PDA

View Full Version : Canvas sizes and resolution do you find works best?

Broham78
02-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi folks,

as a wedding gift my Fiance got me a new 9x12 Wacom and painter X , starting to think that my next investment should be a new computer becuase when i work on a something at 3000x4500 300 dpi , i tend to get laggy and have to wait for the brush stroke .

if i work on a smaller image at the same DPI its not as clean .

some insite would be great

THANKS !

btw ... my first post here , at some point ill be posting some art .

dvillus
02-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Welcome,

You didn't mention what your computer specs were but there are a few things that will improve the performance of Painter.

1. Turn off brush ghosting, This will help on the older machines.
2. Work in 72dpi when you initial block in colors, as you move towards the time you want to start putting in detail change the dpi to 300

I tend to work in the old traditional 125%-150% of the final printed size. I worked in traditional materials and relied on reproductions when my work went to print. Now that it's not convenient for me to carry 50 tubes of paint and all my brushes I've becoem a Painter addict.

I cheat a little with painter and start with 72dpi to work quickly. But the files is always at the scale of the indended reproduction size. For example if I want an image to reproduce at 4 x 4, I would work at 6 x 6 at 72 dpi. Then when the details need to go in I change the DPI only to 300 this changes the pixels and yes will add the distortion of enlargement but you get rid of that as you add the finer points.

I like to keep things in inches as oppposed to pixels only because it's the natural way i've worked for 20 years.

As always keep in mind you only need to work at 300dpi if you intend ot go to print with your work, if it's for the web then stick ot 72dpi.

I hope some of this helps.

DV
80 days and a wake up :)

Broham78
02-25-2008, 04:57 PM
oh yea machine specs are

P4 2.8
2 gigs ram
radeon x800 pro (256megs)
IDE 300 gig HD 7200rpm

from the research i have done i shouldnt have much in the way of issues with it but i still seem to have problems and im not sure why . it may be time to reformat ... but im still trying to get the scratch together to just build or get a newer bigger PC and just keep the 2 runnning .. one for just Art and games and one that i can keep my picture morge and music on with out risking inffecting my work machine. that and ive just always wanted to run 2 decks.
thanks for those sugestions though . i cant wait to try it out and see the difference

dvillus
02-25-2008, 05:34 PM
I have a MacPro at home that I use and I don't have any problems with any settings and don't have to make any adjustments, It's only here in iraq with my 5 year old powerbook I have to mess around with anything.

Your computer specs seem good enough to run without problems. Try shutting the brush ghostingoff, I wouldn't worry to much about changing dpi.

DV
80 Days and a wake up :)

Yes I am counting days.

tomt
02-25-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm usually working with a lot of layers so I may be working a bit differently than the rest of you. My usual working size is 8.5 by 11 inches att 300 ppi. This is the resolution I print with.

As I'm working with layers, I can take a layer, cut and paste it to a new image, convert it to a higher resolution usually a whole number multiple, do any detail work, convert back to the original resolution, and cut and paste it back to the original image.

Looking at the original post in this thread, the 3000 by 4500 pixels sounds huge to me, something like 52 mbytes for a blank canvas.
The image size I work with as above comes out to half that. Doing any large brush size work is going to slow down a lot at your resolution.

As another memory saving trick, cut down your undo's to 10 or less.

Edit to Dvillus:
Just want to thank you personally for your service. I have a son, a Navy medic attached to a Marine unit, just start his tour. Good fortune shine on you, and the rest serving in this. Get home safe.

Broham78
02-26-2008, 02:30 PM
thank you guys for the great tip on turning the ghosting off ... that purty much did the trick with the laggyness ... i didnt get much time with the PC last night but i did manage to try that out real quick ..

for the rest of the night i was on the couch with a pencil and sketchpad and some figure books

dvillus
03-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Edit to Dvillus:
Just want to thank you personally for your service. I have a son, a Navy medic attached to a Marine unit, just start his tour. Good fortune shine on you, and the rest serving in this. Get home safe.

Thanks for the kind words, my best to your son. I hope he has a very uneventful tour.

73 and a wake up!

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2008, 07:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.