PDA

View Full Version : Version 3 and MorphBlender

dustin1138
02-21-2008, 07:44 AM
I saw the video of the new version of MorphBlender with v3. It's great to see that it's reading in endomorphs (better than super_Blender did I'm guessing since it now seems to be missing from the effects list in the video).

My question is this: can we load in motion files for these moprhs? Ideally it would be perfect to read in Lightwave morph mixer files. I know that super_Blender did this but with so-so results. Is this now an option with v3?

Wegg
02-22-2008, 09:55 PM
No I don't think it can do that. :-/ If your going to animate in Lightwave to render in Messiah you'd probably be better off going with Point Oven. No?

dustin1138
02-23-2008, 06:45 PM
It's more complicated than that. I'm using Messiah for animation only. Rendering in Lightwave. But the complication comes from the fact that I prefer to do my lipsync with Magpie. I have a working pipeline but I was hoping to streamline it with an improved import feature.

Here's my current pipeline: lipsync with Magpie. Export to Messiah in morphGizmo format. Animate in Messiah as well as using LW endomorphs (brows & eyes) in Messiah. Once completed, I REMOVE the morhGizmo and shift to LW. I re-import the lipsync into LW with the morphMixer export from Magpie. Light & render.

I use the morphGizmo lipsync only as a reference. I have to yank it because of a major limitation with it. If you ever go into a negative value on a morph, it breaks it. The points tend to go off in strange directions. So, I'm limited to using it only as reference.

Being able to import/export motion files in Messiah would be a great feature IMHO.

Wegg
02-23-2008, 10:06 PM
If I made a video showing you how to lip sync in Messiah itself, would you find that helpful? I know your probably used to Magpie but I evaluated it a few years back and compared to what you can do in Messiah. . . its pretty limited.

Ejecta
02-24-2008, 12:46 AM
If I made a video showing you how to lip sync in Messiah itself, would you find that helpful? I know your probably used to Magpie but I evaluated it a few years back and compared to what you can do in Messiah. . . its pretty limited.

I completely agree. Magpie while good for fast lip sync it doesnt look very good compared what you can do in messiah with a good face rig and poses for phonemes. In mesiah or any package for that matter it's just as fast that way and you can go back in if you have the time to get more character into the movement of the lips so thats its not so linear.

dustin1138
02-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Sure. I'd love to see a comparison/contrast between Messiah & Magpie. If I felt Messiah could match the features I use in Magpie, I'd be happy to remove Magpie from my pipeline.

What Magpie offers me currently is the ability to view a group of morph shapes and view them all currently in the timeline & graph editor and adjust them as I go. For example, I have roughly 20 mouth shapes. If I could have the sliders in the main viewport and all 20 morphs visible in the graph below (1 active with the others visible in a different color, or something similar) along with the ability to make quick adjustments to any of the keys while still keeping the others visible then I'd be interested.

As it stands now, I can't find a way to show more than one endomorph at a time in the graph editor.

kursad_pileksuz
02-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Joe Cosman explains lip sync in Messiah one of his tutorial dvds.

Ejecta
02-24-2008, 02:09 AM
Sure. I'd love to see a comparison/contrast between Messiah & Magpie. If I felt Messiah could match the features I use in Magpie, I'd be happy to remove Magpie from my pipeline.

What Magpie offers me currently is the ability to view a group of morph shapes and view them all currently in the timeline & graph editor and adjust them as I go. For example, I have roughly 20 mouth shapes. If I could have the sliders in the main viewport and all 20 morphs visible in the graph below (1 active with the others visible in a different color, or something similar) along with the ability to make quick adjustments to any of the keys while still keeping the others visible then I'd be interested.

As it stands now, I can't find a way to show more than one endomorph at a time in the graph editor.

True to an extent but using a mouth rig with saved poses that you can call up in the blocking stage then key a mouth group all at once is just as good. Also I found when we used to use magpie that you really couldnt get a good feel of what you were going for in the performance by doing facial animation in LW then jumping to magpie for lip sync and not getting to see the facil performance. When you use a good facial rig you can do your lip sync while still being able to see the work you did with the facial expressions and then make tweaks either in the sync or face to push the performace further. What I guess Im saying using magpie causes a disconnect in the process of getting good animation IMHO.

Parsec3d
02-24-2008, 04:06 AM
well you can always use maggpie just to print out the basic blocking u will need..

catizone
02-24-2008, 12:36 PM
That's what I do. I always liked the fact that I could assign keys to the shapes, and count the track, assigning "letters" as I go...and then print out those sheets as sound counts.

I still use only the very early version of Magpie...it is much less cluttered for what I use it for. Long ago, I did use it to link the morph targets, but now prefer just using it to count the track and guide my work.

Another option is to use Flipbook. Load your track, and as you count thru it, you can assign premade mouth images ( a very basic set) or make your own, and you can also print that out.

Best,
Rick

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2008, 12:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.