PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy Study (nudity)

Martin Murphy
04-17-2002, 02:13 PM
Hey everyone,

Ooooh, my first post. I hope this works.

Here are some shots of a mesh I've been working on for a couple of weeks. As of now he's just a sculpture but the head/expression is a morph target.

Created in LightWave on a G4.

Martin

Martin Murphy
04-17-2002, 02:16 PM
Here's a close up of the upper body.

Martin

Martin Murphy
04-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Here's a shot of the feet.

Martin

sunshine
04-17-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Martin Murphy
Hey everyone,

Ooooh, my first post. I hope this works.

Here are some shots of a mesh I've been working on for a couple of weeks. As of now he's just a sculpture but the head/expression is a morph target.

Created in LightWave on a G4.

Martin

Good job!!

You're great talent!!

BLUERay
04-17-2002, 02:41 PM
5.5 stars

especially for the portion of muscles... did you do fine art before?

GladeR
04-17-2002, 02:43 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: , wow, is amazing Martin, really I can tell than you are one stunning modeler, you have one big knowledge of the human body, he have one big level of detail, it's perfect. :applause: :applause:

How many time you required for model it?

Keep up it.

:thumbsup:

JuRrAsStOiL
04-17-2002, 03:18 PM
:eek: :buttrock: :eek:

asskicking model. Nothing to crit, no anatomy failure I can see from here.

Error323
04-17-2002, 03:56 PM
Absolutly beatifull!!!!!!! Can we see his back too????

JacquesD
04-17-2002, 04:27 PM
Very good modeling, really.

Keep on.

Lucky
04-17-2002, 04:37 PM
The anatomy looks great. :applause: :applause: :thumbsup:

OZ
04-17-2002, 05:09 PM
:eek: !!!! WOW! may we see some wire?.....F A N T A S T I K K !

Korgath
04-17-2002, 05:26 PM
Lol.. I always click threads containing the word 'nudity' :drool:

Great model, except it should have been a female. :p

dmonk
04-17-2002, 05:46 PM
good stuff!

How many triangles?:buttrock:

seppomatik
04-17-2002, 05:52 PM
absolutely fantastic!:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: the pose is really cool, his body is a little greek, ´cause the legs seem a little more developed than the upper body (because most people tend do much more workout on the upper body)

toce
04-17-2002, 05:56 PM
perfect modeling.....:applause: :applause: :applause:

ambient-whisper
04-17-2002, 06:37 PM
overall amazing model.:drool:
there is one thing that bothers me about it though. and that is the head/neck/back area. it seems like either the head is a little too small, or neck too long, or the back muscles are just doing something weird.

can i see a side view in particular? because the ear also looks like its too far back. ( maybe the jaw/head a bit too long on teh Z axis ?

could you post more views ? ( and perhaps even a wireframe ? )

Raul-Reznek
04-17-2002, 07:55 PM
let me just say this...

FLAWLESS!!!!! :)

5ds
04-17-2002, 08:01 PM
GOD!
You are really talent!!!!!!!!
fantastic!!!!!!

thx1138
04-17-2002, 08:06 PM
Absolutely amazing. :bounce:
You really put an effort in and I think it's payed off. Probably one of the best bodies I've ever seen produced with Lightwave.

Texturing and color next ?

luigi
04-17-2002, 08:54 PM
perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

:applause: :applause: :applause:

dzogchen
04-17-2002, 11:50 PM
Another Lightwave God.
Respect.:thumbsup:

diazgl
04-18-2002, 12:11 AM
Cool!!! How'd you manage to get a real live human into your monitor? nice trick!!Well, i'm not gonna continue and give you the pleasure of knowing that my jaw has hit the floor, and my eyeballs are trying to reattach to me body, so I have a crit.

The entire model is great, but you should give the head some more character and feel. I mean, from the pose he seems to be tensed, and shouting or something. He should have wrinkles on his forehead, and the mouth area,, looks too perfect. Work on that, and I wont know what's real anymore.

robpauza
04-18-2002, 04:52 AM
Another beauty Martin! Absolutely amazing work. How's that T-Rex coming along?

-Rob

iTEXTUREthings
04-18-2002, 04:58 AM
:eek:
Dude this isn't good...it's freaking scary. Awesome job...makes me want to ask some questions.

how long did it take you to do this?
How long have you been in 3d?
were any of those vaines displacment maps or just all kick ass modeling?

Martin Murphy
04-18-2002, 06:13 AM
Wow. Thanks for all the comments. Here are some more pics of the figure. No, I'm not going to texture him, he was more of a modeling exercise. The veins are bump maps...makes for quick and easy changes. I guess altogether he took about two and a half weeks from head to foot.

I agree about the face needing more character, he is quite plastic looking. Perhaps when I get some time I'll add some more polygons to his face and really bring him to life.

