PDA

View Full Version : ::collabunlimited::

softdistortion
02-21-2008, 12:11 PM
http://collabunlimited.com/images/collabunlimited_promo02.jpg

Collabunlimited is almost ready!

First off, relax, It's not meant to compete with forums like this one here, which even in it's quiet mode is still the best and only collab forum I know of on the web!

Collabunlimited moves away from the forum as it's main focus (not even having a forum), with a format in visual magazine style.

I'd like to see if it can be used to promote a positive representation of collabing and help people get over the negatives of failed projects by allowing them to learn about the benefits of online artistic collabortion...as well as being an elegant platform to present the work being done by it's collab members (as suplimentray info to forums like this one).

To become a member, help out and or have your work/project considered for inclusion, please eMail (shirowproject@hotmail.com) me or PM here.

DogmaD
02-21-2008, 08:09 PM
:) Looking good. So, when will the site go live?

softdistortion
02-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks Victor.
I'm shooting for next month. :wip:

softdistortion
02-24-2008, 07:48 PM
I could use some people to help as site testers to help catch any bugs I missed.
PM me if interested.

TheCaveman
02-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Hey softdistortion,

the website is looking great and I m really looking forward to it.

I k now that recently I have not been really around VFS is indeed taking all the freetime you can ever get but we're trying to set up a collab inside school and would like to try and test storytracer in there so I should get back to developing it pretty soon and giving you some updates about

Anyways great job so far, looking forward to seeing more

Cheers
Jozef

softdistortion
02-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi Jozef,
It all takes time....I'm not around much either lately , so no worries, it will all come together eventually. :wip:

Thanks for the comments on the site...It'll be a ground floor at least...I hope will help slowly bring more of ours/others various works together.

BUMP**
I could use some people to help as site testers to help catch any bugs I missed.
PM me if interested.

softdistortion
03-18-2008, 12:10 PM
UPDATE-
For anyone following this development, I wanted to open it today, but I'm still tweaking... :wip: ...it's almost there. :bounce:

TheFreak
03-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Damn how did i miss this one!! Well I am up for whatever you need SD always willing to help promote the power of collab :)

I will drop you a PM so its all official

Cheers

softdistortion
03-18-2008, 04:16 PM
hehe...it happens...but glad you finally saw it.
PM coming back at you!

softdistortion
03-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks to some help from TheFreak the featured teams section is moving to completion. 3 more to go and we are done!

Soooo...still shooting to launch this month.

Some cool stuff at the site!-
I've been working at forging partnerships with mocap companies as part of collabunlimited.com development. this effort I hope will be a great resource to collab animation teams.

I'd like to see the active/proficient teams matched with mocap providers.
If it works well, it would remove what is imo, one of the last HUGE obstacles...no more hand keying of all the motions...no more scrapping together bitsa of free mocap found on the web....I'm talking about a team having access to full range custom mocap... that shuld help start cranking the clips out! :wip:

if you can see the benifts and want to support or take part email me HERE (collabuinlimited@hotmail.com)

softdistortion
03-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Sooooooo...already got grabbed on MSN today to ask when this thing was gonna be open....I'm still working, but it's open as of tonite to keep to my "sometime in march" promise.

Collabunlimited.com (http://collabunlimited.com/main/)

It's graphics intensive, and I don't have a fast server right now (first upgrade if there is enough activity :D ) Let me know if you find the loads take way long to happen...if a lot of people experience slow loads, I'll probably have to setup a splash 'warning" page for now. :argh:

Anyways, it's a start.

The 01 page has some basic info on the layout.
And there are even some items in the store...including the Databook1 (finally after 1 year it's in a shop!) in both print and electronic download formats. There is also some music in there at iTunes price rates of .99 cents each. The 04 Lab page has an iPod player that will play a snippet.

Hope some of you enjoy the site as it grows. :buttrock:

Thanks to TheFreak for his help!
OmniQron and HardWired have a blank featured page till i get that info together from Omar and Jozef...coming soon!

donShole
04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Hey SD,

The site looks good! :cool:. Drop me an e-mail with some info on what you need help with (I haven't found any bugs from perusing the pages so far) and I'll see what I can make time for.

Cheers

softdistortion
04-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks Donshole.

TEAM- anyone still have a copy of that old 3DWORLD special article about online collaboration? Dogma thought he had it but couldn't find the copy...I think it was June or July 2005.
Thanks for any help!

Kirt
04-02-2008, 06:49 PM
I have it somewhere. I'll look for you.

Found it. Still in my desk. :D

What do you need from it?

softdistortion
04-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I'd like to somehow get a copy of the article to refresh my memory on what was in it, and then contact Jim at 3DWorld to get permission to add snippets to the collabunlimited site.

Or if that's not doable on your end then the Issue # date and page #s?

thanks.

Also if you or anyone else has info/links to other online collabs, please let me know so I can add them to the directory. :thumbsup:

Kirt
04-03-2008, 03:29 AM
I knew I should have brought it with me to work ...
It's August 2005 issue number 67ish? :shrug: :blush:

I thought is was a pretty good article. It had some ideas and insights to ongoing projects at the time. Some projects from CGTalk were highlighted (Minas and Shirow) and they got my name wrong at least twice ... from what I remember. :D

I'll see if I can't get some more specifics for you by tomorrow.

softdistortion
04-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks...if you or anyone else can get a scan so I can see what parts are most applicable to request as quotations that would be great!

The rest of the featured collab projects info is up.
*Thanks to TheFreak again for filling in for Jozef and Omar and collecting their project info :thumbsup:

TheCaveman
04-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Nice job Softdistortion, I had already told you that but hey I thought everybody should know ;)

Thanks to theFreak for filling everything about the project :) It has been fairly busy over here at VFS :s

@Softdistortion: I almost got a new layout for the interface and it should look a little nicer and more collab focused than it was before. It still needs a lot of improvement but I got some "free" time tonight to go over it a bit more. But like you know things never go the way they should :). Hope to have a thread open during this week though

cheers
Jozef

softdistortion
04-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks Jozef.

Been getting some really encouraging emails about the site, but it helps things to see posts in here too! :buttrock:

Kirt
04-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Softdistortion, check your hotmail account.

softdistortion
04-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks Kirt. :)

TheFreak
04-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would pop in and say hello again. The site is looking great now SD, its really coming along. Glad I could help in some way in getting it up and running SD.

And no problem Jozef, glad I could help. I grabbed whatever I could from your thread but it looked like there were some images not loading for me so you might want to pass them to SD if you get the chance or if you are happy with what is up there then its all good :)

Nice work on the StoryTracer software too, looks like quite a nice little tool for the collab community and others.

Anyway, good to see things progressing in the collab forum, it always was my favourite place to visit :)

Ilive
04-04-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm always down for collaboration. Too bad I suck at most things but storytelling. :(

I do want to mention that over at Hash.com the folks there have been working on a project for 18months. They are almost finished in their little endeavor.

I recently read in 3d World magazine they got options to sell and have it distributed upwards of $300,000 USD.

Now it may not seem much but think of a 4 man team working on a film. Actors are easy enough to find and pay them them actors Guild pay = 150-300 a day or get them for free.

We have examples of Jeff Lew taking 4 years to make Killerbean the Movie! Imagine 4 guys doing it in 1-2 years. Imagine doing it in less using shortcuts like pre bought models and mocap!

$300,000 option and usually they can get alot higher than that.
Split 300,0000 for 1 year of work. $75,000.

But now you have to add in the 60/40% cut. 60 distributor and 40 you and the other 3 guys. Say it gets foreign distribution which is where you would probably go.

Make your IP even more profitable by making markettable characters. Ones that can go into toys and video games.....imagine selling the liscenses.

It may seem hard to believe but there are a few folks who have done it and are really making it.

At this early in the digital distribution game if you make it they will often times come.

www.muttpop.com (http://www.muttpop.com) they made a lucha libre designer toy and comic, now they are making it a full fledge Hollywood film.

www.afterworld.tv (http://www.afterworld.tv) 3 million dollars provided by Sony to make episodes. Bud tv first gave them the offer. They hold IP rights and it's going to video games, mobile videos, and television.

www.wearethestrange.com (http://www.wearethestrange.com) made a freaky movie, had offers but denied them. Self distribution and making a ton of money for his 2 years of work! Even got invited to go the directors guild which could have opened up millions.

www.happytreefriends.com (http://www.happytreefriends.com) 500,000 DVDs sold. Need I say more?

www.brokensaints.com (http://www.brokensaints.com) 100,000 DVD sets sold at $69 dollar retail value. They own all IP rights. Need we say more?

www.sanctuaryforall.com (http://www.sanctuaryforall.com) turned from an Internet pay per view to a full fledged TV show on SciFi Channel.

www.studioartfx.com (http://www.studioartfx.com) sold 10,000+ copies of his first 15 minute movie! Took him 2 months to make.

www.xombified.com (http://www.xombified.com) one man show. Now he is in high demand to write for movies and is even working on his movie, sources say it is Xombie the movie!

These things are really picking up!

I believe in the collab! George Lucas himself is going for making cheaper movies and shows for TV and digital. He believes in the one man or small team groups. We need to start believing in ourselves.

Can you imagine how many people on this sight have the skills to make something together? Can you imagine the financial possibilities? (I am against fan films, sorry) Can you imagine the level of art you could create? Can you imagine creating something brand new that is differant, unique and still markettable?

The possibilites of a collab!!

DogmaD
04-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Ha, finally up :). Well, I think we all will be working together soon on some thing or another! I will write an update for my feature section soon :). It is a bit empty like this, haha.

@Ilive: Of course you can make money with a very successful concept, it is not that weird is it? But don't underestimate the amount of time and money these guys had to invest to get to that point. Most of them probably don't even have that much left after all the costs are deducted. Doing this out of passion will be a lot better motivator than doing it for the money, people who do it for the money will leave very disappointed.

Thing is most people have to spend a lot of money up front on their first project before they get anything out of it. Then on the next project they can make that project from the profits left of the first project and break even. By the time they make their third project they are actually starting to see some real profit (this could be one franchise of course). So unless you have a really awesome idea on your hands, it is going to take at least a couple of years before you will start seeing some real money. Another option is to create small, low-risk projects that give ok profit before starting on something big.

Ilive
04-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I have to go with agree and disagree at the same time.

@Ilive: Of course you can make money with a very successful concept, it is not that weird is it? But don't underestimate the amount of time and money these guys had to invest to get to that point. Most of them probably don't even have that much left after all the costs are deducted. Doing this out of passion will be a lot better motivator than doing it for the money, people who do it for the money will leave very disappointed

Money upfront. Not really when you think of today's tools. For example I'm thinking of Plankton Invasion- One episode per month using Lightwave and Project Messiah = to about 1500 dollar investment tops.

You think of how many artists already have access to their own tools in their toolbox.

I think the motivation should be two fold. The passion to make your own things and be able to turn it into a living.

Your day job can and will often times eat up your passion over an extended period of time. It can also impede your momentum. Why not turn your passion into money!

I do think a series is the best way to go. 3 minutes per month if at all possible with a team working part time. That way you see the fruits of your labor and build an audience. When you start building an audience nothing can motivate you better than having fans push you awaiting the second episode! I think we might be onto something with MOCAP.

Then compile it at the end and put it on DVD. I think this is the best route to take for the small team.

You can also take a $3,000 dollar investment and get 2,000 plushies of a character created and start selling them. Who knows where that will go? I think VOOZ club had a great idea with PUCCA.

Storytelling and merchandising all at once.

I'm just taking best business practices from various sources. I think one problem with CG artists is they work the art part but never the business part. Passion to create but more often than not they have to create someone elses vision. If only some thought of investing in a collab using a small portion of their time and take in the fruits of their labor.

Now we are entering a market where it is viable and the pioneers are taking their stand in history. Imagine if we could go back in time to when movies first started.......well we are in a time when digital/online quick content is becoming the next big market. We can actually have a part in setting the rules before Hollywood does. Everyone at this time is scrambling to find a business model to make money online. I think I found the formula so working hard right now to create that.

I hope I open the way for others or at least act as someone's stepping stone for the future. I could use some collabers :)

Thanks Softdistortion!!! :)

Ilive
04-04-2008, 09:41 PM
PS Dogma, love your avatar and your sight is very interesting. I can't wait to see what you guys have coming out!

