PDA

View Full Version : Painting effect

digtlpete
05-02-2003, 10:08 PM
I am wondering if any of you guy's or gal's have any good suggestions on creating a paint effect.

Scene-

I want to animate a scene where industrial robots are spray painting or even laser burning a skin texture onto a humanoid figure. This model is mapped with a clear plastic like texture when it goes into the painting process. I have one version of the model that is mapped with the skin texture and one with the plastic texture. I have never attempted anything like this so any suggestions are welcome. We are using 3ds max 5 for 3d and combustion 2 or After fx 5.5 pro bundle for compositing at our school. Any Ideas?

digtlpete
05-04-2003, 10:06 PM
I am looking to do an effect similar to the color changes that were done on that alien ware 30sec spot. Im not going to use the same effect but this is a good example of what I am trying to accomplish.

the commercial can be seen here.

http://www.alienware.com/sub_pages/commercial.aspx

Hugh
05-04-2003, 10:36 PM
Hmmm.... If the skin is being painted on evenly, up the body, for example, then I'd use an animated texture in your 3D package.

Just have it wipe from one to another as it goes up the body...

Chris
05-04-2003, 11:54 PM
If its not going to be even, like a linear wipe, & you want to do it in 3d, you could try using peter watje's particle paint material (that can sort of turn a particle system into an airbrush)

http://www.max3dstuff.com/

otherwise, if you want to do it in post, you could just bite the bullet & paint an animated mask for your 2 shots & use it to transition them together...

digtlpete
05-06-2003, 11:22 PM
thanks for the responses Chris and Hugh, I think I have figured out a way to do it.

If any one is interested, I rendered out the skin model seperately and used boxes as masks which have a matte/shaddow material applied to them. As the robots paint stroked up I simply moved the boxes with the robots as they moved more of the seperate skin model was revealed.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.