PDA

View Full Version : Free ParticleCloud shader video tutorial

Wegg
02-22-2008, 10:33 PM
I made a FREE video tutorial on how to use the ParticleCloud shader in Messiah 3.0. Put it on my blog (http://www.eggington.net/%7Eblog/?p=27). Go check it out and . . . celebrate in all things fluffy and good.
http://www.eggington.net/%7Eblog/images/NoPlayButtonCloud.png (http://www.eggington.net/%7Eblog/?p=27)

Bugpoo
02-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Wegg is back :-) The generous one too!

Ulven
02-23-2008, 02:06 AM
:) Gah, I remember making those series of image mapped polygons when the plane was supposed to fly zillions of miles over clouds over hundreds of frames early in the days on Andy's Airplanes.
The particle cloud shader, although kind of specific in use for smoke and clouds, was very useful for sure.

Wegg
02-23-2008, 03:26 AM
Hey that multiplane thing did work. Just not for that one super long shot I lumped you with at the end. :-/

Ulven
02-23-2008, 03:30 AM
Indeed it did. It's great to have a more solid approach now though.

My Fault
02-23-2008, 03:37 AM
You know it's a good day when a new Weggtorial comes out. It's almost like you know what your doing. :D

CGmascot
02-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Lovely clouds and man do I like the speed of it. Also this is a very nice way to sculpt the cloud/fog shapes one would like to see. Has me thinking about making ominous tendrils of fog that curv around things, ghosts... lots of things.
Thank you so much!

catizone
02-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks, Wegg!

Best,
Rick

HarverdGrad
02-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Can these particles be effected by forces (i.e gravity, wind)?
If bones were added to the Cloud Object, and animated- would the shader react accordingly?

I've just started getting into Messiah Animate (I've been watching the Joe Cosman tutorials), so sorry for the beginner questions!

Best Regards,
-d

Wegg
02-23-2008, 11:02 PM
This is just a shader you apply to particles. So anything you do to the particle itself will work. The video doesn't describe how to use particles beyond setting them up initially for clouds. I probably could have shown you how to animate the cloud billows through defining the rotational ranges but. . . I didn't. :-/

HarverdGrad
02-24-2008, 06:18 AM
This is just a shader you apply to particles. So anything you do to the particle itself will work. The video doesn't describe how to use particles beyond setting them up initially for clouds. I probably could have shown you how to animate the cloud billows through defining the rotational ranges but. . . I didn't. :-/

No problem! Just the fact that you imply it's possible is good enough for me.
Thanks for the video btw! Nice of you to do :)

Julez4001
03-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Wegg ... what kind of machine did you render that on?

Zimtower
03-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Hmm, this looks interesting. I need a bunch of clouds in a vid im making but im using a lightwave/messiah pipeline. Looks like im going to need a full messiah setup for the scene im making. Lightwave's hypervoxels are just too much for my poor q6600.

Wegg
04-01-2008, 12:34 AM
I have a fairly old Dual Dual core Opteron running at 2ghz per core. Nothing fancy. The new macs with 8 cores running at 3ghz would blow my poor little thing away.

Julez4001
04-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Hmm, this looks interesting. I need a bunch of clouds in a vid im making but im using a lightwave/messiah pipeline. Looks like im going to need a full messiah setup for the scene im making. Lightwave's hypervoxels are just too much for my poor q6600.

Poor q6600????? - thats a QuadCore.

Look in LIGHTWAVE - Hypervoxels can bring any machine even 8 and 16 cores, to a grinding halt if you everything dial ALL the way up. With Clouds, you can render 1/2 res and use AfterEffects (or any othe rcompositing app) and get the job done beautifully.

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2008, 12:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.