PDA

View Full Version : instanced particles forming a another shape..

myceliom
02-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey guys,

Attached are 3 images that are based on an effect I am trying to emulate. Basically, loads of panels appear and drift in a specified direction before gradually slowing and stalling to arrange a more complete (but not completely 'air tight') plane, or wall. If you check out images in order then it will make sense.

So my approach so far is emitting the instanced plane with a slight gravitational pull. This bit works fine but when I come to the resolve (loop2 picture) I cant work out an elegant and simple way of doing this. I've tried using Goals for the panels but this does give me the dis-orderly look I'm after. The panels need to have slight movement at the end shot also..I do not want them to just stop all orderly..

Can anyone suggest a way of doing this? I'm sure I'm missing a simple technique here...

Any help would be really appreciated!

Aikiman
02-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Try working in the reverse direction so you have all your tiles already arranged in the finished position and go from there. You could also use nCloth by breaking up a poly panel by separating faces first > Create Cloth > adjust the stiffness values and then use fields to animate or a turbulence field to shift them slightly in the beginning. One thing with this is that you may not be able to have variable speeds on each panel but you could maybe use localised fields or constraints. Once your done, reverse the animation in post.

myceliom
02-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey,

nice one for that - I tried doing this way but I have about 1000 panels all lined up the way I want. Then I apply a gravity, air and turb field. But as it has to calculate all those rigid bodies the scene becomes so slow as to be unusable.
Is there a clever way if doing this so maya dosnt have to calculate all the rigid bodies? I've used proxies before but my original shapes here are only cubes so they arent high res - its just the sheer amount on them thats causing the issues. I would like to do this in 3D rather than fake the amount in post if possible..

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2008, 10:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.