Once again, thanks everyone.

Martin

Martin Murphy
04-18-2002, 06:17 AM
...here's another wire frame.

Martin Murphy
04-18-2002, 06:22 AM
...here's a screen shot of him in Modeler.

Martin Murphy
04-18-2002, 06:29 AM
...and one more of him from the back. You can tell I didn't spend too much time back here. When I tweak the face I'll go back and spend some time making the back more believable.

FIREDD
04-18-2002, 11:02 AM
i saw your web,it's very very great!
you are a real master!
admire u!!

-G-
04-18-2002, 01:36 PM
on your webpage you use "poser" models for some of your images, but this is all freehand right?

looks great!!!

Tim Deneau
04-18-2002, 03:08 PM
Amazing... simply looks amazing.

cgtalkfish
04-18-2002, 03:31 PM
Fantastic work Martin. I am sure everyone will agree that you are a great modeler. Where do you get your references from? A lot of people will want to and have tried to model humans, it is the hardest of all tasks, so a little help would probably be much appreciated.

Thanks man.

Wayne Daniell

dark_lotus
04-18-2002, 04:17 PM
:bounce:

I have been a great admirer of your work for a couple of years now, back when you inspired me to grab a copy of Bryce!
(for those in the dark, check his great website for the BEST brycean/poser artwork ever!)

Its a fantastic model,

however, from a purely medical aspect, the pectorals and the nipples, look slightly odd. :wip:

From the quick glance, it appears that the pecs are too small, or that the nipples are too big, or a combination.:wip:

Try some variations.

Keep up (if at all possible) the fantastic work!
and i'm looking forward to your new website :applause:

Jhonus
04-18-2002, 04:44 PM
hey, thats real good.

i think the expression on his face would be more believable if he scrunched up his face more... creases/wrinkles around the eyes, on the bridge of his nose and on the forehead... squint his eyes more etc.

Error323
04-18-2002, 05:41 PM
:buttrock: :buttrock: !!!Awesome!!!:buttrock: :buttrock:

Warden
04-18-2002, 06:22 PM
Man that is a lot of detail and a suprisingly clean looking mesh.

Something is bothering me with the clavical/pectorial region. The clavical seems to be bent (especially in the second shot you posted) and the pec looks too bulky where it connects to the arm which makes the shoulder/chest area look like one mass. I also think that the serratus anterior (ladyfingers) are a little too defined. And I agree with the comments on his facial expression.

Overall an awesome job. The veins are a great touch. Is that Painter 3D? I still need to pick that up.

Martin Murphy
04-18-2002, 08:23 PM
Yes, I have used Poser in the past and it's a great tool but it's been a few of years since I've used it. With LightWave I now build my own characters.

My refrences were lots of fitness magazines. Years ago I used to be a total gym rat, working out 4 or five times/week and I had a small pile of those work out mags. They show the body from every angle in various poses. Who would have thought they would still be useful, only now I sit on my butt all day.

The veins were planar projections, no UV's. I broke the figure up into different surfaces.

Arms side
Arms front
Belly front
Head and Neck front
Feet top

Humm, let me go back in and try to add some more character to the face and while I'm there I'll fix his back.

Martin

tante jeanne
04-18-2002, 10:20 PM
if you dont see his site do it now!
your girl animation is perfect.
http://www.martinmurphy.ca

leigh
04-18-2002, 11:28 PM
Wow that is absolutely amazing. :drool: I do agree with dark_lotus about the pectorals and nipples, but other than that.... wow.... a perfect man :p
:thumbsup: AWESOME work, Martin!!
:applause:

Definitely a 5 star piece!!

henry
04-19-2002, 12:29 AM
hmm kinky :applause: :applause:
but just one thing, the muscles just beneath his arm pit look kinda stiff, perhaps you should check that out

overall fantastic

cyroz2000
04-19-2002, 12:29 AM
Amazing, you're a real master!

mushroomgod
04-19-2002, 02:48 AM
i agree with just about everyone here, by far on of the best figers iv seen, realy good job:applause:

also would it be posible you you to post a true wireframe image (not the subd wireframe you posted earlyer) ???

luckeystar
04-19-2002, 06:18 AM
Very good!Can you give us a wire pic of his back?

sue
04-19-2002, 10:31 AM
Can you upload your model please?:)

Martin Murphy
04-19-2002, 01:17 PM
Here a close up of the changes made to the face. I'm rendering out some more views of the body changes.

Martin

dark_lotus
04-19-2002, 03:02 PM
The heads looking fantastic :eek:
The only thing it's missing is eyebrows - so,

The head i a major improvment :applause:

Dr.Jones
04-19-2002, 04:03 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

pascal_blanche
04-19-2002, 04:49 PM
crazy.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

diazgl
04-19-2002, 05:06 PM
Ahhh, well those were all the words of amazement i know of, so.... Besides the wrinkles near the eyes, shouldn't he have like, wrinkles on the forehead? I think that's a must.

