PDA

View Full Version : Add more geometry after bind?

spencewah
02-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

I've got a bound character that is having a slight problem around the neck. I'd like to go in there and add some more geometry but I'm worried about messing up the weights that I have so far. What's the technique to do this?

underearth
02-24-2008, 06:53 AM
hi,
try substitute geo, or try going to orig node of your shape node(one at the end of dependency graph, hit hypergraph connection to see that) turn off intermediateObject attribute, and edit over that only if you want to modify vertices not adding them.

you can always use maya copy weights option which is even improved from maya 8.5 to copy weights from old mesh to newer one.
cheers:scream:

Geuse
03-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Don't use the maya's own save weights function. however it may have been improved in later releases(but I wouldn't know since I'm still running maya 7.0 ). Instead there's a very nice save weights tool that comes with comet scripts. www.comet-cartoons.com
Use that and then you can put more joints in your mesh or you can add geometry to your mesh and these new joints or geomety when loaded the weights don't have any influence on them so you can go ahead and paint some minor or major influences to them! I should warn you though that It'll take some time to load all the weights, but it works as a charm.

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2008, 05:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.