PDA

View Full Version : hair / curve soft body - extrusion topology problem

j00ey
02-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi

I'm having a problem with a dynamic extrusion.
I made a curve, made it a soft body with goals and goalPP - so that the ends are fixed to the original and the middle section trails behind a bit when the original moves - and extruded a circle along it with fairly low-poly output.

The problem is that the topology keeps changing - If I select a vertex and step through the animation it will flip from one side of the tube to the other and then back.

The problem is I need it to be an extrusion with history as it needs to grow along the soft body curve and I'm using an animated displacement so the topology needs to be constant.

I have tried doing the same with hair but encountered the same problem.

Any ideas?
Many thanks in advance
J

Aikiman
02-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Did you apply springs to your softbody? That may help control some of the wayward movement.

j00ey
02-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Hi
Thanks for the reply - I fixed it in the end by constraining the extrusion profile to the path's tangent. I don't think springs would fix it, the softbody is only moving a little and the movement is how I want it... it was more that the parameterisation of the extrusion would flip halfway around the surface...
Anyway, thanks again
J

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2008, 07:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.