OggieBoogie
04-19-2002, 08:00 PM
Hey Martin!

I love your model man, im stunned and amazed, but im not surprised. My first 3d app was Bryce and you really inspired me! Its nice to see how an artist of your caliber doesnt reject software such as Bryce but concentrates on the most important thing, the art itself. You are a true inspiration to me and many others...

This is one of the best (anatomicly correct) models representing the human body ive seen. Plz, keep up the good work cuz im hoping to read your name in the end-credits for the next blockbuster movie =P

Keep up the good work!

Marko Ljubez
http://marko.3dpixel.org

Iguiniz.X.
04-19-2002, 09:44 PM
Truly Bizar!!!!!!!

....:drool: I'm stuned by the detail....his mouth is allmost life like....HE IS ALLMOST LIFE LIKE!!!

Machismo
04-20-2002, 02:57 AM
whoa a digital extremes member :applause:

awesome work Martin :applause:

but i wouldnt expect anything less :buttrock:

System404
04-20-2002, 04:34 AM
cool head!wow! love the veins on the neck. your attention to detail is awesome

Martin Murphy
04-20-2002, 05:41 AM
Here's a wire of just his face.

Martin

Martin Murphy
04-20-2002, 05:47 AM
Here a shot of the updated figure.

Martin Murphy
04-20-2002, 05:52 AM
Here's a wire frame of the front. I didn't use all triangle poly's mostly quads, but LightWave renders wire frame with triangles.

Martin Murphy
04-20-2002, 05:54 AM
...and a shot of the back.

Martin Murphy
04-20-2002, 06:01 AM
...and finally, a wire of his back.

Oh, and Machismo, I don't work for Digital Extremes anymore. I left in December so I can build a reel and hopefully land a job in the film industry. Finger's crossed!!!

Martin

diazgl
04-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Very nice, but why did you post them triangulated? Oh, and what's your modelling technique? And how bout those wrinkles on the forehead (just asking for what you think).

PS: all the best in the film business. Personally, i think you're gonna be kicking some serious ass.

Martin Murphy
04-20-2002, 11:41 AM
Hey Diazgl,

Well, I think for forehead wrinkles the eyebrows would have to be pulled up, whereas my figure has them pulled down stretching the forehead skin fairly tight and scrunching up the eyes. I don't think I'm going to texture him but if I were going to I would use bump maps to make wrinkles.

Unless there is something I'm missing (which wouldn't be unusual) LightWave only renders wire frames as triangles

Thoth
04-20-2002, 01:36 PM
I think this sould get on the main page .....it's amazing.

Jason-Kane
04-20-2002, 01:53 PM
I agree! I have never seen such solid modeling of the human form. I model characters for a gaming studio and have to respect this work as insanely accurate and detailed. However, I personally am most impressed with the detail in the feet. You really did alot of modeling there.

OZ
04-20-2002, 03:15 PM
:eek: I N C R E D I B L E ! ! ! ! ......amazed......very very amazed.

Jhonus
04-20-2002, 04:59 PM
cool, great updates to the face.

now, is he screaming, or does he have his mouth open in anguish?

if he's screaming then i vote that you make all those little muscles in the neck pop out a bit. and that big one from the clavicle to behind the jaw made alot sharper and tight.

otherwise its close to perfect.

Machismo
04-20-2002, 08:37 PM
i must be slow on the uptake, i'm sorry to hear you left DE martin.

Good luck with the job in the film industry:thumbsup:

and keep the models rolling the detail is amazing :D

The Magic Pen
04-20-2002, 09:32 PM
That is true digital sculpting ..a real master piece !! :buttrock: :thumbsup: :wip:

Chewey
04-20-2002, 10:11 PM
the nipples look a bit too pronounced. Kinda like those Ren and Stimpy stick-on nipples.

Cool model. What would be really impressive is if you were to show us an animation showing off realistic deformations.

I like it!

ambient-whisper
04-20-2002, 10:22 PM
hey martin. u how did you like it over at DE? err..actually ill private message you. :)

syomka
04-21-2002, 01:09 AM
Very good modeling. If you want improve some places check on ankle-bone.

Error323
04-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Was looking once again at those superb :eek: :eek: images... :) And now i noticed something.. i think the nipples (is that how u spell it?) are a bit small... i think they should be bigger.

:: Error

Laa-Yosh
04-23-2002, 01:50 AM
This is truly amazing, hats off to your skills.

My only comment would be that the model seems a bit... not consistent. What I mean is that some parts of the model look more skinny, for example; and the lower legs are too strong for his built. And maybe the muscles of the torso could use a little more work...

