PDA

View Full Version : Simple Polygon Split?

daviddoria
02-22-2008, 08:01 PM
So far I’ve only done very basic stuff following the tutorials. My question is, say I want a flat triangle. I would imagine that I should create a polygon plane. Then I use the “split polygon” tool and select opposite corners. I now have a plane that is split into two triangles. The only thing is that now I can’t delete one of the triangles! I tried the “separate” tool but it says that the plane only has one piece.

Surely I’m missing something huge because say I wanted some weird shape like star, I wouldn’t be able to make these complete cuts through this plane. I come from a SolidWorks background, so I’m still trying to “sketch” in 2d then extrude…

any pointers on how to cut this plane into a triangle?

Thanks!

Dave

GiantG
02-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Don't know what kind of face you have, but normally deleting should work. Maybe you have some Border Edges in it?

Check this in: Display->Polygons->Border Edges

greatPumpkin
02-23-2008, 08:57 PM
the separate function doesn't separate every face. it separates non-continguous polygons- if you're just creating a triangle out of a poly plane, then you always rely on the output- so...

-create plane.. .
-split diagonally
-delete 1 of the two faces (since you have two and both of them are tris anyway.)

an easier way might be to just draw the triangle using the create polygon tool as well.

daviddoria
02-25-2008, 03:10 PM
ah thanks guys!

butCherHeLL
02-25-2008, 09:13 PM
I am not sure what you really mean is but.
I believe a picture is more than words.
is it what you want ? if it is find ktuimenus.mel on highend3d
http://static.highend3d.com/downloadsimages/4893/ug090311kg1.gif

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2008, 09:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.