PDA

View Full Version : DWIII - 3D - AngryAndy - Momo

AngryAndy
02-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi, everyone. I joined this site a while ago after a friend suggested I join him with one of the CG challenges. I wanted to enter, but I didn't have enough motivation at the time to get started. I never even posted, so I guess this is my first post.

I decided to participate because I am a designer at a games company and I want to learn new things to up my skillset. One of the biggest skills I am lacking right now is character creation, so that's why I am entering DWIII. I know there are tons of talented people around and am looking forward to learning from you all and hopefully improving my skills as I create my first proper 3d character.

The name of my character is Momo. Currently I am thinking he will be a big ex-Yakuza member and due to his size and strength will be in the warlord category. I've not decided on abilities or anything like that yet, but if things go well with Momo himself, I'm thinking about adding a secondary character chained to him.

Here is my first (very :) ) rough concept sketch. I will probably add a lot more details and stuff later, but I am quite satisfied by the current proportions and am thinking that this is the way I want to go. Of course, I'd love to hear any suggestions if you have them, so please feel free to post if you feel something isn't right or think that I could do something to improve the design or even any tips for drawing etc.

http://than.leveldesign.org/files/momo_20080224.jpg

-Andy

AngryAndy
02-25-2008, 01:45 PM
I just did a quick colour of the original sketch and added a weapon. It's meant to be part of the cage he was locked inside and chained to before he managed to escape.

http://than.leveldesign.org/files/momo_20080225.jpg

However, I've been looking at some of the other entries and there is so much interesting and cool stuff I'm thinking about starting again and trying something a little less boring.

If technology is gone, things like circuses might have come back as a popular form of entertainment, so I am thinking that turning momo into a one man circus (or at least circus sideshow) might be fun - making him a strongman with a little clown conjoined twin sticking out of him somewhere. Still not really sure what kind of power to give him and how he could fit in with the theme though. I should give it some proper thought tomorrow.

Really need to brush up on anatomy and drawing though, I've had a lot of trouble getting stuff from my mind into Photoshop :(

AngryAndy
02-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Please note that this entry is not supposed to be in the 2d/concept category, just the 3d one. I accidentally submitted it to both because it didn't show up in the entries area after I registered and when I went back in the signup page had automatically switched to 2d. I am currently awaiting help on the matter, so my entry should be removed from 2d/concept soon if it has ended up here.

Loukor
02-25-2008, 02:31 PM
I like the character you drew but I don't think he looks tough enough and more of a pirate (it's mainly because of the striped shirt I think) then a yakuza. Warlords, if I read the description correctly... are highly armored .. so I would add more armor to him, maybe something traditional?

AngryAndy
02-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I kind of agree with you, he looks too average and not nearly as tough as most of the warriors in this comp, where people have really let themselves go and created the most bad looking things they could imagine. I originally wanted to try and avoid making something that looked too fantasy, but it just ended up a bit boring. I think I will proceed with the circus idea I had yesterday and see if I can make it look decent.

The striped top was supposed to be a prison vest that he had outgrown, and I changed the colour of the stripes to be more similar to the cgsociety logo colours than using black and white would, but you are right, he looks a bit like a pirate or circus strongman :)

AngryAndy
02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Here is another sketch. Drawing people is so much harder than I remember it being. I guess I didn't do enough life drawing classes :(

http://than.leveldesign.org/files/momo_20080227.jpg

Anyway, I'm taking him in another direction. This is the start of the one man circus idea. I haven't really tried to take it far yet, and I've not thought much about armour or clothes, but I do want the clown part of him to look colourful and distinct. Maybe some kind of makeshift armour for the rest of the body, made from things like trashcan lids and belts. Won't stop a bullet, but who cares? He's tough :)

As for weapons, well, he is a firebreather in addition to being a clown and strongman. He can also juggle pretty well with three arms. I was thinking that his man weapon could be some kind of ball on a chain weapon - perhaps a giant dumbell converted into a weapon or something. Then he has the ability to breath fire. I think this will be handled by his clown part, since it's a chain-smoking alcoholic it would spit out super high strength booze and set it alight as it does so.

The Kuato-like head in his belly was just another idea - I might just ditch that.

I'm also thinking about experimenting with different proportions for a more cartoony look. Maybe something like Zangief from Street Fighter 2 or Victor from DarkStalkers/Vampire Saviour.

I need to hurry up :)

soapy
03-16-2008, 04:00 AM
Nice drawings! Funny stuff. Either concept works for me. Get it going!

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2008, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.