When I get my assets created I thought of doing a side scroller game, old school, Contra,Mario, Metal Slug in flash. I wanted to make it available for phone and internet play.

Check out Alien Homminid!

softdistortion
04-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Dogma, yeah, it took longer than I had anticipated, but I'm really happy with it, so it was worth it. Send me more pics etc when you get time. I wanted to get your project in there for the opening, but updates can happen whenever the team leaders need them.

Ilive- yep, the scene is a changing...interesting times ahead. :thumbsup:
PS: I returned your PM..just mentioning cause I only replied to the PM and not your email...

softdistortion
04-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Added the splash screen

collabunlimited (http://www.collabunlimited.com/)

Let me know if anyone experiences issues or sees something I missed.
thnx :thumbsup:

Tasp
04-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Hey so I was perusing the site and saw this-

If you feel impatient or like complaining why don't you volunteer to help out, yah BUM!

Well I'm officially offering my help, though I know nothing of programming, very interested to see this site get up and running!
:D

Psyk0
04-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Just dropping by to say it's a great idea, also the site design is pretty classy! :D

softdistortion
04-09-2008, 11:56 PM
hehe...well, I could use some help gathering anything collab related to build more of a repository of info... other collab teams that are active arpund the web, links to articles tips etc.

Also article writers are needed...even a short bit on what you want to see in colabunlimited ...what moved you to offer to help...anything insightful and motivating to build the collab spirit in others. :buttrock:

I could also use input on how to get the word out and promote the site in an ongoing way.

One thought I had was to get one or 2 artists per month to donate their skills to help someone out where they feel they need more skilled help. So say you are a model maker but don't do so good at UV unwrapping and textures...I would donate my skill to help you out and finish your model textures.

I need ideas to generate some donations to pay for the sites expansion - I'm no programmer either, so if I can't find them, I'll have to pay someone to program the apps for the artist search/matching program and eventually i need more bandwidth to add video and voice conferencing for teams/members.

Again, one idea I had was to take the idea of donating skills and record the whole process to vid clip tuts and offer them in the store for a small fee- like $5 or so. All of which would go to the site expansions.

Kirt
04-10-2008, 12:04 AM
The site is looking good SD. I don't see the need for a splash screen though. I would rather just go to the main page (which is the page that I bookmarked).

softdistortion
04-10-2008, 03:05 AM
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

I might take the splash off eventually, but some visitors were experiencing loading speed impatience so i hope this helps to keep people instead of having them give up after 1 second. To everyone else, sorry for the splash hassle... I dislike them too.

Aso it seems some older windows XP installers removed java, so some may need that link.

softdistortion
04-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Just dropping by to say it's a great idea, also the site design is pretty classy! :D

Sorry, I missed this post you made when the page flipped over to a new post list.
Thanks. :buttrock:

softdistortion
04-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Managed to get the next Featured team up at collabunlimited.com.

Also grabbed Ryan the team leader for an online interview.
Some interesting info so go have a LOOK (http://collabunlimited.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54)

softdistortion
04-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Aurora has promised to do a collab/shirowproject related interview to be published at Spinquad and possibly in a popular magazine in future.

It's gonna be produced using patented collaborganic methods. :surprised

We'd like to invite the core shirowprjoect members to add input- if you are in for that, email me and I'll set you up to take part. :lightbulb

softdistortion
04-30-2008, 12:51 AM
LDR grabs of 2 nodes from the latest HDR shoot.

http://collabunlimited.com/collabunlimitedXTRA/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/hdr_001.jpg
http://collabunlimited.com/collabunlimitedXTRA/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/hdr_002.jpg

QTVR1 (http://collabunlimited.com/FILES/HDRpano/Garage_001b_cubic.mov)
QTVR2 (http://collabunlimited.com/FILES/HDRpano/Garage_002b_cubic.mov)

softdistortion
04-30-2008, 07:23 PM
New mini article about the shoot is up at collabunlimited.com (http://collabunlimited.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77 )

softdistortion
05-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Trying to finish up the mocap files for the shop.
http://collabunlimited.com/FILES/MOCAP/MOV/Left.jpg
HERE's (http://collabunlimited.com/FILES/MOCAP/MOV/LeftMP4.mov) a sample from the first set of aviation hand signals. .5 meg .mov

softdistortion
05-05-2008, 12:10 AM
MEGA RESOLUTION - 80 meg - 10176x2806 pixels, promo file to help raise awareness in collabunlimited.com

Below is an example of the res this file has >
CLICK ON IMAGE to download 50 meg.zip
http://collabunlimited.com/main/images/articles/texture_promo_02.jpg
(http://collabunlimited.com/FILES/PROMOFILES/garage001_promo.zip)

No strings, but if you like the quality of this freebee, let me know and go REGISTER (http://collabunlimited.com/main/index.php?option=com_user&task=register) at the site. :wavey:

--------------------------
**What is collabunlimited?

Right now it's a ground floor, a beginning that I hope will highlight the potential benefits of collabing, and put online collaboration projects into a more positive spotlight.

I hope that with your grass roots support this site will be a place that helps promote and support online collaboration. Still reading? For more info go visit the site.
thnx

softdistortion
05-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Six new FBX mocap files are up in the Shop. :wip:
These are drag and drop for Motionbuilder 5+

softdistortion
06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Working on interviews with online collab teams from around the world.

Some interesting progress can be made even when starting as a self supported online collaboration ...collabunlimited will be exploring how some of these teams are growing into full fledged production houses that spin their short films into TV productions.

You really can have success doing what you love, find great workmates and build your own studio without commuting to a dark cubicle.

For future info and interviews-
What would you like to know about most in relation to online collaboration- software used, work methods, communication tools...other stuff not mentioned here??

Thnx all.
collab on

softdistortion
06-05-2008, 05:49 PM
http://collabunlimited.com/main/images/stories/newsbanner_03.jpg

Got a free month to collab....enter one of the first, BIG, CG artists collaborative competition to hit PrimeTime!

MTV and Hewlett Packard are currently looking for the very best new creative talent for a once in a lifetime opportunity to enter the ENGINE ROOM in New York City, a new MTV series that will be seen around the world.

Oh, and the winning team will get $400,000USD in cash. :eek:

READ MORE> (http://collabunlimited.com/main/)

archerx
06-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Seems, cool but you have a few typos on your page :S

softdistortion
06-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks ArcherX will fix it soon as i can get back to it.

-EDIT-
Think I got em fixed up till next time. :D

softdistortion
06-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Nobody saying a peep here, but the membership subs jumped after the MTV article went up.
Thnx to you newly sub'd dudes. :buttrock:

---------------
Thinking of adding a shoutbox or something so people can leave a word or 2 at the collabunlimited mainsite... Since nobody says anything here but they're joining instead...if you like the idea go subscribe as a member and I'll take that as a yes. :)

softdistortion
07-02-2008, 02:35 PM
To shout box or not to shout box... :shrug:
Well, a few more sub'd to the site so I guess I'll take that as a positive reply from you silent types, and try to add some kind of shoutbox to collabunlimited's main page.
---------------------
In other news...MTV's collab reality show entry date has closed June30th....had a chance to see some of the entry bio vids for a few entrants...these people are craaazy :)...will be interesting to see who is chosen to be part of the show.
---------------------
Also if all goes well, hope to be adding to the collabunlimited team with semi regular guest writers and interviewers to help add fresh material to the site. I'm still doing it alone, so if anyone else want to volunteer, or knows anyone that would like to help...spread the word and let me know what you could do.

We need- programmers, writers, researchers, interviewers, collab evangelists and advertisers to build awareness and support.

softdistortion
07-03-2008, 05:27 PM
A recent subscriber to collabunlimited.com commented on the fact that they had signed up, but weren't sure exactly what that would get them on the site that they didn't have before signing up. < not that they were expecting anything mind you.

Well, it does warrant some explanation.....for now, signing up doesn't really get you anything extra other than being able to receive notice of major updates to the site.

If you are into the idea of seeing what collabunlimited grows into, then subscribing is a good idea since new items are gonna be a bit slow coming for this first while, and you may not be back often enough to notice what's new...you don't wanna miss out do you?? :D

Seeing people join even when they likely realize they aren't getting something for their effort is also a huge boost to keep going with this idea. Partly because your effort shows support for something other than the "what's in it for me" mentality. (which I would like to see non existant at collabunlimited)...It says "hey, I like this idea and I want to show some support by registering as a member even if I don't get something right now!"

I'm pretty sure that it also weeds out some of the personalities that are more likely to take than to give...and leaves at least some types who are into giving and not just taking....that's the type needed to really make collabs work.

softdistortion
07-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Shoutbox is up on the Mainpage (http://collabunlimited.com/main/) .

leave some positive comments. :buttrock:

PS: thnx Wilex...saw this box on your site. :)

softdistortion
09-23-2008, 07:43 PM
As mentioned earlier, MTV and HP have teamed up to bring 4 teams of digital artists from around the world to New York City to compete in a series of creative challenges. The winning team takes home $400,000USD in cash plus HP gear.

Check out the premier episode at MTV or www.collabunlimited.com

http://www.collabunlimited.com/imagestrip/images/collabunlimited_49.jpg

softdistortion
10-17-2008, 03:35 AM
I guess it's kinda inevitable...CGhub.com is in beta...it's got some of the features I want to add to collabunlimited.com with the added advantage of what looks like alot more support and it seems alot more manpower to run it all.

Well, I'm signed up, so I suppose I should tell you that you otta check it out too. I have nothing to do with the site, except that like my idea for collabunlimited, it's a progression that can sit outside the mainstream forum format. I don't go for the social site pap..... a cgFacebook? Blech! there's already enough pointless posts and info bloating up the net and taking peoples time. The logical next step is more user interaction for working together..ie collabing!!!
Still, some features this site has look promising....We'll see what happens ...I have a feeling more cg oriented sites like this will start popping up in the near future :deal:

softdistortion
11-12-2008, 05:25 PM
::bumping before this thread drops off the mainpage::

Omar, let me know when you wanna go over any extra thought you had since our last discussion...lets keep this going...

..... anyone else reading this and interested....lets see some luv in here via a comment or two...People I don't recognize are still registering at collabunlimited.com, I assume they are coming from here (since I am not actively talking about it anywhere else)...but still no one (other than the regulars, and one guy on the shoutbox :D )seems to say a peep. :shrug:

BOY1DA
11-12-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm not really sure how to push things forward... The ideas are still there.
Just don't know how you plan on getting them into action.

I'm available to chat just give me a heads up by e-mail same as my MSN.

softdistortion
11-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Maybe I misunderstood...I thought we were gonna take some time to think over the points/accountability idea for a bit and then talk again to refine/troubleshoot it, if it stands up, then we look at what is available to do what is required, if it isn't off the shelf I look at a mod, or I'd have to see about scratch programming. :shrug:

Anyways, I am usually on Skype and MSN, so if you can come on when you have 30 mins or so I'll take time.

TheFreak
11-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey guys, just popping in to say hello again too :) If you want to give me a shout on MSN I can join in and give my input on the site as well and hopefully be able to offer some programming help.
Still looking into that other tool for you SD, will let you know when I have something worth showing but in the mean time we could flesh out some ideas for how the site could work beyond its current state.

Cannysage
11-12-2008, 08:08 PM
I just registered

BOY1DA
11-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Oh okay , that is what I waz thinking...

Maybe I misunderstood...I thought we were gonna take some time to think over the points/accountability idea for a bit and then talk again to refine/troubleshoot it, if it stands up, then we look at what is available to do what is required, if it isn't off the shelf I look at a mod, or I'd have to see about scratch programming. :shrug:

Anyways, I am usually on Skype and MSN, so if you can come on when you have 30 mins or so I'll take time.

softdistortion
11-13-2008, 03:42 PM
The Freak- Look forward to seeing what you cook up :)
Will try to grab you for the next time we discuss the site functions etc. :buttrock:

Cannysage- appreciate it....I'll try to revamp the info you pointed out this week!
Look forward to your input in future too

Omar- I see you on MSN, so here I come to say hi :)

softdistortion
11-21-2008, 02:50 AM
Quick update-
You may have noticed that I've been lending a hand with texture jobs to help Omar on FETCH's housing shortage a bit (*see below) . Talks about collabing promo with Omar have helped bring this about, and we're both hoping this type of "putting another teams needs before our own" will show how serious we are about the push of recent efforts to promote collabing and Collabunlimited!