But these are really just smaller issues. It's perhaps the best male model I've ever seen...

xynaria
04-23-2002, 11:27 AM
Really nice job and IMHO the face/head updates add a lot to it.
I'm kinda curious about how much of this is referenced from any particular body. Reason I ask is not in any way neccessarily some criticism but that the things different people have pointed out strike me as in some cases things that you pick up on in a more generic rather then particuilar sense. (EG size of nipples etc) In real life people often have things that if put forward as modelling would induce cries of.. but peoples...(submit area of choice) don't look like that wheras in fact they do.:D When someone, for instance, uses a known figure that tends not to happen so much cos they recognise the know person more than seeing the actual structure that is modelled. :)

pooman
04-23-2002, 08:40 PM
one more post like this and you are out my friend ;)

- pascal blanché

pooman
04-23-2002, 08:55 PM
Hey man, what the hell? Do you just hate me or what? I didn't say anything wrong, in fact I sais that this guy was awsome!! and he is. Is it because I used the word penis? Because I think we're all adults here and can judge what you deem to be wrong or not. It's power hungry people like you who keep talented artist's from posting on this site. So if you hae the guts, take a challenge of mine. let this note stay with the attached note from what I just wrote and lets ask the other people who visit this site if they think it was rude or not.

love,
pooman.:wip:

wow
Hey,

This thing is awsome, I love it. The only thing I can't understand is why he's soooo angry, I mean look at the size of this guys penis! Even at limp it's not too bad. when this guy is arroused he's gotta be in the top percentage of grand lovin! I think you should make him happier, if you know what I mean.

Love,
Pooman.

pascal_blanche
04-23-2002, 09:07 PM
yeah ok maybe it was a little rude to remove this one.. But You have a really strange humor my friend. You should try to be more constructive and think less with your penis. (it's not your first warning you know that)

pooman
04-23-2002, 09:14 PM
Thank you I coulden't agree more, that my humor is obscure but I just think that it's better to make people laugh, and the whole thing regarding my other warnings, was when I was commenting on So-hi's incredible work. So'hi happens to sit two desks over from me, so he knew it was all just a joke.

I'll try to keep my comments clean.

Pooman.

Martin Murphy
04-24-2002, 07:47 AM
While I was doing some final changes I figured I'd give him a cloth for those cold nights.

robin
04-24-2002, 10:20 AM
yes pooman, so'hi and me are in the same class ....

i hate so'hi though !! :cool:

Ed Lee
04-24-2002, 12:33 PM
Nice model and nice cloth...what more does one want?.... ;) Ed--

www.edleeart.com

gai
04-24-2002, 03:15 PM
absolutly,perfect...:applause: :applause: :applause:

henry
04-24-2002, 07:06 PM
HEY! I have an idea!! :lightbulb Let's all hate Martin!! Wouldn't that be cool!?!?

pooman
04-24-2002, 07:39 PM
Same class? it might be a different so-hi.

love,
pooman

and I can't hate him, because I love him.

Dennik
04-25-2002, 11:23 AM
:bowdown:
Man, with this image you entered the top 10 Hall of Fame of the Lightwave3D Gurus. Right next to Taron. :applause:
Keep up the good work.

Dennik

mikkot
04-25-2002, 11:50 AM
Hi
I'll use your's as reference !!!
Truly very nice work...

/Mikkot

Codexus
04-25-2002, 11:54 AM
:xtreme:

Now that I've seen this masterpiece I'm disgusted of my measly skills for the rest of the day :cry:

:bowdown: We are not worthy... we are not worthy... :bowdown:

erakesh
04-25-2002, 12:28 PM

Details are good. Overall looks ae really good. Some muscles look over built. Like they are very prominent and edged. Making them slightly subtle and smooth will make it just almost perfect.

But Damn good work anyway. Which technique was implied in the modelling process?

-Rakesh

liquid_tension
04-25-2002, 12:32 PM
Hey Martin Murphy perfect job, what left can i say !! but hey could you post some wireframes not all in triangles? so that we can learn from your work? why dont you just take snap shots with the print screen key, i would really aprecciate to see some of them and Im sure many other people would too. congratulations!

rickycox
04-25-2002, 01:15 PM
Hey great detail, love the veins in the arms etc.

Cédric
04-25-2002, 01:22 PM
nothing to say. It s just awesome and incredible...

Really a fantastic work master,

c u

DAIMON
04-25-2002, 03:04 PM
F@cking Amazing!!!!!
D.

n8Dog
04-25-2002, 03:10 PM
very very nice.. just wish it was female

greekdish
04-25-2002, 03:18 PM
Excellent work Martin...not trying to hash up any wars here....but I just want to say thats it great to see beautiful work coming from a Mac 3D user. It's nice to be able to point to your work when certain 3D people laugh at us Mac 3D users.....it truly inspres me as a Mac user....and I hope it settles it once and for all that it doesnt matter what platform or software you are using...it all comes down to talent. Bravo!

