PDA

View Full Version : paint fx custom leaves

republicavfx
02-23-2008, 01:34 PM
anyoneknow a way of adding custom geometry to my paint fx trees. specifially want to switch in custom geometry for the leaves...ive tried emitting from the leaves and using instances butitsdifficult to control....

is it possible to script? i dont see any hooks in mel that let me cycle thru the leaf count or anything

thanks

DrYo
02-23-2008, 10:13 PM
People have been asking for this for years. Duncan Brinsmead said he has a script that uses Hair follicles, but I don't think it's ready for general use.

That been said, if you dig into the brush node, there is a LOT you can do to customize PFX tubes. In your case I'd look into Leaf Width Scale.

noizFACTORY
02-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah, to add to what the doc said, though it may not give you the exact results you want but probably with some tedious tweaking and good usage of maps you could get results close enough to what you want. Most of the time thats how i got away with it. I really wish there's some major over hauling and good updates to the paint effects module in the future. When used correctly it can be powerful enough to achieve some cool effects.
And Dr. Yo, good to see you too responding to paint effects related threads each time there's one.
-sachin

republicavfx
02-24-2008, 01:27 PM
yeah ive been pretty deep into the pfx properties and generally its great . ive been over in houdini screwing around with l-systems and they seem about 100% more flexible but also about 100% less intuitive or fun to use. unfortunately, in this project leaf customization or mapping doesnt cut it :(

the hair follicle thing sounds interesting if there were a way of automating the placement on each leaf. im not a big fan of doing 200 or 300 manual rotation and translate tweaks- i just wont do that. if it could inherit the transform from the flower or leaf node....or would be perfect with a new fruit node which allowed introduction of custom meshes

DrYo
02-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Any script would have to inherit transforms from PFX nodes; it wouldn't at all be practical to move each leaf individually!

An update to PFX would be killer, but I bet Duncan and the rest of the crew have their hands full with other super cool stuff, such as nucleus.

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2008, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.