There have been some suggestions in this forum recently about the missing 95% collabunlimited needs to make it the killer collab site we want it to be...A few of the long time members of collabs are meeting and discussing the details -your ideas and interest are needed to speed things along....so speak up and post your thoughts here, or if you are shy, PM or email! :buttrock:

http://www.collabunlimited.com/imagestrip/images/collabunlimited_55.jpg

http://www.collabunlimited.com/imagestrip/images/collabunlimited_56.jpg

http://www.collabunlimited.com/imagestrip/images/collabunlimited_57.jpg

softdistortion
11-27-2008, 08:40 PM
The collabunlimited.com tutorial for Richard aka TheFreak's drunk guy model is almost ready...below is a 4 paged mockup just to show something for now.

Still need to figure out the best way to post this and still use it to whet people's appetite for more and get them to sign up at collabunlimited.com...maybe a couple pages in the forums and the rest at the site???

Suggestions???

http://www.collabunlimited.com/imagestrip/images/collabunlimited_58.jpg

BOY1DA
11-27-2008, 11:53 PM
The mock up is looking pretty good.... Giving me a germ of an idea :lightbulb

I have tons of video and still images from all the collab tutorials I made in my projects.
If you want to use them on your site, that is okay with me....

Maybe look around for other projects that have tutorials made and it would
be kool to have them all in one place, that can be linked back to the projects
that made them ? Just an Idea that you may have already had :shrug:

Also maybe , see about getting more collab related tuts, about exporting from one application
to another, from people who have to work with many types of 3D applications.

That could lead up to a best of DVD of online colllabing projects tutorials.

softdistortion
11-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks for offering your work to be used in future tutorials..need your help to pinpoint the most popular potentials...then I'll have to schedule them....it takes a bit of work to make an article. :)

About tuts all in one place...I posted an idea about that in the collab dev forum ...please add your thoughts in there too...maybe some expansion on what you said here...how to make it user friendly etc etc. :)

...especially like the Collab specific tuts idea...we should definitely do some info on the issues we have had and how to best deal with them...clean cross app export/import of models and animation is a biggy. :thumbsup:

Hope to have a public suggestions forum setup soon to augment the collab dev forum, so the general public can input ideas on what they want to see in a collab site...then that can condense into the dev side. :wip:

softdistortion
12-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Ok, the revised "what is collabunlimited" blurb is up> HERE (http://www.collabunlimited.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=29) (thnx to some editorial help from TheFreak)

Make more sense?

TheFreak
12-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Hey cool to see all of this stuff moving along. I think I did a couple of video tutorials a while ago too not sure were they are now though. Might be useful for the site.

I agree about the collab specific tuts though as these would be useful for anyone in a collab situation.

softdistortion
12-04-2008, 09:20 PM
sure, dig em up if you can find them!

I think more and more people are slowly coming to the conclusion that collaboration is an important development...noitced this post in another forum in here at CGT>

I've got a couple of personal projects that I can't ever see me completing because of the over-whelming amount of work and miniscule amount of free time that I have. I'm not talking full-length feature film or computer game but I am thinking quality over quantity and something that would make people sit up and notice.

Why I'm suggesting it:

As I already mentioned, I'm too busy to do it on my own plus I'm not an all-encompassing, 3d artiste extraordinare. I'd rather be involved in a shared project that wows than burn myself out on a half-arsed attempt that never sees the light of day (I'm looking at you Rust Boy). I'd genuinely like to help talented artists to have an amazing showreel piece without needing to work for 3yrs at Blizzard or ILM first. Many of us make a living doing quite dull 3d work, wouldn't it be great to work on something that most of us would not normally get a chance to?

One of the things that I'm keen not to do is have just anyone work on it. Might sound a bit harsh but the last thing any project needs is a dead weight, myself included. Although I have a couple of vague ideas the concept process should be open to all and that's where anyone is welcome. Beyond that I think that it is important to get a team that understands the project, is keen to work within a team and has the skills to contribute effectively. I don't believe that it should be a school project for people to learn 3D apps, rather something to inspire those that are learning by showing what is possible.

Sounds like he needs collabunlimited. :D

And here's the updated info for the sites purpose -What is Collabunlimited?
In short, Collabunlimited is an ongoing experiment to try and provide a fun and friendly platform for project developers and artists to meet up and share ideas and skills. We hope to expand it into a one stop site for all things collaborative.To start, we need to hear a little about you, so we are adding a search and match profile section to the site where you can share your interests, artistic style, experience etc. to an ever expanding list of artists and prospective collabors!

I hope people see what's happening and get excited about wanting to have a share. If that happens then things will grow. Ideally other people with projects will contribute their insight and energy and collabunlimited will help turn around the negatives associated with collaborations....Well, I can dream right?

...hope to add this in the news article section on the frontpage right now it is linked in the "Start Here" submenu and in the "Features" link at the top of the mainpage.

***Richard TheFreak's modelling tutorial is all finished as well, so that should be up here and at SQ soon :buttrock:

Kirt
12-17-2008, 10:09 PM
softdistortion - I've been kind of skim reading this thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=707821) since it showed up. I think there have been a few mentions of the Open Source comparison and I'd like to throw this out there for you ...

One of the reason why I think Open Source is working more effectively than the Collab model is because there is an ability for someone to either go "all dedicated" to the project or "part-time it" and then leave. Collab projects currently don't make it very easy for someone who has a moderate interest to jump into it immediately, do a small bit of work and then leave. You're almost expected to do a full-time gig until the project completes if you express any interest at all in the project.

What I think would be more ideal is some sort of system that would allow members to browse the ideas, assets and needs of individual projects then select the item of interest that the user feels that they could contribute to. Plus (and this is the most important part) allow the needs of the project to be divided into small obtainable goals which could be accomplished in a day or two (like weekend warrior assignments). Project leaders would then have the option to either approve or reject the completed work based upon their expectations and goals. Approved items get added to the resources list, denied items get kicked back to the user to either give up on or continue working on.

Of course there should be a feedback system involved as well. The project leader should be required to leave comments on the work so that the user either gets a referral or important help to improve his/her work.

For example:

A first time visitor to the site would see tabs or menu items that would narrow their selected area of interest to concept art. There they would be presented with a list of current project needs or a list of descriptions of items/characters/environments that need concept art completed. They would select one of interest Download any required materials Work on their piece Submit it when completeIn practice you might have several people working on the same piece and uploading their ideas for review.

Then the project leader or assigned concept art lead would review each submission and either approve of the design or reject it. They would give a review of the item which would (if approved) become a permanent part of the asset that can be viewed by members browsing the project's assets. Sort of like directors notes but also serving the purpose of recommendations if the user chooses to display them along with other info on their user profile pages. (if denied) remain private to only the artist and project lead. It's important for project leaders to leave feedback on rejected work so that the artist may try to improve the work but it shouldn't be weighed as a permanent mark on the user's status.This system would allow skilled members to gain reputation on the site and with the project leaders but allow the members who haven't yet had work approved to remain at a neutral status rather than damaging their reputation for work that wasn't as good as someone else's.

With a system like this, you can see how easy it would be for someone who's just browsing to say, "oh I could do that", get it done and then either choose to do more or go about their business. The end result is that the Project leader has something done that he/she can now pass on to the next phase of modelling, texturing, rigging, etc. and the user has accomplished something and received a reward (in a short amount of time).

This, in my opinion, is what needs to be done if you want to see more interest and results in the Collab scene.

Kirt
12-17-2008, 10:19 PM
It just occurred to me ...

The drawback is that you'd need very dedicated project leaders to make assignments and review the assets in this situation. You'd almost benefit from having one primary director and several areas of specialty directors to manage everything for larger projects. This would leave your system open to problems if one of these higher level members decides that they can't work on the project any longer. Which leads you back to project failure like what happens frequently here in this forum.

So you're most probably going to want to be selective somehow on what type of projects are listed on the site or regular database clean up of inactive projects and assignments. Else your database is going to be filled with a ton of dropped balls and pathetic ideas that noone wants to join. Also, some manner of assigning the middle management positions to members so that you could have like a technical director or lead design artist on the project. Should that person not be able to continue their duties, you'd be able to move it to someone else.

TheFreak
12-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Oh I like this idea! Thats pretty much how I collab, except I browse through the threads looking for somthing I can do. The major drawback to this is that forum threads are very linear and make it very hard to keep track of whats needed in project without spending a lot of time sifting through the thread.

This way I could easily look through the list of items and pick one I wanted to do. So times when I am not as busy on one project I can jump about doing others. And short tasks would make it a lot easier to fit around work and life in general.

I think there is still some planning to do to get this idea off the drawing board as Kirt has already stated with team leads going walkies. However I think by the very act of having to plan ahead all the assets you might need for the project you will deter the wanna be leads and get the more dedicated people.

The site could have automatic facilities to filter out old projects that have not been active for x number of months to keep things clean. But all in all this sounds like a very plausable idea and would be a great tool for the community.

softdistortion
12-18-2008, 02:52 AM
Excellent points Kirt! ....wish we could talk realtime...but in the meantime good old text does the job.

I've considered open source style...one issue is getting artists to be cool with allowing free public access to their models etc...another issue is that true open source allows anyone to take the source and use it for their profit. that combo i think is a deal killer for most artists.

That aside, I did notice some on that other thread mention they would prefer something like this...hit and run collabing....I like the idea of the self serve buffet workflow...it kinda fits the way we did some things in shirowproject...and it worked there too....will give that some more thought how to better implement it for more people to access....also how to make it less linear, cause that issue Freak mentioned also came up repeatedly in our project when it had so many posts/pages...people were overwhelmed, yet at the same time it was something that impressed others... seeing the size of a project thread and taking it as a sign of endurance or whatever.

Initially I am thinking a team area with a forum, but keeping that closed to team only to see the many posts...form there RSS could populate a mainpage wth the current activity from all active groups....that way it would also be self pruning as old non active teams would never get a fresh RSS feed to the front page....

gotta sleep now, but will think it over some more and try to post more tomorrow.

Thanks for your input!

softdistortion
12-22-2008, 07:40 PM
The Freak aka Richard Walsh has been kind enough to provide info and pics for a collabunlimited article covering the making of his drunk guy character.

Posting it all here means you don't have to go to the mainsite to read it, but it sure would be nice if you did register to show your support!
what is collabunlimited? (http://www.collabunlimited.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=29)

http://collabunlimited.com/FILES/PROMOFILES/drunk_guy_tutorial_PG1b.jpg

http://collabunlimited.com/FILES/PROMOFILES/drunk_guy_tutorial_PG2b.jpg

http://collabunlimited.com/FILES/PROMOFILES/drunk_guy_tutorial_PG3b.jpg

http://collabunlimited.com/FILES/PROMOFILES/drunk_guy_tutorial_PG4b.jpg

Register (http://www.collabunlimited.com/main/index.php?option=com_user&task=register) and receive notification of our artist and project profile match system going live in 2009!

Kirt
12-22-2008, 08:40 PM
I've considered open source style...one issue is getting artists to be cool with allowing free public access to their models etc...another issue is that true open source allows anyone to take the source and use it for their profit. that combo i think is a deal killer for most artists.
There are ways you can manage these though. You could allow the project leaders to select an option when listing their projects that this is proprietary or open source. Terms of use agreements prior to download. Have generic agreements online that users can sign and submit to the project leads which allows them to access the files. Visable icons that show the work is either free to use or reserved for this particular project.... just to name a few. Just because an item is placed on the net does not automatically release it of all it's legal protections. You just have to be carefull about how you present the "gates" that allow access. I understand there are going to be instances where it's not going to matter to those who'd take for thier own use, but that's true in any creative medium.

softdistortion
12-23-2008, 12:37 AM
There are ways you can manage these though. You could allow the project leaders to select an option when listing their projects that this is proprietary or open source. Terms of use agreements prior to download. Have generic agreements online that users can sign and submit to the project leads which allows them to access the files. Visable icons that show the work is either free to use or reserved for this particular project.... just to name a few. Just because an item is placed on the net does not automatically release it of all it's legal protections. You just have to be carefull about how you present the "gates" that allow access. I understand there are going to be instances where it's not going to matter to those who'd take for thier own use, but that's true in any creative medium.

