PDA

View Full Version : Degenerate polygons?

Dtox
02-24-2008, 08:39 AM
What are "degenerate polygons"?

I'm trying to use an edge selection tag to lay out UV's and it tells me "Relax UV error-there seem to be some degenerate polygons"

Srek
02-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Usualy this refers to polygons that don't have a real surface due to beeing collapsed to a line or a point.
Cheers
Björn

Joseppi
02-24-2008, 03:28 PM
What are "degenerate polygons"?...

Ben, I appologize in advance for this (and that Srek seems to have answered already)...

I thought this thread would be about polygons that do not adhere to traditional family values, i.e. in regards to contraband substances, and social mores, usually resulting in disdainful glances from passersby on the sidewalk accompanied by muttering the phrase, "...degenerates...."

Was it an incomplete polygon? If a polygon had a segment missing, wouldn't it not show as a completed polygon then? Does it flag the polygon in question, or leave you to wonder WHICH on in the whole object?

Joe

Dtox
02-25-2008, 01:38 AM
I thought this thread would be about polygons that do not adhere to traditional family values, i.e. in regards to contraband substances, and social mores, usually resulting in disdainful glances from passersby on the sidewalk accompanied by muttering the phrase, "...degenerates...."
If that were the case, I could completely understand.
Since that description fits me personally almost to a "T". And since the polygons were born of my flawed ingenuity, it wouldn't make me even think twice before I disregarded the message.

When I get the message, the system automatically selects those polys in the UV layout that are deemed "degenerate".
Sreks explanation must be spot on because the polys are a thin row that makeup a thin border around a convex screen in my object.
The object is spherical, but the only projection that seems to produce the results I'm after is either 'box' or 'cubic2'.
Both projections must be very similar because they both produce the error.

My UV skills are seriously lacking, and I'm trying to rectify that.
At this point though, I'm at a loss as to how to overcome this.
Except to remodel those polys, but it seems that there should be a better way.

What I'm trying to do is to cut the UV's around the convex screen(same shape as an older TV) to separate that part from the rest of the object so all parts of the model layout flat in the UV layout.

Any suggestions anyone?

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2008, 01:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.