PDA

View Full Version : final cut worse then vegas?

jason108
02-22-2008, 06:45 PM
So i've switch from vegas to final cut and now I'm not use to final cut yet but I've been searching around and I can find the answer so maybe a final cut user can help.

I brought in a mov file and an audio file i made with quicktime into final cut to see them play together and it's telling me i need to render before i can look at them play together?

this can't be true.

so how can i look at a video file and audio file together in final cut without having to render it out?

thanks
Jason

Tagger
02-22-2008, 06:55 PM
you have the wrong sequence settings

scrimski
02-22-2008, 07:32 PM
What kind of audio file?

jason108
02-24-2008, 12:33 AM
the audio file is actually a .mov file. I recorded it with quicktime. the video file is the H.264 or something.

So when fcp says it needs to render in the canvas is that cause it doesn't like the file type or codec?

Or do you need to render everything that comes into the timeline before you can view it in the canvas like after effects and it's ram preview?

I coming from vegas where you can just drag stuff into the timeline and play it. Vegas isn't very stable for me so I've switched to fcp.

thanks for your help.

is this a good forum to discuss fcp stuff?

i don't really like creative cow forum even though it seems like the place to discuss fcp and other editing appz.

jason108
02-24-2008, 01:39 AM
ok i see the sequence settings need to match the media. That makes sense. Fcp is better the vegas . . . just kidding. Sorry for the emotional posting.

I thought that you could drop some media into the timeline and fcp with auto adjust the sequence settings?

thanks

Tagger
02-24-2008, 09:56 AM
if it's your first cut and you're in fcp 6 it does. but then again, you should, at any time, know what codecs your footage is working with and never expect the program to solve it for you, wether it's fcp or vegas

jason108
02-27-2008, 06:30 AM
yeah i think i get it now.

I've been reading the manual but it's very manual like.

Are there tutorials out there on fcp?

thanks

Tagger
02-27-2008, 07:57 AM
the apple training series books are quite alright

jason108
02-29-2008, 06:19 AM
how much is it?

how about total training fcp 5?

not a big fan of total training in general i'll say but fcp might be good . . .

Tagger
02-29-2008, 08:09 AM
how much is it?

google is your friend

CGTalk Moderation
02-29-2008, 08:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.