Thanks Kirt.

lewissatini
12-23-2008, 05:15 AM
hi,
I am new in the site
thanks for opening the collab site.
I register on the site, but i don't get any email confirmation. I am not sure if the register is record.

Thank you

softdistortion
12-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi andylou17,
Welcome to collabunlimited! :wavey:

Your registration went through...If you didn't get an email back, you might need to check your email filters in case your confirmation email went into the spam.

You will need to make sure email from the site is allowed through so you get notification of expansion in 2009.

softdistortion
12-26-2008, 04:14 PM
HERE'S (http://collabunlimited.com/videoplayer/) a 'Model for UV' tutorial created around some texture work I donated to the Fetch project collab...Tony TheBest said he wanted to see this, so maybe someone else will appreciate it too.

And don't skip the end cause it has some fully awesome promo for collabunlimited. :scream:

...cool! ....and.... BAM!... right?.... :D

aurora
12-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Just had to pop in and say Hey! I've been severly missing in action thanks to school but am back working on some new/old stuff for the Shirow Project. More important then that SD you have a PMail from SQ with a MUCH better way to get a hold of me and get the long ago promised article written while I have lots and lots of free time to work on it!

softdistortion
01-16-2009, 05:04 PM
:UPDATE:
Here's what is being setup so far for Phase2 of Collabunlimited-

Member profiles
Search and matching of member profiles
Blog with image gallery and rating system
Email notification of comments or ratings on your work
Subscribe to members or team updates

Team groups
Open or closed team membership option
Full team leader moderation
Team exclusive forum with RSS feeds
Team exclusive messaging
Team group image gallery
Team members list

BETA members in Feb-Mar
If you have any interest in being part of the beta, join HERE (http://www.collabunlimited.com/main/index.php?option=com_user&task=register)

BOY1DA
01-18-2009, 01:47 AM
Sounds good , looking forward to checking it out.

TheCaveman
01-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Would love to give it a test run as well.

I discovered the other day a workspace system called Agora-Project unfortunatly its french and the english version isn't that well translated and no real english documentation exists yet but I got it up and running for the new omiQron project can make you an account so you could have a look if you want? looks rather promissing and its open source so all the code is available as well :)

Cheers
Jozef

softdistortion
01-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys.

Will have a look at your setup Josef. Thnx

softdistortion
02-06-2009, 12:42 PM
UPDATE:
BETA will be ready within next 2 weeks. :wip:
This weekend...stay tuned for a few screen shots of what it looks like.

softdistortion
02-07-2009, 10:19 PM
http://collabunlimited.com/FILES/PROMOFILES/collabnetworkgrab.jpg

softdistortion
02-08-2009, 09:03 PM
You may notice that Video uploading is also an added option.....teams and individuals will be able to add their clips and showreels to profiles or team project sections.

Member blogs are also integrated as is a rating system so people can rate your work.

The newest updates are always fed to the front page so visitors will be able to get a quick overview of what's new.

External RSS feeds can also be fed onto the front page and I'm hoping to have something nice for members to use, as an option for a stand alone presentation for their work...this standalon webspace can also be fed to the front page if desired.

Still some CSS issues to sort out

softdistortion
02-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Well, the sites up and seems to be functional. :bounce:

It's not going public for a while yet, ...in the meantime still hoping to get a bit more active support and interest from locals in here, but I guess everyone's busy atm.

anywaaazzzz....Next step is to get a bit of content started, so moving shirowproject info into place...guess I'll move Fetch in for you Omar? Did you get my email btw??

Also want to contact the shortproject to see if they will come on board. :wip:

Collabunlimited is a very hard sell, but I hope that keeping some WIP and eye candy streaming from a handful of collab projects will eventually start to build public interest and see the idea take hold a bit stronger. :buttrock:

BOY1DA
02-16-2009, 02:23 AM
Yep , got your e-mail will check it out ASAP :) Think I'll do that now..

softdistortion
02-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks Omar... if you can squeeze it in, your feedback/suggestions appreciated.

softdistortion
02-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
Main page adjustments (less verticle columns + less info in general) are up. :wip:

softdistortion
03-29-2009, 11:08 PM
UPDATE:
Still working at the groups modifications that need adding on the network end of collabunlimited before it goes public....maybe the guys that have tried it out as it sits so far could say couple words about how it's shaping up?

aurora
03-29-2009, 11:21 PM
The site is REALLY shaping up. Looks dang nice to me! I love the random notes on the Lab page, how many are there though seems like only a few. Do you need/want more?

Is there anything specific I can test for you. Granted I spent all spring break week trying to get caught up and still need another one, but I will have some free time this week.

Question, Since in some freakish way (I sent you an Email on this) way Wes added that article within an hour of when I went in to post The Freak article, should we created something special to use on April 11th, or there abouts pending you, to announce the opening of Collabunlimited and then a couple weeks after that post The Freak article? Just trying to find what will be best for you.

================================================================
Side Note for everyone else:
I'm still plugging away, very slowly sadly, on the two huge new Shirow projects, waiting very impatiently for something major league important to move further along. Should have it by Tuesday (in theory)

softdistortion
03-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks Aurora.
The main features are tested out and working ok, but there was some discussion between me and Omar and the consensus was that the groups needed some extras. Hope to have it ready for testing sooon! :wip: :wip:

Re the Article on SQ- go ahead and post the Freak Article as you had mentioned in email...it's already dragged on a while and I know Richard would be happy to see it on SQ.

I would appreciate some other promo ads or something on SQ to help expose more people to the next phase of collabunlimited, so hopefully we can still do something else for that soon?

Thanks

BOY1DA
03-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Yes indeed , it is coming along,some kool stuff already put in place for individual members.
Like video uploads and member profiles, automatic front page updates of the latest stuff going on by the users.

The group section is my main interest, Soft D is working on getting tools put in
for group work flows, to help make updating projects for the team leaders easier , and for other
users to catch up and preview the work that a project has done up to date, not to mention
show off at a glance all the eye candy and best assets a project has.

It will be something to look forward to when it is up and running.:thumbsup:

TheFreak
03-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Hey Guys,

I have not had a chance to look at the collabunlimited site for a while, but just had a quick look there now and its looking good SD. Looking forward to seeing what updates you have in the pipeline.

Its also a little hard to tell how it will all look with just the sample data in there at the moment. but I know it will expand as time marches on :)

I am still in work so I am going to have a more in depth look at it tonight and hopefully get back to you with some solid feedback, but just wanted to pop in a say hello :P

Also I noticed a small bug, its just with the menu at the top. When you hover over the headings the sub menu appears below but sometimes when you go to click on a sub menu item they disappear as you roll off the main menu item. It looks as though there is a gap between the menu button and the sub-menu that is allowing it to fire off the "onmouseout" code which knocks off the sub menu or reverts it back to the currently selected menu. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers for the updates on the article too. Looking forward to seeing it up on SQ...hopefully it all makes enough sense to be useful to people :P

Cheers

softdistortion
04-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys!

The menu bug is present as you noticed Richard, but there's so much stuff on the groups additions that I have left it for now as it works properly when you full click the top menu...it is a bit irritating I admit...it's on the fix list!

Some not so good new is that our programmer is on backlog and that means another slow down on the group additions mentioned in my previous post. Also I still don't have a price on what it will all cost to do the updates...still gonna be optimistic and say somehow it will all work out soooon!

One positive thing I will say about this--minus the group additions, the whole networking end of the site is ready to roll as far as I can tell, so I'm saying we met the goal of having it up and running by April 1st! :D

softdistortion
04-01-2009, 03:22 PM
A couple interesting quotes (CGW ) that relate to the Lonewolf, superstar versus team player artist debate (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=205804&postcount=25) that I've been having for a while in various forums.

This is quoted from-
Lala Gagavian, director of staffing at Venice Cal based Digital Domain (http://digitaldomain.com/) a VFX and animation company.

"Attitude is Everything
Gavgavian and her colleagues look for "soft-skill" qualities- such as the ability to be a strong team player, a self-starter, and have a great attitude when filling positions at Digital Domain."

Digital Domain's RECENT PROJECTS

BENJAMIN BUTTON
GOLDEN COMPASS
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN- AT WORLDS END
TRANSFORMERS

Similarly, Rodger's seeks proven team players, and endeavours to avoid people with large egos and who want to do their own thing, because they don't fit into Double Negative's (http://www.dneg.com/) culture. "you can't pretend to be passionate and enthusiastic about what you do", he says. "People who commit to do their best have integrity and are willing to learn, stretch, and challenge themselves are worth their weight in gold."

Double Negative's RECENT PROJECTS

INKHEART
QUANTUM OF SOLACE
HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY
THE DARK KNIGHT

Promoting "soft-skills" is a crucial area that collabunlimited.com is continually working to expand, educate, and facilitate, via collaborative artistic projects.

TheFreak
04-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Hey Guys,

I know what you mean regarding the bugs. They can take a while to iron out and you need to prioratise but thought I would let you know in case you missed it.

Anyway I had a bit more of a look at the site and it all looks good. Looking forward to seeing it in action. I think it will come into its own then when we start using it for projects and see what areas work well.

I was chatting to BOY1DA earlier tonight and mentioned an idea I had after using your house kit for Fetch. Would it good to have some kits available on the site for use in collabs. For things like houses, streets, ships etc. it might be useful to have peices already UV'ed and textured etc. so people can just build their own if they need them and are running low on people to do it. It probably needs a little more thought but it might be a nice draw to have them available for registered users/project managers.

OK, now I was a little cheeky and had a look at the front page of the current site and thought I would have a go at an alternative layout. Not even sure if its all possbile with the system you are using, and I hope you don't mind me tweaking your existing layout. I just thought I would throw it out as an alternative idea to squash all that info you have onto the site :) If you like it then happy days....btw the logo text and top graphic etc was just a mess about as I know you have a logo already.

http://cp01.myhostcenter.com/%7Ewhoisthe/images/collab-mock.jpg

If its in anyway useful then run with it, if not then its no biggie. And again I hope you don't mind me messing with the layout, but it was easier than trying to explain things via forum posts :)

Cheers

BOY1DA
04-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Nice layout , I like the featured group section...

softdistortion
04-02-2009, 02:29 AM
I really like it, A LOT!!

Now you gave me more ideas...Phase2 is never gonna be ready to open...way to go Richard. :D

TheFreak
04-02-2009, 09:32 AM
lol glad you like it, sorry for causing more delays though :D
It not perfect (few too many font size variations etc) but its gets a few more ideas across. I think a lot of the functionality of the site is going to develop over time as we see what people want etc. Plus its only fair that you make a few bucks off it for that kind of thing, instead of shelling out everything now. So some nicely placed advertising and what not would hopefully pay for that.
Sites such as CGTalk and SpinQuad all started life as BBS mainly using vBulletin so apart from the initial license cost of that. They were off and running quite quickly and building a viewer base for advertisers etc. So the sooner you get a site up and running the quicker you will see some kind of return and this will allow you to develop the site more without forking out lots of your own ca$h.
So i figured a new layout would be better feedback that another list of changes that are going to cost you money and may not make as much of a difference as we hope.

Anyway, good luck with it all so far and if I think of anything else I will let you know :)

softdistortion
04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
No worries in any way, not upset, and really appreciate your work on the design. :buttrock:
In fact lets try adding the featured groups idea asap.

I'll be talking to you on MSN...oh wait we already are talking on MSN. :D

TheFreak
04-03-2009, 12:05 AM
OK so i had a go at what I thought the featured section would look like. Its not 100% finished but I am off for the next few days so I thought I would post this for anyone who is interested.

I sent you the stuff in an email SD

DEMO (http://cp01.myhostcenter.com/%7Ewhoisthe/collab/index.html)

Cheers

softdistortion
04-03-2009, 02:06 AM
The "Featured Groups" box portion of TheFreak's design shown above is up and running.
Wow now if things always went that smoothly. :wip:

------------------
Thanks for your contribution on this Richard!
Everyone I have let see the design so far really likes it.
I'm already looking at what else I can manage to incorporate from your layout.

Have a good trip....and don't forget the golf club to fend off those G20 hooligans! :D
-------------------
Also thanks to my local bud Rob for his contributions on the coding end.

