PDA

View Full Version : Bridging two Spehres

WilliamWf
02-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi there,

I am new to XSI and have some problems bridging two spheres: I wanted to create a dome like structure - so i created one sphere, halved it, duplicated it and scaled it down. Now i want to bridge both lower edges of the two guys so that it looks like a solid dome.

However, everytime i use the bridge tool (bridge polygons or bridge border edges) nothing happens (it asks me to pick the other geometry but this doesn't work). :(

I tried merging the two but this didn't help me either. SO, how would you go about doing this? (When i tried to extrude the whole sphere it didn't do this)...

I know, it's a stupid question but thanks very much!
:-)

P.S.: Is there a make hollow command or something (this would be useful for architectural modeling, no?).

SamHowell1977
02-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Ok, there are a few ways you could do this. Hopefully I have understood what you are trying to do.

Personally I would merge both of the dome halves together (make sure you invert the inner dome first using MODEL\MODIFY\POLY.MESH\INVERT POLYGONS) and then use the N key to draw fresh polygons between the edges of the two domes (the edges of the domes will be highlighted a light blue).

tarkovsky
02-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Build your two spheres, invert the inner sphere, merge them, and then select the boundary edge loops (ALT + MMB), and bridge boundary points/edges.

tark

terencemace
02-26-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure this plugin will do what you're after, but check it out. You can make a sphere, and adjust the angle so it's a dome, and then add thickness to it.

http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=29;action=display;threadid=35122

cheers

T

terencemace
02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Here's a direct link:

http://www.kim-aldis.co.uk/

It's called "tinythickness".

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.