help visualise. Thanks. The start & end points for both front and rear were what was confusing me. It's kind of 2 parameters where you would expect to see only 1 if you get what I mean. I mean for example, with front blur, the end parameter determines where the front blur ends, and the sweet spot (determined by the target distance) starts. I couldn't figure out what the start parameter was for. So I guess the relation between the two (start & end) kind of controls the fall off of the blur right? So if they are close together the transition between the blur and the sweet spot would be more abrupt, as though you were shooting through a macro lens. If they are further apart the transition is more gradual, kind of like a wider angle lens or reducing the aperture.

Very helpful tutorial. Thanks again.

Rantin Al
02-26-2008, 01:38 AM
Thanks Adam. Very helpful. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Alan.

paulselhi
02-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks Adam, this is something that has always been tricky..it always leaves my head swimming when working out the settings

woodhull1
02-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi Adam,

Thanks so much for taking the time to illustrate the DOF settings. Very clear and helpful.

Regards, Dave

M20
03-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks for this tutorial!

Bill-D
04-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks Adam -very timely!

Could the greyscale DOF render be used in PS to give a much needed haze effect in post?

This would be a great work around for the transparency issue in fogs etc.

Bill-D

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2008, 07:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.