TheCaveman
04-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Looking insanly promissing there Softdistortion ^^,
I am looking forward to being able to take it for a test run :).

The new design The Freak did looks really nice too!!
Seems like things are coming together really well.

@Softdistortion, I am still working on the webbased renderfarm, testing it thoroughly before releasing anything but will keep you posted on that one.
looks like you got a project management system integrated into collab-unlimited as well?

softdistortion
04-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks Jozef.
Next time we are both on MSN give me a nudge and I'll send you test user login info so you can have an inside look.

Project management isn't implemented in the main app.

What is setup so far are items that I hope will facilitate artist networking. The group/team section still needs some expansion, but the rest is done.

I have a system in the wings that will work well for project management and also allows a basic time/work record with % of job completion records etc that can be presented in pie chart graphics...but most people won't need that complexity, so it will be there only for group projects if they want to use it.

**Please keep me updated on your progress with the renderfarm app.

softdistortion
04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
More tweaks finished to implement TheFreak's design ideas...bigger box title text and capatalization. Also colors changed around a bit more. :wip:

softdistortion
05-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Things are still moving on the networking section...I lost the main programmer that was gonna do the groups modifications which is a shame, cause Omar and I spent an age going over the details and I did a full on design document compete with an animated video describing the proposed functions. :scream:

Oh well...I'm not sure if it matters too much since the summer slowdown is just around the corner anyways...The network section is up an running at the main collabunlimited.com site.
I will be setting up a page with some tutorials that will run through the sites functions as it sits now, and also show the additions coming in future.
:buttrock:

softdistortion
05-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Still trying to get time to do the tutorial vids...sooon...

Recent good news is we may have a new programmer to work on some of the group section changes.

Thanks to Tim and Wes over at SQ for their support and a bit of promo. :buttrock:

TheCaveman
05-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Hey softdistortion I came around this today and might be nice to keep a spot open to maybe integrate this into CollabUnlimited? It might safe you tons of coding hours? unfortunatly it isn't launched yet but it can be tested

Cheers
Jozef

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ

softdistortion
06-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the link Jozef.

The collabnetwork is able to integrate almost anything that is embeddable so this and any future stuff will likely work...custom apps would be cool if we eventually have enough users to get some people doing that.

More things are being added each month. I have it setup so people can run multiple live video boxes on their profile pages and also on the main page if we want to. This will allow members to add boxes for multiple team members and see and speak with all of them. Members will to be able to form small working groups studios even if they are in an isolated situation that would normally make it impossible. This is all user configurable on the member profile pages.

Another scenario would be to stream your computer screen for live tutorials or to allow others to see you work etc...lots of possibilities.

S

softdistortion
06-04-2009, 08:47 PM
New Media related infovid by MIT professor Henry Jenkins posted on the Mainpage (http://collabunlimited.com/main/) .

softdistortion
06-18-2009, 11:43 AM

softdistortion
06-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Latest project added to Collabunlimited artist's Network.
Welcome to SB Project. (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/entry/TSB-project)

softdistortion
07-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Update:
I'm thinking of modifying the model collabunlimited's network section will follow.
I was hoping to base it mainly on team projects based around more experienced collabers.
Problem is getting people to commit, cooperate and deliver.

I'm noticing more and more training sites are popping up, but the cost of many is still pretty high for most.
Also noticing more artists are offering high quality tutorials for free or small fee on the web.
Will try to see if that could be a foundation for the network. Possibly hiring some of these talented people to create a unified set of tutorials that are based on a project that will produce an end product.

At the same time the network section now has the ability to allow any member to add a streaming video channel to their profile and populate that with prerecorded or live broadcasts tutorials, project work etc.

An event's calendar allows broadcasts to be prescheduled. A ticket system is also installed to set the number of members able to join an event broadcast, set it as free or fee, and even set a separate free or fee discount for collabunlimited members.

Members will also be able to submit a "wish" for tutorials or other items they would like to see. If there is enough demand for their request it can be entered as an event and then opened to the membership as a challenge for creation of the item/tut/broadcast etc. The winner would be payed with funds coming from memberships and or event ticket sales.

It's all still experimental, but the guts are now pretty well setup and waiting to be populated. Feedback on the ideas above appreciated. :wavey:

softdistortion
08-17-2009, 07:46 PM
http://collabunlimited.com/main/images/stories/opera.jpg (http://collabunlimited.com/main/)
CHECK THIS (http://collabunlimited.com/main/)
It's the exact same idea we've tried to get started at collabunlimited to create storylines via open wiki contributions from online users.

It's not any new genius idea..it's a logical branch to old systems using new communication channels.

It looks like an unruly method to build story lines this way, because it is...but it generates ideas that would generally not happen using traditional methods... like many new things the people who learn the ropes now will benefit later. :wip:

aurora
08-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Interesting, I'm a Wagner person personally and deff not a Twitter person. I personally like how you have Collab setup alot more then what I see with the TwitterOpera. Although as a biochemist and a parrot/Macaw lover I'm interested to see where the opera goes.

softdistortion
08-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Interesting, I'm a Wagner person personally and deff not a Twitter person.

Yep, I know how that is. Twitter is hard for many of us to get our heads around, but once you do, it has it's uses.

From simply using it as an update stream to aggregate multiple blogs or whatever you have running online-if it does RSS it's send able to your twitter stream...to a research and or networking tool- You follow people you respect or are interested in and they tweet links that you would likely never find without their tipping you to it.

Some user Quotes>
"I’ve been in my particular niche for over 10 years and know who the players are (though they don’t know me). When I checked who she was following on Twitter, there they all were! It read like a “Who’s Who” list.”

Rylander joined Twitter and began following and interacting with the people she respected. “Other than a cold call on the phone or e-mail, I would never have the chance to get my name in front of vendors, industry analysts, and industry experts. I’ve had a number of Twitter conversations that have also led to personal conversations.”

“Twitter is new to us. That said, in a few short weeks we’ve had definite increase in all sorts of traffic. Out of the normal inbound leads, the number has increased 15% and two of the inbounds are now active pipeline opportunities. We’ve found one extremely valuable partner relationship. We are also building PR relationships, although finding the contacts is a bit of a chore.”

“Twitter has all but replaced our PR agency as a large percentage of our followers are press and analysts. A writer for ZDNet wrote about us and linked to us based on something we tweeted and that resulted in a huge spike in web traffic and at least one deal with a major service provider.”

I personally like how you have Collab setup alot more then what I see with the TwitterOpera.

Thanks, what in particular do you like about the collab setup versus the TwitterOpera?...what would you like to see improved on the collabsetup?

Although as a biochemist and a parrot/Macaw lover I'm interested to see where the opera goes.

I'm also interested to see where it goes...I think one thing is certain, a company with this rep will see it through.That's important for this type of thing to develop in future. However, the most important thing to me though is not the subject or the company using it...its the method itself ...using an open contribution model to create a "script".

It's something I have wanted and tried to do for a long while (remember when I set up that wiki for us to collaborate on a shirowproject magazine article?)...and we WILL be using at collabunlimited in near future!

Stay tuned :wip:

softdistortion
08-19-2009, 03:42 PM
While it's a topic. here are some other examples of collaborative online stroy writing>

Chain Stories

The rules1 consist of one person writing a word, sentence or paragraph (or more) in the style of a story and then passing the piece of paper (or email, in the case of the office worker) onto the next person, who continues the story. This continues, cycling through the participants, until the story reaches its natural conclusion2.

For this to work, everyone must agree on a few basic guidelines, but there are a number of versions available.

Variations

Free For All: Write whatever you like - but beware, this can get confusing.

No Offense: Inclusion of persons present is not allowed - some people can get rather upset if you use their name for a serial killer.

Squeaky Clean: No rude words or sexual references - suitable for family viewing.

Constant Characters: Characters may only be removed by the participant who created that character - this stops people removing your character before they've had a chance to do anything interesting, but remember that too many characters battling for attention never looks good.

Control Freak: Characters and locations may only be changed by the player who initiated the story - this leads to a more structured story, but it's dull and can lead to rebellion among the ranks.

---------------

Chain novel
From Wikipedia

A chain novel or "Chain Story" is written collectively by a group of authors. The novel is passed along from author to author, each adding a new chapter or section to the work, with the rule that each subsequent chapter or section should elaborate and follow the plotline of preceding chapters or sections. The legal theorist Ronald Dworkin has compared common law jurisprudence to chain novels by suggesting that judges, like chain novel authors, must elaborate and follow the laws set before them.

The Pick-up truck slid to a stop and the journey of the past 5 days was now behind her. Millie dug into her icy jeans, finding whatever money she had left to thank the old man for driving her from Maple Valley. This is where the road ends and our story begins. You see, sometimes places you never thought you'd see again are suddenly in front of you. And a lot of life is left behind you. Had she done the right thing? We may never know. But, Millie was no ordinary girl and December 25 is no ordinary day...

The story continues on through the participation of others, no one knows who/what/how things happen next except the next person to add on to the story. This method of writing is a shared project and often leads in very unexpected directions. This collaborative effort is used to stimulate creativity, and the exploration of new ideas.

One problem with chain stories is they can get very long and complicated due to the number of different people adding new bits and twists.

* Mosaic novel
A mosaic novel is a novel where individual chapters are written by different authors with the aim of telling linear story from beginning to end however with the individual chapters refracting a plurality of viewpoints and styles.

Examples of mosaic novels as opposed to short story collections set in a shared universe would be the Wild Cards series begun by George R. R. Martin and the Thieves World series of Robert Lynn Asprin and others. Thieves World overtly used and may have coined the term mosaic novel for this practice of sharing a world and vision amongst several authors.
------------------

Youtube
Chain story
Rules> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxB6bEOZRp0

------------------

Youtube
Example> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB8Sft9gHU0&feature=related
Different Youtubers take turns telling a story 15 words at a time.

Story:
(me): This is a story about a boy named Bill. Sadly, Bill didn't have many friends.

(Fabiana): At school kids used to ignore him because he was considered a little bit weird.

(Duncan): Until he realized he could eat his own face. So he went into showbiz. There...

(Meghan): He found Jesus and was miraculously saved! Leaving his face eating ways behind him and

(Whitney): he picked up some new guitar skills and was featured on MTV! He thought that..

(Leah): maybe his new fame would finally get the girl he loved to notice him, however..

(Mikey): he was mistaken. Danielle, was already in love with him, but too shy to say.

(Aubrey): Bill ordered an airplane to leave her a loving message in the sky, but sadly..

(Didier):Bills nemesis prevented the plane from taking off so Danielle never saw Bills good intention.

(Kimmi): Since the airplane failed he decided to play Danielle a song he had written for

(John): ...his school's talent show, where he performed and failed miserably. He thought she might appreciate..

(Rachel): .. a four-leaf clover; everyone knows they are good luck. In the nearby clover field...

(Alex): ....there were two men waiting. One holding a Wiimote, He decided to approach them and...

(Mallory): ask, "What can I do with a WiiMote?" He thought maybe Danielle would be impressed...

(Zack): "You must start a fire with the Wiimote" one of the men replied, smiling ominously...

(Phil): Bill set both men on fire, grew 100 feet tall. and headed towards the city..

(Chago): After squashing a few buildings, he made his way to Danielle's house, sincerely hoping that...

(Fiona): She wasn't killed in the process. He found her in bed with the queen who said...

(Dan): "Leave us alone, leave us alone! Go away now, we're both lesbians. This is private"

(Brittany): Suddenly, Bill's cellphone woke him from the horrible lesbian nightmare with a text from Danielle.

(Kyle): "You are late for our date. You better not fall asleep again!" Danielle said.

--------------------
example2
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?action=printpage;topic=38527.0

The rules

* READ THE ENTIRE STORY THOROUGHLY BEFORE ADDING TO IT.
* Once a story has been passed to you, you have 24 hours to send a response back to me stating that you received it.
* Once a story has been passed to you, you have a total of 48 hours to add your part and return it to me.
* If you do not reply within 24 hours or finish within 48 hours, the story will skip you, going to an alternate or to me.
* Each person may add a maximum of 200 words to the story.
* Do not post anything in this thread that indicates who has written what or what the plot is looking like. No spoilers.

