PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk's 3dsmax9 splash screen, pascal blanché (3D)

pascal_blanche
02-21-2008, 12:33 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/59/59_1203600830_medium.jpg

Title: Autodesk's 3dsmax9 splash screen
Name: pascal blanché
Software: 3ds max, Photoshop, VRay

I know this one is a bit old too, but ive never got the chance to get feedbacks on it ;)
Likw for the last pict ive submitted, the idea was to turn the logo into a little scenery
comments welcomed!

bigquix
02-21-2008, 02:49 PM
3Ds Max is always known by your name...

MortiusDomini
02-21-2008, 02:55 PM
i see this picture every day.. :applause:
Thanq man
5 stars

CHERNABOG
02-21-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm never tired of see it, always keep staring at it looking for new details, the scene looks tense, I mean he have two giant snakes in front of him , but at the same time I think the use of colors make it a very relaxing and beautiful piece, I just love it, Congratulations

~ G. Valerio

RockstarKate
02-21-2008, 03:55 PM
I miss seeing this everyday :( The Max 2008 splash bugs me- it looks like it has some strange mesh errors or something.

I love your image. Great job, fantastic render, really loved looking at it. Inspirational. They may as well just hire you to do all the splash screens :)

koolnits
02-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah,me too missing this..beautiful use of colors :thumbsup:
is this ur concept or the idea(the snakes and all)was provided by Autodesk?
Good luck,as always,the best from Pascal :scream:

pascal_blanche
02-21-2008, 05:06 PM
the theme was an illustration around their logo ( like the one i made for motionbuilder)
i worked with one of their art directors ( michiel Shriever) but the concept idea is mine.
I was totally free to create whatever i wanted, he just restrained me a bit on the "weapons" the guy is handling, to remove any idea of violence from the scene

mk3d
02-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Great work, and very nice idea as always...

Fr33
02-21-2008, 06:18 PM
I remember it :) Excellent work :thumbsup:

Eloosive
02-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Gorgeous, Iconic, memorable work. It's nice to see actual art work as opposed to only the cold, hard, but slick branding, with the nice typography (Iguess). Wow. the beancounters can really influence presentation. At least this was inspiring to see while the 'gram loaded.

hgDesign
02-21-2008, 09:07 PM
When I first started 3Ds Max 9, I thought, "Wow, cool Picture" . Nicely done. So it was you.... Congraz.

cenkkara
02-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Excellent work!

Duddu
02-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Wonderful work man!:thumbsup:

Tarazan
02-22-2008, 02:43 AM
Excellent image. Very good interpretation for the 6 logo in something artistic.
Thank you for showing us the complete image because the original splash screen is clipped at the bottom and top.

skAt3f0r71f3
02-22-2008, 03:59 AM
I miss seeing this everyday :( The Max 2008 splash bugs me- it looks like it has some strange mesh errors or something.

I love your image. Great job, fantastic render, really loved looking at it. Inspirational. They may as well just hire you to do all the splash screens :)

haha! i agree 100%!

bearfoot
02-22-2008, 07:52 AM
awesome work pascal...

really i think the best i have seen from your for a long time..

great stuff..
cheers

kiboSVK
02-22-2008, 09:06 AM
this splash screen is my favourite I used max9 still cool work ;) Keep it

mrR
02-22-2008, 07:36 PM
still enjoing this every day when I open max :) great job!

GENGHIS
02-23-2008, 01:25 PM
>_< :shrug:

bartabac_99
02-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Hey Pascal, beautiful piece ! They remind me Orochimaru's friends hahah ;)
Are you gonna make another one for max 2009 :) ?

Nico.

Elinewton
02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi, Pascal!! Beautiful piece here like ever!!
I love your works!!
In my opinion the serpents and the warrior are the stars of pic and the 3Dmax logo was dive in forgott!!
But the image is awesome!! Really awesome!!

RobertoOrtiz
02-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Great work.

Plugged

Jeggis
02-24-2008, 07:59 PM
I also see this every day, and I'm still impressed by it. You've really managed to get the max logo into an interesting piece of art. Well done!

I would love to see some "making of" pictures, like wireframe, ambient occlusion, and so on.

Miezis
02-24-2008, 08:00 PM
evil autodesk fighting agianst an average user! :)
great work no doubt about it!

RockinAkin
02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
I would love to see some "making of" pictures, like wireframe, ambient occlusion, and so on.
Seconded!

