PDA

View Full Version : rendering for 30*15 foot screen

Gemini
05-02-2003, 05:36 PM
hi all, i am trying to arrange for my thesis showing and i am being told that i won't be able to project widescreen like i had originally wanted. The animation is going to be projected onto a 30*15 screen

my original plan was to render 1280 * 720(or maybe 640*360) out of maya and then render out an uncompressed avi from premiere. The plan was to play the animations from a beta deck.

can anyone explain why this isn't possible, and maybe give some options so that widescreen may still be an option. i would really appreciate any insight into how i should go about rendering to ensure the best quality projection. thanks so much

--nate

pyromania
05-03-2003, 03:20 AM
You could still render the movie, in 16:9 aspect then pad it with letter-box black bars toi make it fit the 30x15. Should be a pretty easy thing to do in Premiere.

For resolution, I remember that Finan Fanatasy, spirits within was rendered at 1600x1200 before being put on film. Thats probally WAY overkill for your project. You should find out what kind of projector you are using, and the max resolution it can do. If the projector can only display say, 640x480, you could save a lot of render time by rendering at a smaller res.

gmask
05-03-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Gemini
my original plan was to render 1280 * 720

Maybe if you were thinking of outputting to HDCAM with a max res of 1,920 x 1,080.

jeremybirn
05-03-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Gemini
my original plan was to render 1280 * 720(or maybe 640*360) out of maya and then render out an uncompressed avi from premiere. The plan was to play the animations from a beta deck.

Find the specs of the system you will use to record frames to video, and render to those specs.

If the plan is to play video from a beta deck, then the resolution you'd output to tape would be 720x486 at most, which could include letterboxing (black above and below) if you were putting widescreen images onto the tape. If your video projector has a widescreen mode that can stretch the image horizontally to a 16:9 format, then you don't need the black bars, you can just output squeezed images to video.

-jeremy

Gemini
05-04-2003, 01:51 AM
thank you all for the comments, you have been a great help.

however, i don't fully understand the signifigance of rendering at 720*486. Jeremy, if you could explain that a little more i would really appreciate it.

also, what do you mean when you say squeezed images. are you reffering to the pixel aspect ratio within mayas render options, or maybe to an option in the editing software. thanks in advance.

--nate

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.