Six stories have been started with the themes "Science Fiction," "Medieval Fantasy," and "Adventure Game Parody." For each theme, the twenty people who signed up were randomized onto two teams. Each team will collaborate on a story. After the completion of the stories, I'll post them here, we'll have a laugh, and vote on which team did the best job working together.

softdistortion
08-22-2009, 07:44 PM
http://ts.vimeo.com.s3.amazonaws.com/224/763/22476303_200.jpg (http://collabunlimited.com/main/)
Update on new Member functions ADDED to collabunlimited's Artist network section

DAZZAN
10-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Bumping this wonderful thread.

Managed to get in here a bit this weekend,such a lot of work gone on on this great site.
And the reason is to bring people together to meet & discuss.
Please sign up and take a look around.

DAZZ

softdistortion
10-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks Dazzan. :buttrock:

softdistortion
11-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Why is the Science of Collaboration relevant now? For thousands of years people have collaborated, from the first tribal bands hunting for large game to the feudal states in the middle ages to the large multinational companies of today.

But only now with the emergence of the Internet and the Web do we have the means to solve tasks collaboratively at a large scale, with anybody, about anything, at anytime, and anywhere.

Anybody planning a totally crazy project has the chance now to find the few other people on the world who care about the same topic with the same passion, and form the Collaborative Network, to tackle the issue and collaboratively develop a solution.

softdistortion
01-13-2010, 05:29 PM
UPDATE:

Some changes for collabunlimited and the artists network planned>

Collabunlimited Artist Network (http://collabunlimited.net/network/) will be re-purposed in some way when I see how that may best be done.

It will also be used to generate some project survival funds.

AS OF APRIL 2010-
Collabunlimited.com, which is an info portal section of the collab network of sites, will be redesigned with a simpler layout. It will contain ONLY collab oriented news and the odd interview i get time to do.

The current design and layout structure of Collabunlimited.com will be re-purposed at softdistortion.com. Which hasn't had a redo for like 8 years and is mostly broken.
If anyone is interested it's under sporadic reconstructive surgery HERE (http://softdistortion.com)

softdistortion
04-29-2010, 12:47 PM
It's been quiet, but I'm at work implementing the overdue changes listed above in my previous post.

So far here's what is done>

100% DONE....And check out the new site search box! :thumbsup: > COLLABUNLIMITED.com (http://collabunlimited.com) the collab info portal section of the site will be redesigned with a simpler layout. It will contain ONLY collab oriented news and the odd interview i get time to do.

90% DONE> The old layout of Collabunlimited.com will be re-purposed at softdistortion.com (http://softdistortion.com) . Which hasn't had a redo for like 8 years and is mostly broken.

Still working on this one>Collabunlimited Artist Network will be re-purposed in some way when I see how that may best be done. It will also be used to generate some project survival funds.

*As an addendum I should mention it seemed to happen like clock work that one year from the last server mess, I had to again, move EVERYTHING to new servers this spring. If you don't know what that means, rest assured it is a major pain. :banghead:

=================
There's a NEW interview with Mike Cawood up at COLLABUNLIMITED (http://collabunlimited.com)

It's a edited version of the audio interview Mike persuaded me to do instead of my usual IM text only interview method.

Mike has posted some of it on his podcast. It's after his update info. Episode 10 HERE (http://feeds.feedburner.com/AnimationInProgress)
*I think I did especially well on my "one sentence" description of collabunlimited's purpose. :surprised

mikecawood
04-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the write up SD. It's a slick website you're building.

DAZZAN
04-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Its FANTASTIC. :applause:

A lot of hard work,has paid off .

Modern,very slick.Looks cool!

So Please JOIN !

http://collabunlimited.com/

softdistortion
05-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Thanks guys.

donShole
05-07-2010, 11:29 PM
SD, the new site's really lookin' good. I see you've featured Durian. I love the Blender open movie projects and make it a point to pre order the dvds. The tutorial dvds on the Blender site are pretty good too. Opensource software lends itself particularly well for collab use since it's so easily accessible. I switched to Motionbuilder and Maya years ago cos blender animation tools weren't sufficient for me. Now Blender has made huge strides and I keep meaning to get back into it. Maybe one day...

donShole
05-18-2010, 06:18 PM
There is a Durian Trailer!
http://durian.blender.org/download/

softdistortion
06-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Thanks Lesa, and sorry for looong delayed reply here.

softdistortion
06-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Getting closer to finalizing the re-purposing of this site.

Once I get to it, will be listing some work needed for the projects I have going. Small payment system will be setup so people taking on collab work with me can get paid a modest fee.

Added a directory that will allow the work people do to be listed along with some feedback of their performance and personality working on a team. This will help get newcomers out of the hole of not getting hired cause they have never been hired and have nothing of high quality paid work to show in their portfolio.

They will get quality work to show, they will get paid for it and now they have a paying job on their resume. The people I get contact with in the industry will get pointed to the directory where they can see the info on the people collabing with me.

If all goes well the site will also be a good proving ground for artist to get to know and trust others that they can do business with down the road on larger projects.

softdistortion
07-26-2010, 01:08 PM
http://collabunlimited.net/media01/image/update_banner.jpg

Changes at the network site> www.collabunlimited.net are under way!

*Major cleanup of none active items.
*New banners added

More to come over the next month and into fall. :wip:

==================

the collab info portal www.collabunlimited.com also has a couple new items.

*new article update
*"collab intelligence" info area updated and expanded
*news section added at the bottom.

If you want to help find links, content, please PM or email me!

thx to all for your support!

softdistortion
08-04-2010, 08:31 PM

This is something new for the VFX projects.
We have a practical prop made and we're looking for someone who would like to model a CG version. Info is HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/ads/entry/Model-version-of-practial-prop)

Mecha Systems Genetic induction module-
http://collabunlimited.net/network/media/images/classifieds/img_1_1280184282_4.jpg

==================

We're in discussion on doing the opposite of the above and building life size replica sections from Tobin's CG version of the escape pod- so stay tuned for some more cool stuff

==================

If you would like to donate your skills or funds to help speed up these projects, please PM here or email> softdistortions at hotmail.com
Funds may be donated via paypal to collabunlimited at hotmail.com
==================
thx to all for your support.

softdistortion
08-09-2010, 06:06 PM
*BUMP*
Still looking for a modeler on this.

==================

We're looking for people that are into CG/VFX/FILM/SOUND to add to the group-
growing our own indie Film/VFX/CG production team that will rock the world...or atleast our own backyards.

==================
If you would like to donate your skills or funds to help speed up these projects, please PM here or email> softdistortions at hotmail.com
Funds may be donated via paypal to collabunlimited at hotmail.comr own backyards. [/COLOR]

softdistortion
08-14-2010, 07:43 PM

As some may have noticed, Collabunlimited.net has undergone a major re-purpose, and will continue to be adjusted to fit what seems to be working, or not working.

Summer 2010 sees collabunlimited.net becoming the focal point of all pre, mid and post production being done on the VFX projects that have been in development since early 2009.

Another Change>
So far we haven't been actively seeking financial supporters but that will now be changing. We need more funds than currently available to move the projects forward and complete at a pro level. Also I want to pay the artists that work on this some fees even if it is only small one for now.

This fits the original goal of getting people experience at paying work to go along with an addition to their portfolio.

One way we hope to generate funds is by offering membership subscription to the team site. As it sits the membership structure is as outlined below>

TEAM membership is our top level with access to everything on the site.

Supporter membership is a premium subscription level with access to select behind the scene info on the how and what of production.

Extended membership is a Premium Plus subscription level with access to all our behind the scene info on production. It grants various perks including access to artists working on the site and select access to some of the project files being used in the productions.

*Later in 2011 this may include access to our full resolution 4k HD Red One footage files- Motion tracked files for CG apps etc...

I see these subscription memberships possibly being of interest to people who would like casual access to behind the scenes activity on the teams but don`t want to be directly involved. For individuals actively expanding their CG experience, it may also turn out to be a supplement to other training they are getting at sites like FXphd, Gnomon online and the like.

Most of all, it's an option that gives project supporters and the team an ongoing benefit!

softdistortion
08-16-2010, 08:09 PM

Added a dropbox to upload sounds.
Now anyone who has original sound FX ideas to contribute can do so.

Go to www.collabunlimited.net and look for the SFX dropbox button in the bottom of the right column.

Send your sound clips with a descriptive title like "explosion_muffled" etc, so we know what they are for.

=============================

Added a new suppport banner at the bottom of the mainpage at www.collabunlimited.net.

It's another support option for anyone interested in helping fund the projects.
Collabunlimited or softdistortion Tshirts for support of $100 or more.

Make sure you include your mail address, which logo print you want and the size (L and XL only atm)

thx :wavey:
sd

softdistortion
08-19-2010, 08:36 PM
If you guys notice odd posts and activity/outages on the collabunlimited.net team site, it's getting some work done on it and should be back to normal in a day or 2 ...I hope. :argh:

softdistortion
08-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Everything is back in order at the team site!

Code updates are done, and a few user interface items were adjusted too.
Adjusted group forum- "new post" button and the text editor access are now much nicer to use. :wip:

softdistortion
08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Hello all team members at our collabunlimited.net project site.
We've finished a few user interface updates and would like to keep expanding our use of the sites functions.

To help accomplish this here are few things you can help with>

1-PROFILES- complete your profile info and upload a photo of yourself.
Here's how:
Go to your account page and look for the "Upload Profile Pic" link in the sub menu.
Click the link and follow the directions to upload a pic. Click make primary and you're done!

2- UPLOAD any videos or music, sound fx work you have done
Here's how:
Click on the main menu "VIDEOS" link.
Click on the submenu "Upload Video" link.
Click the upload agreement.
The video Loader panel will open up- here you choose your video to upload and add all the title, tags, description info you want.

*Also here you can edit your video info on multiple files.

The steps for uploading photos and music are the same as above. Just click on menu for "PHOTOS" or "MUSIC" and follow the steps.

3- JOURNAL- You also have a journal/blog you can use to keep info on your projects etc.
Here's how:
*Click the main menu "BLOGS" link.
Click the submenu "My Blog" link.
You will see a message "PLEASE CREATE A BLOG" and below that the Actions bar and a "Create My Blog" link- Click that link.
Now write a description for your blog ( you can edit it later if need be) and click the "Create Blog" button.
You will be taken to your blog page where you can click on the submenu "Add Post" link to enter your blog posts.

*Notice too, that you can edit and add categories to organize various topics for your blog.

If you need any assistance or have any issues with something not working, please let me know and I'll try to sort it for you!
email> softdistortions at hotmail.com

Thanks to all of you for your support!
sd

PS: Please check your junk mail and mark collabunlimited mails as NOT JUNK. otherwise you will miss any messages regarding forum updates, site news, and fellow team members trying to contact you. :wip:

softdistortion
08-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Forgot to mention, many of our pages have RSS feed buttons!
Group forums for example have an RSS that can be sent anywhere as a promo or to track the progress.
So... say you use Twitter and you want to help promote the projects and your work on them via your tweets. It would be a pain to have to copy paste from the forum to Twitter.

So use a service like Twitterfeed and collect the RSS feeds from collabunlimited.net group forums and TWeet them for you automagically.

Now every time there's a new post on a team forum you're Twitterfeeding from, the info and a link goes out on Twitter.... easy peasy like. :applause:

iinSaane
09-02-2010, 02:06 AM
I appreciate what your doing here :)
I'm 16 and I would like to expand my knowledge throughout many programs/plugins like
3ds Max 2011, Unity 3D, FumeFX, AfterBurn, Krakatoa.

Please email me your website which is purely about colabs :)
iinSane_pRoductions@yahoo.com

iinSaane
09-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Nice job :)
I admire this and would like to join
which website do I go to?
Thank you :)

softdistortion
09-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks, email is in the works. ;)

As far as what site to go to> www.collabunlimited.net (http://collabunlimited.net/network/?idFriend=1)

collabunlimited.net is our projects and teams network site .

You can get a free membership with limited site access by using THIS (http://collabunlimited.net/network/?idFriend=1)authorized link and then registering.
*Going directly to the site by typing collabunlimited.net will not allow you to register

For extended site access you need to either be approved as a team member our become a subscribing supporter...subscription options are available in your membership account panel.