Nick

sigma
04-25-2002, 04:10 PM
Amazing work Martin!. I havent seen you in ages. Not since the BryceTalk dayz...waaaaaay back. Glad to see you on CGTalk.

:)

Piz
04-25-2002, 04:21 PM

After I saw your work I think I will change work soon....

B R A V O !!!
:buttrock:

Piz

E_Moelzer
04-25-2002, 04:32 PM
Wow!!!
This is most awesome!
Carry on the great work, it is most inspiring!
CU
Elmar

foofinu
04-25-2002, 06:23 PM
you modeled the veins!! The frikkin veins!! That's some serious detail. Very nice mesh! :scream:

Someone owes you a beer!

Scott Wilkinson
04-25-2002, 07:39 PM
Martin,

Excellent!

Did you model him in the position?
You say the head is a morph taget. What did the base look like?
One last question: Is he related to the girl head you did? Brother perhaps.....

Request, I would like to see a wire frame of the body with subdivision turned off.

Sincerely, Scott

Cman
04-25-2002, 07:59 PM
Outstanding!!!

Love the Oils on your site too.
Especially "The Pilon Children". The one peeking around the pillar is great! :)

Awesome work all around.

imworking
04-25-2002, 08:45 PM
but this is poser and after is lightwawe!!
I have hoped was all in lightwawe!!:thumbsdow :grin: :wip: :rolleyes: :annoyed:

Martin Murphy
04-25-2002, 09:36 PM
Poser??! What?! There is no Poser in this image. Where did you see or read that? This is a figure I modeled polygon by polygon in Lightwave.

My other computer is rendering at the moment but after I will attach the screen shots people have been requesting.

Back to work,

Martin

Pancreas
04-25-2002, 09:43 PM
Simply amazing. :suprised:
I think the feet are perfect, too perfect.

ToddG
04-25-2002, 11:07 PM
this is one of the best 3d human models i've seen to date. the anatomy is excellent. . . . a very inspiring piece of cg artwork.

-todd

sigma
04-25-2002, 11:14 PM
batmantheking: Wake up. You think were all dillusional?? You think we cant tell the difference between a Poser model and custom modeling?? How insulting. :annoyed:

Think before you post.

Jimmy
04-26-2002, 12:21 AM
nice

pappuftp
04-26-2002, 02:27 AM
u remind me of Bernini.
this is the greatest compliment i can give to a sculptor(even a cg one!!):applause:

Matt-Clark
04-26-2002, 02:39 AM
Kudos my friend, a pretty exceptional model. :beer:

Stuff like this keeps me on my toes!
I wanna go model now...

imworking
04-26-2002, 04:25 AM
ok ok.
my be i was impulsive.my be is right that Martin Murphy is angry whit me :love: :grin:
but in is site web there is a
Poser 4+Lightwave 6
figure:
'Sleeping Sculpture'.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/martin.murphy/sleeping.html

after i not understand so well english,i'm italian... i not read all the post i tinked was poser.but nobody tell that poser is bad. my opinion was that :
poser + lightwawe= good
lightwawe alone = best
so
murty murpy:anatomy=lighwawe:modeler
:love: :grin: :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

if I have offeso someone you say it to me that I ask excuse and hour we return to the study of the anatomy for the position that you have made to assume to the caracter you have used the soft body?

Hexodam
04-26-2002, 05:50 AM
amazing work :applause: :applause: :applause:

Dont know if its just me or not, but isnt the head just a tiny tiny bit too small?

Tad
04-26-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Hexodam

Dont know if its just me or not, but isnt the head just a tiny tiny bit too small?

Hmm, nope.
Always with high quality models like this, people pick apart
the proportions not thinking about the fact that natural humans
vary greatly in proportions( and because they cant find anything
else to pick apart, which is understandable).

I have personally known a couple guys with proportions
very similar to this, sort of small head, and shoulders that sink
a bit.

I think my only qualm with this model is that it's alittle too "Mark Wahlbergish", which is fine but maybe for his next project Martin will create a more "average" person, m aybe even with some bodyfat somewhere? hehe

Anyways, good stuff(and its obviously NOT a poser model, sheesh).

frumpy_bunyin
04-27-2002, 05:33 AM
Hey great model,

I didn't read the entire thread.

The only thing that seems odd to me is the peks on the deltoids, the seem to wrap around like a large scarf at the mo. I do not know if it's been mentioned or not, so sorry if it had.

To my eye it looks like it needs an indent from the outer part of the clavicle to the soulder.

Very nice.