Great work as always Pascal. :thumbsup:

jtvergarav
02-24-2008, 09:03 PM
I think that this work is a big every-day inspiration for all the max users. Beautifull work man, very nice. The composition modeling, texturing lighting, all is very cool... but most important, I think the art direction you give to it is very very powerfull. Hope some day I get a bit close to that level.

btw, I always thought that it was rendered with mental ray... just a thought

CONGRATULATIOOOOONS!!!

pascal_blanche
02-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Wow! hey?!

Frontpage!

it's been a while :)
thanks for the kind comments everyone!

Kid-Mesh
02-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Wickedness....Love it. Anyway to get a bigger version of it?

monks
02-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Nice one Pascal, i see it everyday..hehe, it's good to see that it's not just a marketing picture :)

DrachenVFX
02-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Hahaha! Way to get an image lit with Vray selected as the max splash screen. Started using mental Ray 3.5 at my old studio, and it never really caught with me. But seriously great image, no matter what rendering engine you used.

pascal_blanche
02-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Nice one Pascal, i see it everyday..hehe, it's good to see that it's not just a marketing picture :)

thx greg, and we STILL need to have that beer together ;) how about this week?

aesir
02-24-2008, 09:39 PM
This is my favorite work of all of your works, and I think I've seen most of your stuff.

MDB101
02-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I like the sence of size of it, overall the colors are well set into place :)

good job on that one man :)

iKAL
02-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Great work Pascal, I like this logo better! :thumbsup:

Arcanox
02-24-2008, 11:08 PM
IMO, this is by far my favorite splash screen for Max. I think it would be awesome if they contacted Pascal to do one of these every release. :thumbsup:

z3phon
02-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Awesome as always Pascal. :applause:

MindTraveler
02-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Hey Pascal. Yea this one has always been a classic for me. Beautiful composition, color, visual concepts, and staying within the guidelines by using the light sticks since you could not use any threatening weapons for the project. Beautiful stuff.

-Anwar Bey-Taylor

refract
02-25-2008, 04:06 AM
Hey Pascal.. I really love your work. Simply amazing.

Can I give some crits?

(my 1st impression when seeing this was bad skinning on the snakes. I know its supposed to represent the semicircle image close to a square,.. hence the icon,.. but.. It almost looks like a really bad skinning job. Marketing should have let you just make it a circle like a real snake. )

Also, the lighting looks a bit off.. and it needs some specular hightlights.
\
I mean no offense at all, .. your work has seriously inspired me, and your characters. Great work.
Is there any way we can see a wireframe or bone setup?

Climax
02-25-2008, 04:30 AM
Great Work man! never stop!

aliasali
02-25-2008, 04:30 AM
as usual!
I myself got to know 3dsmax by your work,uv always been an inspiration pal,keep inspiring:-)

Blackrainbow
02-25-2008, 06:47 AM
It is an image very familiar,:) very very good job.

Piz
02-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Yes! I really know very well this Masterpiece of yours.... MrR is right... I see and admire this one everyday!!! Really stunning piece of your incredible Portfolio!
Salut Pascal! :)

gagn
02-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Pascal, do you agree with the way they cropped your image for the splash screen?
I think the character becomes difficult to understand, the yellow dot on his back very dominant, you just can´t see which way the guy´s facing.

maxspider3000
02-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Hey pascal,
and as everyone said, it was a greet inspiration when you see this amazing scene on the splash screen befor I begin to work .... and I liked a lot how you turn the logo on to this brilliant scene ^_^

can I wish for a wire pleeeeeeeeeeease ? :D

Snake Eyess
02-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Awsome work Pascal....

would love to see the character from the front though...rather intrested in him, and what is he carrying.....torches or lightsaberish weapons?
Wire would also be nice :D

Is there ANY way you can make this into a max 2008 version.....and then all I need to know is how to hack the Max2008 splash screen (wonder if splash screen randomizer script still works)

I miss this image as a splash :(

Keep up the awsome work though.....always cool to see your work

Sandr0
02-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Very cool image and nice composition. Everytime I fired up max and saw this image I wanted to create something cool. Too bad service packs/productivity booster replaced splash screen.

mynewcat
02-25-2008, 10:30 AM
i see this picture every day.. :applause:
Thanq man
5 stars

You need to install the service pack then! :)

rmejia
02-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Probably the coolest and most artistic 3ds Max logo I have seen to date.

mackster
02-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Excellent piece of art Pascal! The snakes give me some vibes of Boris Vallejo, during his best period..