I'll email you re team membership.
==================

softdistortion
09-03-2010, 03:33 PM
MORE SUBSCRIPTION INFO> HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/news/-)

softdistortion
09-03-2010, 03:34 PM
DOMAIN CHANGES
As some may know, we've recently re-purposed the collab sites. What you may not know is we are currently in the process of changing domain addresses to fit the new purpose/goals of each site.

In the next few days, collabunlimited.com and collabunlimited.net will both take visitors to the team network site.

The site that is currently @ collabunlimited.com was re-purposed for news interviews and collab-centric info and intelligence. The new domain for this site will become collabnews.com.

iinSaane
09-04-2010, 09:12 AM
I signed up at your website :)
awaiting for your reply.

softdistortion
09-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Eric, I tried your email...did you get a message?
Can you please email me at softdistortions at hotmail.com, PM box is getting full. :)

iinSaane
09-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Eric, I tried your email...did you get a message?
Can you please email me at softdistortions at hotmail.com, PM box is getting full. :)

Did you email me at iinSane_pRoductions@yahoo.com?
If so I didn't recieve anything :(

but I will email you now don worry ;)

softdistortion
09-08-2010, 06:50 PM

collabunlimited.com (http://www.collabunlimited.net/network) and collabunlimited.net (http://www.collabunlimited.net/network) are now unified to the collab team network site.

==============

Our new domain collabnews.com (http://collabnews.com) is now housing the collaboration news and interviews site.

I hope to have a fresh interview up soon with Novos movie Director Jonathan Brebner. In the meantime you can get info on the project at their main site HERE (http://novosfilm.wordpress.com/)

softdistortion
09-09-2010, 08:47 PM
ADDED nutrients and stuffs up at COLLABUNLIMITED (http://collabunlimited.net/network) >

Group Updates with new SFX clips by Mikkel. :applause:

MORE BIGGER members image gallery!

MORE COOLER groups image lightbox gallery!

Re-deranged mainpage layout... :wip: :wip: :wip:

HOWTO HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/topic/Adding-Classifieds.htm#topic/Adding-Classifieds.htm) video showing how to add job listings in the classifieds section.

**The last item tries to implement something like the idea Kirt mentioned in his post HERE (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5567303&postcount=66) way back when the site was being designed.

"What I think would be more ideal is some sort of system that would allow members to browse the ideas, assets and needs of individual projects then select the item of interest that the user feels that they could contribute to. "

MORE HOWTO vids coming sooon!

==============

In case anyone was following, we weren't ignoring iinSaane's last message>

Nice job :)
I admire this and would like to join
which website do I go to?
Thank you :)

After a few emails it came clear he was really looking for gaming oriented experience....We found him a good home that fit what he needed.

Last email transmission>>> "Thanks so much! I found a team and i will be animating for them :)"

Always happy to help out a fellow collaber.
All the best on your adventures Eric :buttrock:

TheCaveman
09-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Awesome to see that collabunlimited is still alive and kicking!!

keep it up. following up close and hope to be able to help a hand soon. been too long since
:beer: cheers

Jozef

softdistortion
09-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Yep, still kikin around. :)

softdistortion
09-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Added organized sections to house some of the VFX related clips we have had over the last year+

VFX01 location footage (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/topic/Location-test-footage-VFX01.htm)

VFX02 location scouting footage (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/topic/Locations-1-3.htm)

MatchMove Tracking (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/topic/Tracking.htm)

HDRI IBL GI domes (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/topic/HDR-domes-footage.htm)

Simulations/ HadrBody (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/topic/Pillar-impact-simulations.htm)

Texturing (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/topic/Texturing.htm)

softdistortion
09-30-2010, 12:49 PM
We're opening up the classified section to everyone who is looking for assistance or wants to offer it. You don't even have to register to use it...just click on the top menu CLASSIFIEDS> Add Classified submenu. Free collab ads for everyone!
HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/news/-FREE-CLASSIFIED-ADS-)

softdistortion
10-01-2010, 03:50 AM

softdistortion
10-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Just noticed 3DWorld's article "Land that killer job" tip #8 gives a nod to the collab forums here @ CGS!

The artist qouted recomended taking part in a collab project as one way in to the industry.

Wonder if people will see this and come round to volunteer? :)

softdistortion
11-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Our collabunlimited.com server was having speed and connection issues (mainly FTP) again, and the provider was putting filesize restriction on us that were crazy for what we were paying.

Resolution: collabunlimited is on a new server. No filesize limits and it feels snappier loading pages too. Hope it lasts :wip:

If anyone has issues let me know here or email so I can see if I missed something.

thx
sd

softdistortion
12-01-2010, 03:03 PM
A NEW 3D model PAYING job has been added HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/ads/entry/manipulator-arm-model) collabunlimited.com

http://www.collabunlimited.net/network/media/images/sharingImages/42.jpg

We know it's worth more, so please don't critical leave comments about the amount of work versus the fee offered.

When the site gains more support, we will put it into this project and the people who work on it.... ie, possibly you!

Knowing all of that, if you want to be a part of the project make a few $$ and get a top quality portfolio piece, then this may be for you.

**All new classifieds can be seen at collabunlimited.com (http://collabunlimited.com) in the lower right box

Just a quick reminder**

We opened up the classified section to everyone who is looking for assistance or wants to offer it. You don't even have to register to use it...just click on the top menu CLASSIFIEDS> Add Classified submenu. Free collab ads for everyone!

We're opening up the classified section to everyone who is looking for assistance or wants to offer it.

You don't even have to register to use it...just click on the top menu CLASSIFIEDS> Add Classified submenu.

HOW TO VIDEO _ CLICK HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/topic/Adding-Classifieds.htm)

softdistortion
12-08-2010, 01:01 PM
The Manipulator job is completed!

http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/gallery/RobotArms_Render_002.jpg

The control end of a remote manipulator armature (image below) is a practical prop that an actor shot on greenscreen will be moving.
The other end with the grabber will be the CG model seen in the image above.

http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/gallery/remote_manipulator_prop.jpg

More to come.

softdistortion
01-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Added some thoughts on Cameron's blast of the upcoming film based on the board game "BATTLESHIP"> HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/blogs/entry/James-Cameron-Blasts-Battleship)

Why I think this type of thing is good news for Filmaking in general, and how independent film makers can get set to succeed!

Comments at the site are open, so leave any constructive thoughts you have on the subject.

softdistortion
02-04-2011, 04:35 AM
Added a viewer question reply regarding 3D tracking and motion blur.
HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/blogs/entry/Viewer-question)

softdistortion
02-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Rob Odea has joined the site as one of our Tracking GURUS and has been kind enough to offer a WIP THREAD (http://collabunlimited.net/network/blogs/posts/RobODea) documenting his work on the shots he's tracking.

You likely already know 3D tracking is a crucial skill for CG/VFX artists.
Check out the WIPS Rob will be posting at the site and get INSIDER PRO tips on how to handle challenging shots we're doing!> collabunlimited.com (www.collabunlimited.com)

JOIN the site for FREE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/join.php) and get even DEEPER updates with our VFX insider newsletter.

This is a MUST for anyone doing micro budget CG film projects or any related high tech visual DIY SIGN UP NOW! (http://collabunlimited.net/network/join.php)

softdistortion
02-06-2011, 12:53 AM
For a limited time, we've opened up membership sign-up at collabunlimited to the public.

There's a new tutorial on how to join for anyone that needs it. HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/topic/Registration-HowTo.htm#topic/Registration-HowTo.htm)

softdistortion
02-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Added another new members tutorial on how easy it is to add your custom profile avatar image.> HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/topic/Registration-HowTo.htm#topic/Registration-HowTo.htm)

Showing who you are helps build a friendly spirit by letting people recognize you and see some of your personality behind the scenes.

Upload a pic of you doing what you do best, be that taking cool pics shooting movies or posing for a celeb photo with your walk of fame star!

softdistortion
02-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Added another new members tutorial on how easy it is to add a journal/blog and post anything you want to share or store- your latest WIPs -project updates or your fave info and links? .> HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/topic/Registration-HowTo.htm#topic/Registration-HowTo.htm)

softdistortion
02-17-2011, 12:08 PM

softdistortion
02-23-2011, 03:09 PM
http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/gallery/IMGA0069.jpg
Some info on a pretty useful reference book I'm using for creature designs for the ice planet scenes in our vfx project that is now becoming an SCIFI MOVIE EPIC .HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/blogs/entry/Micro-Monsters-By-Tom-Jackson)
@ collabunlimited in mah blog/JOURNAL.
I'll add some more pics soonish... for team or support members only! :wip:

+++

Also added some info I think fits pretty accurate to the division of work skills we saw from our laborious mocap adventure...Dan said it better than me, plus I got no time to do more writing!!
So quoted his info> HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/blogs/entry/Division-of-MOCAP-pipeline-)

softdistortion
02-28-2011, 07:52 PM

softdistortion
03-13-2011, 08:58 PM

softdistortion
06-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Added a site HOWTO vid on posting to groups with video embeds HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/topic/Gorups-HOWTO-post-with-video-embeds.htm)
It's blistering fast...was rushing, so apologies if required. :)

All the site FAQS can be found HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/groups/forum/forum/Collabunlimited-Members-FAQ-and-HOWTO-group-0.htm)

softdistortion
06-02-2011, 09:17 PM

softdistortion
06-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Been getting asked about files for tracking practice and just had another request, so finally got something setup for download at the collabsite.

I've been sharing our HD clips with Victor Wolansky at FXPhd.com for his advanced tracking classes.Now you can get them even if you don't take the classes

Will try to do a few more in the coming days if possible.

You need to sign up as a member for access HERE (http://collabunlimited.com/)

File is on this page> HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/asharing.php?action=show&id=28)

TRACKING CHALLENGES:

- No lens info
- Rolling shutter
- Blur
- Pillar occluding trackers

http://www.collabunlimited.net/network/groups/gallery/collabunlimited_factory_9503_promo.jpg

Let me know if you have issues.
sd

-------
Please let us see how you make out with tracking these.

More to come!

AbsorbentGhost
06-11-2011, 01:39 AM
i requested some video footage,he produces hi res image sequence ready for use.really good guy.

Been getting asked about files for tracking practice and just had another request, so finally got something setup for download at the collabsite.

I've been sharing our HD clips with Victor Wolansky at FXPhd.com for his advanced tracking classes.Now you can get them even if you don't take the classes

Will try to do a few more in the coming days if possible.

You need to sign up as a member for access HERE (http://collabunlimited.com/)

File is on this page> HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/asharing.php?action=show&id=28)

TRACKING CHALLENGES:

- No lens info
- Rolling shutter
- Blur
- Pillar occluding trackers

Let me know if you have issues.
sd

-------
Please let us see how you make out with tracking these.

More to come!

softdistortion
06-14-2011, 11:16 AM
thanks for the plug AG! :)

Anyone else can grab the files too (see info above on how)
Let me know what els you guys might lke to see.

For ex.
We have some really challenging tracking fotage files with HDR panos from productions HD 1080p. < might put these up soon anyways on the collabsite as a production style challenge, so either way, make requests or keep and eye open for when the go live. :thumbsup:

softdistortion
06-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Just uploaded aother HD clip for tracking practice. HERE (http://collabunlimited.net/network/asharing.php?action=show&id=30)

This is 1080p HD footage for a collabunlimited Identity advertisement.

http://collabunlimited.net/network/media/images/sharingImages/57.jpg

The challenges:

No Lens info
Rolling shutter
No survey shots
Defocusing
Check the README text file if you want some suggestions for the clip.

There is a 12k res HDR dome we can upload if there is interest in using it for IBL.

To get all access register @ www.collabunlimited.com

softdistortion
08-16-2011, 02:39 PM
http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/184/684/184684471_200.jpg (http://collabunlimited.com)

Prof. Victor Wolansky is putting his tracking classes at FXPhd.com through their paces again this term with some of our footage also being used. :applause:

These are from an HD set inside an abandoned factory we managed to get access to.

Front paged @ collabunlimited (http://collabunlimited.com)

I've been meaning to get these together with their HDR domes for people to get the set and do cg integration.. it's just taken forever to get to it! :)

ULtra KUDOS to Rob O'Dea for his great job in PFTrack :buttrock:

softdistortion
10-10-2011, 08:18 PM

Zeicon
10-17-2011, 11:42 AM
The link to the DEADWAIT screenplay is dead. Not sure if it was taken down purposely.

softdistortion
10-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi Zeicon, script is being revise after our las feedbackk....will be looking for more feeback so if you are still interested, email softdistortions AT hotmail.com an we'll keep you on the reader list.
thx

softdistortion
10-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Another team project has joined, and we now have only 1 server slot open in the sandbox for projects requiring massive file access/storage/management.

