PDA

View Full Version : New Selection Highlighting project

Skyer
02-22-2008, 11:05 PM
ok, here it goes, I'm not good at programing, or anything like that, but I would like to start doing so and I realized it would be better if I set myself a moderate goal, and to ask people to point me in the right direction and for help, than to try to read a lot of things that may overwhelm me or lead me astray.

So, here it goes... I find myself annoyed at how Maya highlights (gree) all of the children of a selected object. It makes it a bit confusing when trying to select the parent and a few children, because all of the children are green, and sometimes it get's hard to try to find out who is selected already. It also bothers me because sometimes there's so many children that the whole damn screen becomes green and you can't see squat.
Some may argue that I can just turn off the Selection Highlight option of the viewport, and you may be right, but then think about it for a second... there's no real purpose or good reason why the children have to get highlighted when the parent is. (unless you want to identify who belongs to who)
Max and XSI do not highlight the children and they work fine (I'm not saying I like one better than the other, I'm just saying that the children getting highlighted in maya is sometimes very annoying and pointless)
So here's my idea for a cool plug in:
Change Maya so when you select a parent, the children do NOT get highlighted.
Add a middle click select option that when selecting the parent, the children Will get highlighted.
I suppose the highlight thing is like a property that gets progragated or something, I dunno. I would like to know if someone else thinks this is a good idea and if you would like to make the plugin or point me in the right direction, like explaining how it works, or where should I look, or how hard or easy it is.

Please take this serious, I believe this could become a standard option in maya if it works good :)

GennadiyKorol
02-22-2008, 11:32 PM
I don't believe a plug-in could be of any help here. This is something that's hardcoded in Maya. Maya owns the selection list, it owns the scene, it draws it the way it likes when it likes, you can't really override any drawing behavior for wires.

But maybe writing your custom OpenGL viewport may give you that control, maybe that's the direction you might want to check out.

Hope it is of help,
Cheers

Andrei2k
02-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Highlighting is very useful for rigging if nothing else. I do hear you on seperating hierarchical selections however. You can maybe choose to display a numbering system of selection or coloring system sort of like changing the colors in the preferences on the "selected object" vs. "Lead Object" and how they are set to different colors by default.

Skyer
02-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Highlighting is very useful for rigging if nothing else. I do hear you on seperating hierarchical selections however. You can maybe choose to display a numbering system of selection or coloring system sort of like changing the colors in the preferences on the "selected object" vs. "Lead Object" and how they are set to different colors by default.

naaah, I think two separate highlight modes would be the best choice, look at XSI so you can see what I mean, if you just left click, just the parent gets highlighted. if you middle click however, the entire hierarchy gets highlighted (ala maya)
in Max, if you left click, just the parent gets highlighted, if you double click, then you select the entire hierarchy, which is cool, but not the same as just highlighting.
trust me, I like Maya, but I do believe somethings would make it better, like this. just like breakdown keys would make XSI better. :)

Andrei2k
02-23-2008, 10:12 AM
I am not dissagreeing with you I am just stating how visually selections could also be improved. I understand the functionality aspect and also think that would be great. The thing with Maya also is that if you select a parent and hit delete it will delete the entire hierarchy. It would be awesome if with your selection method you can optionally delete or run commands on a top node and not affect the nodes below, much in the same way you would seperate selection. THAT would be extremely useful as well.

GiantG
02-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi..

Here's a very simple script that maybe do what you want.

proc HighliteSelectedOnly ()
{
string $SelObj[] = `ls -sl`;
string $ShapeOfSel[] = `listRelatives -c -s`;
select $ShapeOfSel[0];
}
scriptJob -event "SelectionChanged" "HighliteSelectedOnly";

for multi selection adjust the script...

This Script converts your Selected Transform to his Shape. When the Shape is selected Maya doesn't highlite the children.
After all a made a sciptjob which do this automatically when you select any Transform.

DrYo
02-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Although this doesn't teach you anything about scripting, there is another solution: don't use parent-child links at all. Use Parent Constraints instead.

(I agree that Maya's interface is very non-intuitive in this regard.)

Andrei2k
02-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Hah very true. I hardly ever use traditional hierarchies myself, since I have been rigging for a long time but I was just trying to point out usefulness of the concept or purpose of what Skyer was originaly thinking. In order to move the idea a step further it would be nice to color code classifications between constraing in the viewport. I usually rely on hypergraph for that but it would be nice to have a visually customizable dag node connection system of displaying dependancies.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2008, 06:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.