PDA

View Full Version : Linking

BUZZFX
02-22-2008, 04:01 PM
How do I "Link" an object to another object so it follows it?

ThirdEye
02-22-2008, 04:02 PM
You just group them or make one the child of the other one? Read the goddamn manual please.

BUZZFX
02-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Alberto I read the frikkin manual. I know how to group and know how to make one object a child of another but if I am going to be treated this way by a forum moderator then I'll just go hang out at Renderosity then. I don't need your abuse. And YES I have thick skin I just don't like your rudeness!

PS

Before posting, please review the following:

Be courteous and polite. Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right.
Engage your brain before your mouth. You are responsible for your own words and any harm they may cause.

Have a good day!

AdamT
02-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Other than grouping, you can use Xpresso -- easy way is with set driven keys, or if you have Mocca you can use the clamp tag/constraint.

ds5000
02-22-2008, 04:35 PM
I second Paint Guy's response. I really thought ThirdEye was very rude and way out of line... That just makes other people feel very insecure abut asking questions, thus no progress... I guess if you feel someone's question is below what you consider reasonable... don't bother answering, let someone with more patience and consideration take a stab. Just my opinion.

Zmurowski
02-22-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't want to back anybody, but just suggest that we form our questions in such a way that they don't apear as if we didn't read the manual.

Sorry for OT.
Back to the subject - read about Constraints, and check out the scene called follow the leader, which is shipped with cinema. The easiest way though is using a quick xpresso setup.

P.S. If you want to go to renderosity go ahead, everybody is very polite there, but won't give you anything of any value.

ThirdEye
02-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Alberto I read the frikkin manual. I know how to group and know how to make one object a child of another but if I am going to be treated this way by a forum moderator then I'll just go hang out at Renderosity then. I don't need your abuse. And YES I have thick skin I just don't like your rudeness!

PS

Before posting, please review the following:

Be courteous and polite. Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right.
Engage your brain before your mouth. You are responsible for your own words and any harm they may cause.

Have a good day!

Ok first of all this is the nth ultra basic question you post on this board. If you need some example i'll post some links, not a problem, but i'd rather not remind anyone of gems like "what does HPB mean?" or "how do i link a camera to a spline?".
Your questions, in case you didn't notice, raised more than an eyebrow in the cgtalk user base of this forum, i even had to lock down a thread that was questioning our (our as in the C4D forum leaders') meter and our judgement with legitimate or not legitimate questions.
Your original question in this thread was "How do I "Link" an object to another object so it follows it?". First of all you didn't even specify what you meant so i just gave you the most basic kind of answer: use the hierarchy. Now it turns out you already knew that and you want something else, something you haven't even specified yet after your 9 lines rant.
So now my question is: why should i (or anyone else) waste my (our) time and bother replying to your 3D ABC question if you didn't even bother explaining what you need in the first place? Whatever you needed is, however, briefly or extensively explained in the manual, so let me rephrase my original answer: read it and then come back and tell us what part of the manual you didn't understand. If necessary we'll be happy to help you and even provide a scene, which is something i already did with you in the past by the way. Just in case you forgot how usually you got treated here by other people and by forum leaders.
If my answer didn't satisfy your thick skin and you still feel abused that's the way to renderosity, nobody will hold a grudge --------->

LucentDreams
02-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Other than grouping, you can use Xpresso -- easy way is with set driven keys, or if you have Mocca you can use the clamp tag/constraint.

actually constraints are in the core and is really the ideal way to do it.