PDA

View Full Version : nCloth Collision Events

untelon
02-21-2008, 09:55 PM
So... here I am again. Trying something new and running into some difficulties...

I have an active nCloth object colliding with a passive one. I would like to create something similar to the particle collision event where upon contact the active nCloth would emit other particles, etc.

I have tried it before with softbodies, but I need to use the nCloth object this time around.

What is interesting is that the nCloth object shows up in the collision event editor and indeed, it creates a collision event (particles and all), but the particles created never materialize, as if the collision never took place.

I figure there are a couple of alternatives but I wanted to know if anyome tried enabling this feature in nCloth. In the connection editor the nclothShape contains all the right collision event attributes that a particles system would have. It even has the correct data. I wonder if someone, has tried this before or has any idea on how to do this.

The 2 alternatives right now is mel (attaching individuald particles per vertex) or goaling them to the ncloth object. I hope there is something more elegant as a solution out there.

As always:

Thank you.

Duncan
02-22-2008, 07:23 PM
You could take the output nCloth mesh and make that a soft body, then also use it as a goal object for the same particle system, with a goal strength of 1.0. In this fashion the particle system will exactly match the cloth and you could emit particles( you would need to to make collide on the particle system as well to get the collision events ).

Current the nCloth is internally not filling out the info in the collision event, so you need a regular particle system.

Duncan

untelon
02-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks Duncan. I really appreciate it. That would work.

My nCloth objects are being used as wrap deformers. I had tried goaling the particles to the high-ress model and going about it that way. It is amazing how important is the sequence in which these are applied, took me some time but it seems to work now. I'll post a video soon.

Jim

rjpieke
08-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Current the nCloth is internally not filling out the info in the collision event, so you need a regular particle system.

Has anything changed in Maya 2008.x or Maya 2009, since the original posting, which would enable a simpler workflow to achieve this result?

Duncan
08-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Nope. Hopefully at some point we will add nCloth to the collision events(as it is derived from particles) but not in 2009.

Duncan

Duncan
08-19-2008, 08:15 PM
I should modify my last reply to note that one does get collision events between nParticles and nCloth, however, so while the workflow would be similar in 2009 one need not do the "make collide" call(however a collide exclude constraint may be required depending on the particular setup).

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2008, 08:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.