PDA

View Full Version : script to turn model into sphere

carlsden
02-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Guys,

i was wondering if there is a script anywhere that would let me transform my model into a shpere or square or some primitive polygon so i can model it into something else...

the reason i ask is because i have modeled a catterpillar and now i need to transform it into a butterfly and i'm using shape manager but it's proving very very difficult to get all the legs in and so i was wondering if there is a script around that would let me do this.....

any help would be much appreciated... thanks....

ThE_JacO
02-25-2008, 04:11 PM
it's not such a trivial thing to do, not to mention it might be topologically impossible.
a combination of smooths, shrink wraps and shapes can get a lot of mileage, but in general you don't turn something into a sphere and then remodel it to run a morphing like you talk about, not to mention that a straight morph between two such shapes will surely produce a crapton of intersections on the way.

mocaw
02-25-2008, 11:10 PM
This reeks of Zbrush territory to me...pray it's not animated too much...and buy that RAM upgrade ASAP! This is off the top of my head...which means it's straight out of my ar$e!

IMHO you'd have to start with a sphere, and then model to the morphed shape...but why do you even need a sphere in the first place? I think you're making this too hard...

Then again butterflies don't normally go from caterpillar straight to butterfly...what ever happened to the chrysalis stage? That would make your life a lot easier I'd think.

How fast is this all happening? I've seen a lot nasty and difficult transformations hidden in a fair amount of motion blur and particles...in fact its almost a cliché as bad as lens flare use to be in commercials right now.

Also with the legs I would have made two models- and had the legs grow out/in using an animated extrude along curve. At the last few frames you'd fade into the other model that either has the legs or doesn't. Depending on how close up you are to the legs this can be effective. Animation of the legs would then maybe be done with some constrain to cluster nulls on the curve. This could work for the wings as well. Again- off the top of my head...

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2008, 11:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.