PDA

View Full Version : Object Replacement - i think...

NiGMa
05-03-2003, 02:48 AM
ok, i started using lightwave about 1 year ago. since then my poly count for scenes got to a point where it is just too slow to work in layout enjoyably. I noticed that on some behind the scenes programs for movies like shrek and toy story. when they're animating a character the model seems really low poly, like a different model then the one rendered. how is this achieved? Ive played with LOD (level of displacement) but i need it to scale detail with distance. i just need to be able to animate/work with a low poly version in layout and have the full version model render. this is possible is it not?

Thanks for your help

robinson
05-03-2003, 03:07 AM
You could animate with dummy objects (low poly objects) then replace these objects for the “final” rendering.

Give us some more info about your scene !!!
What are you trying to "replace"....

roguenroll
05-03-2003, 03:07 AM
you could select your obj and press p, and set 'display subpatch level' to 1 or maybe 0.

r

leigh
05-03-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by NiGMa
i just need to be able to animate/work with a low poly version in layout and have the full version model render. this is possible is it not?

Yes indeed it is :)

This method is commonly referred to as "blocking", and basically just entails using a low poly (sometimes even just a bunch of roughly shaped blocks) model to "block out" the animation. Obviously moving bones into place with a low-poly model is much quicker and more painless than working with a hi res model all the time.

Once you have keyed out all the animation the way you want it, simply replace the low poly model with the hi res one in Layout. Obviously you will need to have set up all your weight maps for the hi res model correctly. Then it's just a matter of doing a quick preview animation to make sure the hi res model looks fine with the keyframes, and then rendering it out :)

NiGMa
05-03-2003, 03:41 AM
woohoo, i knew it could be done.

this sounds pretty manual though, i thought you could have some setup where the models would just switch to the high poly ones as soon as you hit render. cause then i would have replace every object in the scene (they're all high poly) manually. BTW this "replace" you speak of, is that refering to a option or? can you please explain how this is done? that would be great.

thanks again

leigh
05-03-2003, 03:49 AM
Just use the Replace function in Layout, as you would for any other object :)

SplineGod
05-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by NiGMa
ok, i started using lightwave about 1 year ago. since then my poly count for scenes got to a point where it is just too slow to work in layout enjoyably. I noticed that on some behind the scenes programs for movies like shrek and toy story. when they're animating a character the model seems really low poly, like a different model then the one rendered. how is this achieved? Ive played with LOD (level of displacement) but i need it to scale detail with distance. i just need to be able to animate/work with a low poly version in layout and have the full version model render. this is possible is it not?

Thanks for your help
Check out this thread: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46886

What I do is use the button that turns off ALL deformations. This speeds things up tremendously. I think have a chopped up version of my character with each piece parented to a bone.
Ive also created a selection set for all fhe chopped up pieces so they can be selected at one time and made visible/invisible.
When I turn off deformations I make the subpatch object invisible and my standin pieces visible. Basically its I have a "check deformations mode" and an "animation" mode.
You can use lscript commander to setup buttons to make it easy to switch modes.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.