FB

jesterman
04-27-2002, 09:27 AM
Great feet! Everything is so good in the model, but the feet are often something that is not so good. great job!

Martin Murphy
04-27-2002, 10:46 AM
Yeeaaaoooow! I'm a little overwhelmed with all the responses. Wow. Thanks so much!

Here is a shot of the figure base head before the morph target. I think I may need to make his neck a tad thicker.

Martin

Martin Murphy
04-27-2002, 10:52 AM
...and here is the shot that Scott requested with Subdivision turned off. It's kind of small, I hope you can make it out.

Yup, I modeled him in position. No, I didn't model the veins, they are bump maps.

Martin Murphy
04-27-2002, 10:54 AM
...here's a shot of the wireframe for the cloth.

Martin Murphy
04-27-2002, 11:03 AM
Here is the final image. The blue colour is from the HDR image used for the radiosity. After so many test renders I got used to seeing him blue. Now I like him being blue.

Oh, a couple of people asked about the technique I used to model him. Nothing special really. The head was done by following Dan Ablan's tutorial in his Inside LightWave book. The rest of his body was done in pieces...hands, feet, legs...then attached together. Detailed pieces attached together rather than the box method.

Once again, thanks for the terrific responses.

Martin

Cman
04-27-2002, 11:37 AM
I imagine I'd see something like that on "The Gates of Hell".
Excellent work!

Erol
04-27-2002, 12:53 PM
There's nothing I can say about the model. it's a level higher then most.
The render is very nice. got this dramatic atmosphere, but not overdoing it. hard work pays.

MaskTX
04-27-2002, 03:54 PM
WWWOOOOOOOOOOOWWW!!!!! How much do you work with LW??:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

imworking
04-27-2002, 05:30 PM
your work is no my desktop!!:thumbsup: :applause: :

:beer: :beer:

dark_lotus
04-27-2002, 06:16 PM
WOW!!

I think i'm going to melt, when you finally update your website

JacquesD
04-27-2002, 06:59 PM
Very good really.
I have a 1 question though, isn't the drape piece a bit stiff at some places?

jeric
04-27-2002, 11:23 PM
Martin,
Thanks ever so much for posting the wireframe of the cloth.

Whenever I've tried to model cloth, getting the intersection of the cloth and whatever it's draping is so difficult that basically I gave it up. (I'm such a punk!)

Could you please talk about how you go about getting such nice folds and draping in your cloth? Do you start with a straight piece, then use BEND and whatnot to position it, or do you model in place? Do you improvise, or have a clear idea where you are going?

Thanks, your work is very inspirational.

Eric

Martin Murphy
04-28-2002, 01:13 AM
I modeled the cloth section by section. Initially I tried to wrap a flat piece of geometry around his waist and make folds as I went but it wasn't looking right. I figured I would try and sculpt some fabric that I would place directly in front of me. I experimented wrapping different fabrics around things to get some folds happening but they all were too complicated. I was looking for something that looked like the fabric was sculpted out of marble. What I finally ended up using was (I can't believe I'm telling this) a long piece of toilet paper tied around a large juice jug which sat on top of my monitor. I really wanted to be faithful to the folds as much as possible. I broke the fabric into four sections: the piece that hangs down, the piece coming in from the left side, the piece coming in from the right side and finally the small piece shooting out from the top. I noticed that each section had an 'elbow like' fold so if I modeled one I could use the same elbow four times. I worked one section at a time adding more polygons as I needed them. Once all four sections were done I joined them together so that the cloth wrapped around his waist. I did test renders as I went along so I could see how the shadows were falling.

Martin

Scott Wilkinson
04-28-2002, 04:13 AM
Martin,

Thanks for your renders. Again, excellent.
I must commend you, not only on your work, but on your explanation of how you accomplish it. This in my mind sets you way above every artist I have yet to see on the net. I have great admiration for you. Thank you for your posts.

Sincerely, Scott Wilkinson

jeric
04-28-2002, 04:33 AM
Martin, thanks very much for taking the time to explain your cloth method. I see your secret ingredient: sweat!

Cman
04-28-2002, 04:40 AM
I'll send an email...

