PDA

View Full Version : mocap rig is flipping my roll joints

albynism
02-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi i have a problem with mocap rig flipping my roll joints

Basically i have

1) a bind skeleton with all the roll joints, binded to the geometry,

2) the rig skeleton for the animator, the joints are connected to the bind skeletons's roll joint using multiple/divide nodes.

3) now i was given a mocap rig. with all the animation keys in it

so i orient contraints all the joints from the mocap rig to the rig skeleton but that make the bind skeleton roll joint flips.. because when i orient constraint, the rotation value of the joint changes, and the mocap rig joints has different rotational values to my two set of rigs... I tried constraining the mocap straight to the bind skeleton and its still flipping my roll joints.. otherwise it is fine.

any advice or better workflow is much appreciated. thanks!

refract
02-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Is the Mocap rig setup from Motion Builder? (Rotation order is off.)
The mocap rig joints need to be zeroed out to match your rig... to match. If you are using .fbx, then ONLY export the joints WITHOUT set driven keys, expressions, or multiply/divide nodes. That way, Maya can accept it properly.

albynism
02-23-2008, 01:01 PM
hi thanks for the reply. the mocap rig is just a maya skeleton with keys in it.. yes i figured it needs to be zeroed out but how do I do that without losing all the keys in it? thanks again.

greatPumpkin
02-23-2008, 08:01 PM
can't you just make your oreintation constraints with maintain offset on?

albynism
02-24-2008, 01:35 AM
Greatpumpkin: yes that what I have been doing. the problem is as soon as i orient constraint the two joints the roll joint flips, because the other skeleton has a different rotation value. it make sense to zero it out but that skeleton already has keys in it. I don't know how to connect it together without the roll joint flipping.

refract
02-25-2008, 02:31 AM
If the animator exports his rig as .fbx (zero'd out), and you export it to your bind mesh.. (zeroe'd out).. Your new bind mesh should recieve the animation perfectly.

The names of the bones HAVE to be named the same. Exactly. And the animator cannot export rotation bones or set driven key bones,.. etc.. It should work fine.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2008, 02:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.