PDA

View Full Version : clarify something for me

videogrfx
02-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Dear Brilliant people,
When I make a brush and save the variant, it never reacts or looks as good on the canvas as it did in the brush creator. Why is that? I made a ink brush with a nice taper etc and when I go to use it, it looks like any other pencil line. No character or quality. What am I doing wrong?
Darrell

Jinbrown
02-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi,

Question:

Are you sure you're using the saved custom brush variant, not the original brush variant?

After making brush control adjustments to a default brush variant, you need to save it as a custom brush variant with a new name not already used by Painter.

Then go back to the original, default brush variant and restore it to its default settings (Brush Selector menu > Restore Default Variant).

Now, choose your custom brush variant and see if it works as you set it up in the Brush Creator.

Suggestion:

Don't use the Brush Creator. Instead, open the Brush Control palettes.

Window > Brush Controls > Show General will open all of the Brush Controls palettes in a docked group, right there in the normal Painter interface where you can make on-the-fly brush control adjustments any time you want, without being taken to a different Painter interface the way the Brush Creator forces us to do... which separates us from our work and many of the other features and palettes we want to use.

#

videogrfx
02-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi Jin,
Yes, I'm saving the brushes I make. I call them Darrellpen001 or something. I think part of the problem for me is I don't trust the the scale. At 100% the line work looks great but according to the canvas, 100% would make the drawing something like 60 inches across when it's really 20. 30% on the screen is closer to actual scale and the line work looks too thin.

Jinbrown
02-24-2008, 04:57 PM
You don't say what the actual dimensions of your image are, and at what Resolution you opened the new Canvas (PPI, or pixels per inch).

If, for instance your new Canvas was opened using inches as the unit of measure and you made it 20 x 20 inches, at 300 ppi, the equivalent dimensions in pixels would be:

6000 x 6000 pixels at 300 ppi

If your new Canvas was opened using inches as the unit of measure and you made it 20 x 20 inches, at 72 ppi, the equivalent dimensions in pixels would be:

1440 x 1440 pixels at 72 ppi.

In either case, depending on the size of your monitor and the screen resolution, there's a good chance that when the image is zoomed to 100%, some of it won't be displayed on the screen.

For example, on my 19" monitor set to a screen resolution of 1280 x 1024, most of the 6000 x 6000 pixel image would go off the screen when displayed at 100% zoom. The 1440 x 1440 pixel image would still not fit entirely on my screen at 100% zoom.

For the best display of your brush work, look at it when the image is displayed at 100% zoom.

Otherwise, you'll always see some pixelation when the image is zoomed out to any zoom increments that are not divisible by 25. You can set your Magnifer increments to 25 in Preferences > General.

Naturally, when you zoom in, the pixels are larger depending on the zoom percent so you'll always see them when zoomed in higher than 100%.

If you want to see how it will print, do a test print. Even printing black and white can show you whether your brush strokes will be pixelated when printed.

#

videogrfx
02-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Jin,
My canvas is 12X20.5" at 300 dpi. This translates to 6150 X 3600. It still doesn't make complete sense to me but thank you. As long as the end result looks good, I won't worry about it.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2008, 08:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.