Asier3d
04-28-2002, 06:25 AM
Your digital sculpture is simply the best i´ve seen in modelling, but i think that it´s one thing that u know yet.
The only thing im surprised about is the titile of your threat "Anatomy Study (nudity)":annoyed: . Nudity?, why?. We are artists. Do you think that Leonardo´s art, Michael Angelo´s art or Phidias´ art can be considered sex?. I don´t know how is that thing in Canada, but If somebody can think that this great "Sculpture" is something like sex, that man may be stupid or more.:wip:

Playmobil
04-28-2002, 08:28 AM
Hi Martin, and all the CG_artists on this forum :rolleyes:
i'm an little lightwave user

your model is very very very amazing!! HAHAHAAHAH :airguitar

1 question 4 u:
why you have not realized the character in position 'cross of leonardo', in order then making skelegons-wieghtmap-endomorph and layout-setup, with IK and FK, and then make pose or animation?

it's only a question... [curiosity kill the cat!!!]

ps: escuse me for english... :annoyed:

the_jonas
04-28-2002, 01:09 PM
ohh shit thats one nice model, even with wireframe mode on it looks like its a photo of a human that has being painted wireframes on =):buttrock:

dark_lotus
04-28-2002, 05:00 PM
"Do you think that Leonardo´s art, Michael Angelo´s art or Phidias´ art can be considered sex?"

Oh I'd just point out that there are people who get offended by the human body (why i have NO idea). I think he was indicating to these people that it may offend them.

Martin, your teknique will never stop amazing me.

Whooda thought that you would use a piece of toilet paper. (Which now that you mention, does look like it) :D

Also can't wait to see when you finish the model of the woman. (on his website for the slightly bewildered)

:buttrock: Rob :buttrock:

chudofsinister
05-03-2002, 07:23 PM
This is my first time post long time viewer. Just wanted to say that Matt Clark your stuff is really really good. I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me regarding the Chamberlain the Skesi model you did. What was the technique used to get the surface deformations, displacement maps or is it all geomtry? and how did you achieve the look of the fur-hair? Thanks for any input, I posted here instead of emailing so everyone could benefit. Again you have a great look and feel about your work. Look forward to seeing more.

JacquesD
05-03-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by chudofsinister
This is my first time post long time viewer. Just wanted to say that Matt Clark your stuff is really really good. I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me regarding the Chamberlain the Skesi model you did. What was the technique used to get the surface deformations, displacement maps or is it all geomtry? and how did you achieve the look of the fur-hair? Thanks for any input, I posted here instead of emailing so everyone could benefit. Again you have a great look and feel about your work. Look forward to seeing more.

Hum...,I think you should check out who really started this thread...

Atari
05-03-2002, 09:49 PM
chudofsinister

Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid:p :p :p

chudofsinister
05-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Whatever.

Omita
05-04-2002, 01:27 AM
If you haven't done so already you should really shoot this over to Newtek and Luxology... it is a great portfolio piece for LW. Also... you might want to contact Newtek Pro... you could easily make the cover of the Magazine. But you might need to do a really high res render for print. :)

Amazing work... I wonder if a 3d printer could do it justice? :)

Thanks for the toilet paper technique... it looks great.

-Omita

rust
05-06-2002, 04:25 AM
damn. great one.

respect

:D

tantor
06-02-2002, 04:38 PM
MASTER! MASTER! MASTER!
i know this is getting monotonous(read last 250052 posts!!!!)
BUT
maaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!
your work is absolutely amazing !!!!!!

Dr_Pepper
06-02-2002, 04:54 PM
Nothing to say but : :bowdown:

cmortier
06-02-2002, 07:50 PM
One of the best model I ever seen. Great work.

Stever
06-03-2002, 12:36 PM
Fabulous work. Congrats

rawgon
06-03-2002, 11:20 PM
well, the feet r just superb! one of the best i´ve seen. also great skill on the body n head.
keep up the good work

renderwhite

Russ
06-04-2002, 09:30 AM
I have one thing to say :

Woooooooow !!

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Werner
06-04-2002, 12:41 PM
Definitely one of the best models I’ve seen in a while!

Great stuff Martin! :applause:

tobalno3
06-07-2002, 10:26 PM
great stuff

==Spawn==
06-10-2002, 12:34 AM
that model isn't just stuff..........it's a....a......it's.......
it's gods work!!!!!!!!!

try to put him on a different position......like one of those italian sculpures in davincis era.........

sorry for my english

ones again...terrific work!!!!:bounce: :thumbsup:

$hrike
06-10-2002, 02:18 AM
uhm
can't say much else then "wow".

Phrank
06-10-2002, 05:48 PM
Man, that is indeed not only going for the lightwave hall of fame, it is even reminding me of da vinci :scream: .
Got nothing to say but INSPIRING, PERFECT ANATOMY and FREAKIN AWESOME!!! :twisted: :thumbsup: :twisted:

cya Phrank

Phrank
06-10-2002, 05:50 PM
i just realized, that spawn mentioned that da vinci-thing before! :wip:

Martin Murphy
06-10-2002, 06:13 PM
Yeeeoowww!

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and compliments! I've been a little busy lately creating a two minute short so I've left the 'blue dude' aside for a bit.