Anyway, sweet! Me like a lot!

Finotti
02-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi Pascal !!!

Comment !? What a kind of comment you want ???? Don´t have any word to express the scenary. Simply amazing.

Cheers!!!

Powermaennchen
02-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Finally a chance to say it: the lightthings look like cigarettes when the image is scaled to the "splash screen size" :)

but a fantastic image of course

Hennaha
02-25-2008, 01:05 PM
So enchanting! Just leaving my 5 stars :)

turx
02-25-2008, 01:28 PM
that's amazing! one of my favorites of yours, sir!

Klasz
02-25-2008, 03:59 PM
first time max has a decent splash screen.
Congrats

ps: Pascal, any news about "time masters" ? is the project in the trash ?

pascal_blanche
02-25-2008, 05:46 PM
ps: Pascal, any news about "time masters" ? is the project in the trash ?

As a mater of fact, it s still in my mind , and we ( me and raphael Lacoste) still work on ways to achieve our dream... do you know a producer with lots of money btw? ;)

Nintendians
02-25-2008, 05:54 PM
nice, i never seen the whole picture when i was using 3ds max 9, nice job.

Klasz
02-25-2008, 08:25 PM
As a mater of fact, it s still in my mind , and we ( me and raphael Lacoste) still work on ways to achieve our dream... do you know a producer with lots of money btw? ;)
possible...

Raul-Reznek
02-25-2008, 09:05 PM
i think you made a really good image, otherwise everyone using max, that i know, would be complaining about it. I think it's a 'cool' image, but i'd love to see your works embued with more message. As always you find new ways of putting out some of the best designs. The composition and colors are excellent.

Congratulations on the frontpage, you sure as hell deserve it.

robomojo
02-26-2008, 07:07 AM
the theme was an illustration around their logo ( like the one i made for motionbuilder)
i worked with one of their art directors ( michiel Shriever) but the concept idea is mine.
I was totally free to create whatever i wanted, he just restrained me a bit on the "weapons" the guy is handling, to remove any idea of violence from the scene

I was thinking about those "weapons"! For some reason, it reminds me of art produced by capcom, but I don't know why! This work is just fantastic, and while I never spotted the logo in the design (I am notably bad at detecting hidden images!), I was always inspired to create something. My thanks to you!

Ckabusk
02-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Can we see your artwork in WIP? Like wireframe? What does it looks like when it is in early stage?

pascal_blanche
02-26-2008, 07:33 PM
ill post some wip tonight ;)

JeffPalmer
02-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Great work as usual Pascal, however personally everytime i looke at the piece i am always drawn to the back of the head, the light there alwasy struck me as an eye of the robot. For the majority of the time that i saw this piece, i always thought the robot was facing the camera.

That nit picking aside, great piece as usual!

Abu-moaaz
02-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Excellent work

maxspider3000
02-26-2008, 09:54 PM
ill post some wip tonight

can't wait to see them here ... I may spend all the night waiting :bounce:

or maybe I can take a look at the morning :D

pascal_blanche
02-27-2008, 03:39 AM
yup... seems like you are offline ;)

anyway, here you go, the whole process with little comments ;)
Because i was submitting my ideas to autodesk i have to make every single stage clear enough, and adapt my work to their suggestions. Quite a challenge, but i had lots of fun

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1866/workingprocessul5.jpg
By pascal_blanche (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/pascal_blanche) at 2008-02-26

Jeggis
02-27-2008, 04:40 AM
Great work as usual Pascal, however personally everytime i looke at the piece i am always drawn to the back of the head, the light there alwasy struck me as an eye of the robot. For the majority of the time that i saw this piece, i always thought the robot was facing the camera.

That nit picking aside, great piece as usual!

Haha, me to. The space marine's legs doesn't show when the splash screen appears, so I always thought it was some kind of a sad robot facing the camera:P.

