PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 and zombie keys

kvernon
02-24-2008, 06:44 PM
So, this is my only question towards the new 3.0. I've put in some old posts about the topic to help people (new and old) see what I'm talking about. Basically when you drag keys in the dope track / track view *a button on the graph view that toggles this view* and there are inactive keys, those inactive keys show up as active keys when click, drag, move and release.

Has this been fixed or has an alternative been provided where we can toggle to a zombie key free style of production?

Here are some of the previous threads about this subject.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=92&t=439689&highlight=zombie+key

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=92&t=360256&highlight=inactive+keys

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=92&t=459057&highlight=zombie+key

Cheers and thanks,

Kelly

borisgoreta2000
02-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Look, I ran through the examples you gave and there are a lot of ways to edit keys so it is confusing. Let me tell you what I did and the results I got:

- clear scene
- move slider to 10
- move camera up on y (independent channel, parent coordiantes activated)
- move slider to 20
- move camera down on y
- move slider to 40
- move camera up on y
- select y channel
- go to dope sheet
- slide created y keys left and right
- exit dope sheet
- select x channel
- still have x key only at frame 0, others are plus signs, not real keys

Does that work for you ?

Cheers,

Boris

kursad_pileksuz
02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I did the test Boris explained above, I am not getting any unexpected key activation (I tried both independent and motion channels while dragging) . Althou if you drag active key in dopesheet while "motion" is enabled it activates inactive key. I am not sure if this is a bug or the way it works in Messiah. But inactive keys are not activated if you are in independent channel or if you use dopemaster(even while motion channel is activated) . So It kind of makes sense that when you are in motion channel it activates inactive keys. Althou I can see that this can get cumbersome for some users.

kvernon
02-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks for looking borisgoreta2000. You do have the idea of individual movement of items, but for editing lots of items and their animated / keyed channels it gets trickier.

As kursad_pileksuz noticed, my goal was to indeed to move keys using the motion channel. Basically you should think of this as the setting up poses or blocking process. If the timing is off I should be able to grab all items and move the master key without activating inactive channels. In doing so, this should only move active keys.

So kursad_pileksuz, I'm assuming you tried this 3.0?

Thanks,

Kelly

kursad_pileksuz
02-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Kelly,

If you move your active keys via only "DOPEMASTER" while you are in motion channel mode or move your active channel while you are in independent channel in either in "dopesheet" or dopemaster" you wont get unexpected activation. If you move your active key in dopesheet while you are in motion channel your inactive(invisible) keys will be activated. At least that has been my experience here.

So if you want to avoid activating inactive keys just use independent channel or motion channel only via dopemaster.

Yes this is tested under 3.0

kvernon
02-25-2008, 01:10 AM
Hey kursad_pileksuz,

Another question, in your 1st paragraph you say to use independent channel and / or motion channel via clicking on an actual active key. Let's say we're using the "motion" channel type, do all the other channels that are active (associated to the clicked and dragged active key) move to that new key frame position too?

Thanks again,

Kelly

kursad_pileksuz
02-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Kelly, Messiah respects whatever motion group(independent, motion, group, all etc) setting you have. In that respect if you set it to independent and have 3 channels active(x y z) on lets say frame 25 and move channel "x" to frame 10 by dragging the key, it will only move channel x to 10 even if you drag via Dopemaster. Because for Dopemaster at that moment only selected channel is the channel to consider since it is set to independent. You need to understand the way Messiah key system work. Messiah actually creates keys on all channels even if you create key for one channel, it just does not consider the rest when you use channel groups.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2008, 01:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.