He will move eventually and I also have plans on changing his pose to have him upside down in a crouch position balancing on three fingers of one hand but for now it's all about this animated short (which after taking a few extra weeks is not so 'short')

Thanks again,

Martin

==Spawn==
06-11-2002, 01:45 AM
you are the Michelangelo Buonarroti of 3d ...so PLEASE on any free time ..do your model like him

http://www.thais.it/scultura/image/media/sch00065.jpg

go for it!!!:wavey: :applause: :bounce:

Ripley
06-11-2002, 05:25 AM
wow.. I have my new favorite thread.

stunning!

erakesh
06-12-2002, 07:56 AM
:bowdown: That is just amazing piece or extraordinary work. Man you are terrific.. Do stun us quite frequently here! :)

FireHell
06-12-2002, 08:31 AM
that s so great
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

blueput
10-24-2002, 07:09 PM
great work!!!!

IgorL
10-25-2002, 04:37 AM
:beer:
Respect

nickpappas
10-25-2002, 05:16 AM
Congrats on your new job! martin, hopfully, i too will be at ILM some day...

-nick

saraki
10-25-2002, 02:48 PM
Hi Martin,

I've only been a viewer for a few monthes now, but your work has forced me to post for my first time.

Just an awesome and inspiring model. It is even more motivating to read on your website that you are going to start work with ILM - and fullfill a childhood dream (among many).

Congratulations! Please keep posting your work and keep updates on your site as it would be of great help and serve also as a wonderful inspiration for us all!

:applause: Sean

jason-slab
10-25-2002, 03:15 PM
WOW truly amazing piece of work:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

|jason

Getting_Old
10-27-2002, 07:28 AM
Wonderfull work , Great details and the body is quite real .

And it took you only a few weeks to do that ?.... awsome !

Need i say more ! :buttrock:

G_O

skidd
10-27-2002, 08:41 AM
PUTA QUE PARIU!

got dammit, dude really nice, you not a michaelangelo-3d man, but a really lightwave master you are...

i wold visited your site and i see why you are the number 1 :)

congratulations

need only now a really nice animator to make the "MARCO"
:drool:

seeya!

LNT
10-27-2002, 05:20 PM
bravo!

to be honest never seen anything comparable to this come out of any package other than lightwave

hope no one will pressure you into switching apps @ ILM

good luck!

proton
10-27-2002, 09:37 PM
Let's get this in the LW gallery....great work!

PNelson
10-28-2002, 01:21 AM
Martin,

As usual, very nice work!!!!

You should post the pic of the Woman you sent me for the NewTek SIGGRAPH reel! That was amazing too!

Keep up the great work.
Philip Nelson
NewTek

Biohazard
10-28-2002, 02:54 AM
This is really a great piece of work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've noticed that the left tibia (Shin bone) looks broader or wider than the right one. Is it due to the pause (contracted muscles) ?

santiago
10-28-2002, 10:30 AM
Really amazing, I admire your work quality and effort, awesome!

I checked out your site a bit, and saw the high-quality of your oil on canvas paintings, very cool, I almost never see that kind of work on 3D artists' sites.

Question, when you applied to ILM, did they tell you what they liked most out of your reel? Was it traditional artwork?
I'm curious to know.

(B-HOLM)
10-28-2002, 11:39 AM
I like and all, but isn't this thread a bit old?

Seven
10-28-2002, 12:56 PM
work of this utter quality never gets old.

SexyPancakes
10-28-2002, 01:16 PM
I agree, work of pure and utter quality just.. will never get old at all.

I love it... I cant find the words to describe it.. I mean, I am a total beginner using 3DS Max and I'd love to get to that level someday in my lifetime...

Amazing.. I love it, keep up the good work!!!
:applause: :beer:

lmc
11-04-2002, 01:19 AM
wow....wonderful:beer: :eek: :applause:

Mamimi
11-04-2002, 02:39 AM
WOW!!! :xtreme: :airguitar

dawmar
11-06-2002, 11:05 PM
this looks really good. Very Anatomically convincing.

keithv
11-06-2002, 11:30 PM
i love the vains int the body:bowdown:

bored alien
11-07-2002, 02:10 AM
Buy Lightwave. Build a reel for 7 months. Work at ILM.

Simple. :rolleyes:

:D

loveani
11-14-2002, 06:56 AM
good~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loveani
11-14-2002, 06:56 AM
good~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

kappu
09-07-2003, 07:46 PM
:beer:

wish i could do it

:drool:

CuTnPaste
09-10-2003, 09:41 AM
G R E A T!

impressive

markoid
09-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Absolutely outstanding!!!
Please post a wire :-)

Tronam
09-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by markoid
Absolutely outstanding!!!
Please post a wire :-)

If you read through the thread, you wouldn't be asking that question. :)

I have only now stumbled across this image and am truly astounded. One of the finest digital sculptures I have seen. Amazing!

-Tronam

(ack! old thread alert!)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.