Anyways, great work, Pascal. I liked the idea of snakes protection the logo artifact;)!

pix3l
02-27-2008, 07:05 AM
hehe the image is very nice, specialy cause it's rendered with vray and not mental ray heheheehheh

shtl
02-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Hello Pascal.
Thought you already posted this one. And it had allready done frontpage ^^

I also love this one a lot: it has your touch, a kind of painted illustration, this particular way of looking like an image more than a 3d technical challenge. Even if technically it's very well done, I just mean that technicity is a way to master an image more than a target by itself, like an "exercice de style". You know, you watch an image, and as a professionnal you ask yourself: 3D? Painted? Photorecomp? Then you'd think: nevermind, the image is cool....Natural, it looks natural! More than: wow this guy is a technical killer and that's it...
So.
The concept is cool, the colors are funky, comp well balanced and image dynamique. The atmosphere works very well with this kind of snakes vapors burning, and while watching it, I instantly feel in the scene, which become rare with the time....Like when you are a child and you feel like this almost every time you see an image. I believe that your own imaginativ world comes authentic and that would be why this image works so well, and didn't loose its power.

It almsot makes me wanna use 3dsmax just to see it popup ;-)
Looks like play game to use this software ^^

Thoose workflow images are very interressing too. I am pretty impressed by the way you affoard pretty radical changes within only 2 weeks and by night. I mean if it was a 1 full month of work that would be normal. Or if it was full paint. You must be totaly comfortable with you medium to get some freedom in the creativ process after the execution has started. Another proof of mastering?

I do understand why it had to be less violent with removing blades, so he (it's the user! master control guy ^^) looks more like descovering the snakes with his neons tubes, more than with an allready armed ambition... That makes total sense...
But damn, slicing a big snake, isn't it a big dream? Cutting the curves without pain! Slice slice slice! Wonder what psychological sense it has but... ^^

There is another images than some frazetta or whatever else that pop up in mind, it's a cover from Mœbius for "l'echo des savanes special US" if I remind correctly, where Major Gruber seats quietly in front of a uge snake. That would be the closing splash screen of Pascal Blanché: he did the job easy after an epic adventure :)

Sorry for long post, keep up :bounce:

maxspider3000
02-27-2008, 09:20 AM
thanks a lot Pascal, nice to see the developments on the scene.
I didn't notice the background untill I see it on the 6 picture, looks so greet and has a lot of details, I like also the character on picture 5, it has more of your work's theme ...

again, this is a top level piece of art ... I hope to see somthing on Max 2009's splash, maybe I will have more inspiration then :D

Piz
02-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Pascal, thanks a lot for yours worklow condivision!!! It's very useful! :thumbsup:

phoenix
02-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Pascal, man your work has always been very impressive .... Classic dude ..

Regards and respect

Raphael-Lacoste
02-27-2008, 04:45 PM
you did it again my friend ;)

Great, I know this image for a long time.
you know that I would have added some details in the back of the guy and darkened the very bottom of your pic to add some framing effect.

anyways that's really cool and stylised.

kudoos!

Lorenzo
02-27-2008, 09:09 PM
J'adore, c'est vraiment une de tes meilleures retouches, sinon la meilleure compo que tu as faite pour le publique...

la peau du serpent est tout simplement sublime

Dommage que tu n'aies pas fait la version 2008 de max...

a+

lorenzo

ConstantinOsm
02-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Delightfully. You will always exemplify to an imitation for me.

littlebomb
02-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Superbe travail. Cependant, si tu veux des retours...
J'aurai peut-être mis un peu de glow sur les cercles jaunes derrière le personnage.
Je trouve la direction des regards des serpents un peu étrange... on ne sait pas trop si ils regardent le personnage (même si on s'en doute).
La colorimétrie générale de l'image est peut-être un peu trop verte...?!
Enfin je trouve qu'on ne situe pas l'arrière plan... est ce un mur ? Il n'y a pas beaucoup d'ombres dessus...
Voilà... mais bon c'est vraiment pour pinailler. J'adore, moi aussi, ton travail qui m'a inspiré et continue de m'inspirer... Mais ça serait cool de te voir dans un registre différent!!
Entre avoir son style ou avoir du style... il faut choisir! ;-)
Bonne continuation !!!

arizaga
02-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah! Is like develop an illustration in 2D, fantastic and interesting concept. It's not exactly what I asked when I made my post in your Daedalus post but It's fine for me. Always a pleasure to read your "methodologies" Thanks for your time my friend ;)

madm4tt
05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Since the first time I saw that I found it truly inspiring...

I just wanna thank you for this great piece of work...

Keep on Rocking man ;-)

phoenix
11-22-2008, 08:01 PM
simply excellent work

regards

Subi3d
02-20-2009, 06:54 AM
What a great work..!!! 10/5 :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2009, 06:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.