OFFERED FREE to projects with a superior visual aesthetic and great team vibe.

Unlike many other online services, you don't have to keep juggling files to stay within a limit. We have capacity you will not likely fill, so your project files can stay on the server until you are done your project.

The teams already using the service have been a great help to establish some working guidlines for files organization that we're happy to share with you to help keep your project running smoothly.

Thanks for your support of the collaborative spirit! :buttrock:

softdistortion
10-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Main site server for collabunlimited will be getting maintenance.

FTP is unaffected

softdistortion
10-27-2011, 06:21 PM
If you're joining us @ Collabunlimited (http://collabunlimited.net/network/?idFriend=1) , please email or PM so we know who you are.

We have spammers trying to register, so anyone we don't know will have low or no access to the site until we know they are legit.

obiwandk
10-29-2011, 06:24 AM
is a newbie 3d artist but my main hobby is sound design maybe some on on the collab united
could use that
my music is on my youtube

jojo1975
10-30-2011, 12:15 PM
do you need modellers ;) ?

obiwandk
10-30-2011, 12:19 PM
more the other way around offering scoring for shorts show reels etc ofc in all legal versions

softdistortion
11-01-2011, 01:44 AM
The more the merrier. :)
Surf to COLLAB UNLIMITED (http://collabunlimited.net/network/?idFriend=1) and use the "Join Now" link top right of mainpage.
see you there. ;)

obiwandk
11-01-2011, 08:08 AM
cool place, really is gonna get me a subscription asap. when i can afford it.
Do i need a subscription, or to be on the forums and blogs.
ps new tune up (http://youtu.be/aMU7-ybDGQI)

softdistortion
11-02-2011, 12:04 AM
obiwandk- You don't need to buy a subscription unless you want to do something extr to help us out @ collabunlimited.

The support subscriptions are a way to let people support the site and the projects working there.

The option to upgrade to Support membership is always available in your account page. It's only $5/month or $50/yr and gives you some extras that none of the other memberships get...including a T shirt give away coming up for random members who are supporting the site via the suppot sub. :buttrock:

Any artist can join collabunlimited free of charge by using THIS LINK (http://collabunlimited.com) and clicking Join Now at the top of the main page. Keep in mind we need to know a bit about new members - that they're legit artists, so include some links to your work, artist related forum posts etc.

**If you use a name other than the one you use here let us know what it is so we can upgrade you to explorer level membership**

obiwandk
11-02-2011, 05:23 AM
well i been linking a couple of tunes here so and my name on collab is obiwandk

softdistortion
11-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Cool!

Upgraded obiwandk at collabunlimited. :thumbsup:

softdistortion
11-22-2011, 02:20 PM
For the artists who have recently joined or are planning to join us @ Collabunlimited (http://collabunlimited.net/network/?idFriend=1)>>>

Members who give no indication of who they are or what they do will get STANDARD memberships with low or no access to most areas of the site.

To move to higher membership please email or PM with some info/links/website on your work so we know who you are.

================

WE WANT YOU!!>>>

If you have a team doing animated or especially live action scifi film and you would like to join a growing high quality network of similar artists @ COLLABUNLIMITED (http://collabunlimited.com) . PM or email

================

Our latest expansion into providing teams with file server space has been working SUPER GOOD!! thx to all who have helped kik it into gear. :applause:

sooo...We're once again offering 2 FREE server slots for projects requiring massive file storage/management...lets face it if you are shooting HD and comping anything, this is you!

OFFERED FREE to projects with a superior visual aesthetic and great team vibe.

Spread the word and help us help other quality artists! :wip:

softdistortion
12-12-2011, 03:32 PM
HEADS UP for all collabunlimited members

Based on feedback and usage patterns Version 2 of Collabunlimited.com will be undergoing some modifications over the next few weeks.

Services should continue uninterrupted for teams using the site. If that changes I'll post updates here.

**FTP will not be affected.

Questions, comments and concerns- email collabunlimited@hotmail.com

Thanks to all of you who gave us feedback on what you want updated on the site! :buttrock:
================
http://collabunlimited.net/media01/PROMO/forum-banner-collabunlimited-Kitty.gif (http://collabunlimited.com/network/join.php)

gonkdroid
12-13-2011, 02:10 AM
lean & mean is the key.

like the threatened kitty banner.

softdistortion
12-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks Tobin!

UPDATES>
If you were on a team forum you will be getting added to the new forum, so expect a confirmation email.

Please DO NOT login and start posting until we announce the board as OPEN.

thx

softdistortion
12-21-2011, 05:37 PM
The forum is open for team access.

Team leaders and members should be able to start threads as required.

Your passwords are the same as what you use @ collabunlimited's mainsite.

Your passwords were transferred between databases as encrypted data- We did not read your passwords, so do not worry about it if you used the same pass somewhere else...but you know you should NOT use one password on multiple sites for security reasons...right?? :).

Any issues PM or email me. :buttrock:

softdistortion
01-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Some inspirational stuff posted> ::JUMP POINT:: (http://collabunlimited.net/forum01/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20&p=44#p44)

softdistortion
01-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Team Forums Group Messaging HOWTO vid > ::JUMP POINT:: (http://collabunlimited.net/forum01/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22)

softdistortion
01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Gonkdroid posted some cool vids for a scifi teaser directed by Master Creature designer Aaron Sims>
::JUMP POINT:: (http://collabunlimited.net/forum01/viewtopic.php?t=7&p=86#p86)

softdistortion
02-07-2012, 09:03 PM
A while back there was a film director who posted here in panic mode because he had only a week left to finish his film. He was looking for VFX help on a face replacement shot.

His post here was deleted due to the rules...that aside...one of our interns working with us at softdistortion.com did the job --- you can have a look at the final shot as well as the tutorial Brianna made to show how she did the tracking and replacement. :buttrock: TUTORIAL ::JUMP POINT:: (http://collabunlimited.com/network/blogs/entry/Face-Replacement-Tutorial)

softdistortion
02-08-2012, 05:57 PM
http://collabunlimited.com/PROMO/collab_newLogo_posts.jpg (http://collabunlimited.com/network)
======================

Version 2 of Collabunlimited (http://collabunlimited.com) is open and we're inviting new artist members.

The site is continually evolving and we want you to help shape it into a very cool and hip place to hang out and share with other skilled, helpful and friendly artists.

JOIN HERE (http://collabunlimited.com/network/join.php)

NEWS LETTER sub here (http://collabunlimited.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=e612282907acac0409f8c60c1&id=ca9b980e08)

softdistortion
02-18-2012, 04:51 PM
http://collabunlimited.com/PROMO/collab_newLogo_posts.jpg (http://collabunlimited.com/network)
======================
We've installed a new text editor at collabunlimited.com!

If you experience odd results, you may need to clear your browser's cache to get it working properly.

Any issues please feel free to contact us and let us know what's up. Your feedback and input is helping us make the site better and better with every step!

thx

softdistortion
03-05-2012, 02:50 PM

softdistortion
03-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Things are picking up and we have some great new members and projects coming in each day!

Recent addition is BATESIAN (http://collabunlimited.com/network/modules/boonex/blogs/blogs.php?action=show_member_blog&ownerID=19). Mattias has posted lots of info about the film team and how they have made collaborative film making their focal point for this cool scifi film.

The story revolves around tech that allows people to sell skills they posses by transferring them into another persons mind.

Check out Matthias' blog and their project site BATESIAN (http://collabunlimited.com/network/modules/boonex/blogs/blogs.php?action=show_member_blog&ownerID=19)

AbsorbentGhost
03-22-2012, 06:25 PM
I joined the site but can't seem to view most post made or comment.What must be done so i can Participate?what exactly can we do on this site?How can i participate?Please tell me about your web site and it's uses.

softdistortion
03-22-2012, 09:37 PM
======================

Thanks for your interest!

> I joined the site but can't seem to view most post made or comment.What must be done so i can Participate?

**Memberships are manually approved, so please allow 1-3 days before full site access is available.

This is version 2 of the site and we're still in a soft deploy of the platform adding members to our database Not all portions are open yet you can add your profile info and "TAGS" that describe your skills and interests so people looking for artists like you can find you in their member search.

>what exactly can we do on this site?

You can advertise your projects and skills to find others to work with on your project or be found by them to work on their projects. *Only high quality. credible projects by experienced artist members are added to collabunlimited that means we have a better chance at finding a project that will progress.

We are slowly adding individual group sections for projects. These each have an independant froum for the members of that group. Group leaders set who can join.

Each member has a blog/Journal. The posts in these journals are added on the site frontpage for all to see.

Also there is some info on the Join Page Sidebar (http://collabunlimited.com/network/join.php) , but I'll copy paste it here for all>

"This is your chance to Join our growing connective of artists, concept, fantasy, CG / 3D, sci-fi, indie film teams and projects.

Our membership spans the globe with artists working directly with film makers like James Cameron, Guillermo Del Toro, and Neill Blomkamp- on movies including Avatar, World War Z, John Carter, and District 9.

We connect at collabunlimted to work and share on our and other artists indie projects.

*Please remember to use a personal photo of yourself for your profile image and add links to your work if you have em.

**Memberships are manually approved, so please allow 1-3 days before full site access is available.

***Registration with no "real" info or profile photo will be deleted."

Collabunlimited newsletter>
http://www.collabunlimited.com/PROMO/animatedBOT_newsletter_01.gif (http://www.collabunlimited.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=e612282907acac0409f8c60c1&id=ca9b980e08)

softdistortion
03-28-2012, 02:38 PM
"For Hire" is one of the film projects supported at Collabunlimited (http://collabunlimited.com) .
Team leader Filofilm is doing a headcount and seems ready to re-gear.

Lend your support by letting them know you like their film and want to see it complete! :buttrock: :buttrock:

GO HERE FOR CGS THREAD (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=7226630#post7226630)

softdistortion
04-13-2012, 07:32 PM
We need more artists to keep collabunlimited growing and active...If you are into 3D, CG, VFX...Join and share @ collabunlimited (http://collabunlimited.com/network/join.php) :wip: :wip:

softdistortion
05-01-2012, 07:41 PM
The very generous people at our server company have donated an extension to collabunlimited's FILESERVER for 3 more months!!

The expiration date of our dedicated file server is now 2012-07-30 09:41:04.

***If you are running an online project that requires more server space and transfer limits than you can afford, we're donating FREE fileserver access.***

Send us your details and we'll be in touch! :wip: :wip:

softdistortion
05-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Collabunlimited NOW has a NEW public forum to allow anyone interested in our main projects to access and have a share if you'd like! ::JUMP POINT:: (http://collabunlimited.com/network/forum/)

We've had a pro forum for teams @ collabulimited for a while now, and you can still make use of it if you have a project that needs the added benefits of a private forum with MEGA FILESERVER access. Just PM or email. :thumbsup:

softdistortion
05-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Please expect some service interruptions while we move all our sites to a bigger server.
thx
sd

softdistortion
06-04-2012, 04:12 AM
All sites are back online and working a bit snappier now...apologies for the wait!

softdistortion
08-10-2012, 05:04 PM
======================
Everyone seems to have faded here and abroad, however, COLLABUNLIMITED is still alive!!

We've all been pretty busy with other work, but I'm hoping to get back to putting some BTS, tips and freebies up this fall and hoping others will do the same.

If anyone has suggestions for what you would like to see, let us know! :buttrock:

======================

Here's an example of some of the work we're doing together @ collabunlimited. We're working together to do VFX films.

http://collabunlimited.com/network/m/photos/get_image/original/2e652d368fac44f70b60802de7e6ea53.jpg

Thx Fabrizio and Chris for helping move this closer to completion!

Join us at collabunlimited.com (http://collabunlimited.com) and get more info and tips on this and other CG and VFX professional's projects.

Or join the newsletter>
http://www.collabunlimited.com/PROMO/animatedBOT_newsletter_01.gif (http://www.collabunlimited.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=e612282907acac0409f8c60c1&id=ca9b980e08)

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2012, 05:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.