PDA

View Full Version : On the horizon...

Ulven
02-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Seeing as how we haven't had enough tech related announcements today, I just wanted to share with you guys something that's coming up on the third party front.
We have several developments going on here at useful slug at the moment, some of them are so secret that even I don't know what they are! (no that's not really true, I think). I can't say for sure when this will surface yet as it depends on how much development time I can squeese in between animation jobs but we'll see, it's going relatively quickly so far.
Anyway, here's something that's ready enough that I feel confident showing it at a development stage:

http://www.usefulslug.com/development/Walker2.mov

As you can see from the video, it is a footsteps module for messiah.
Some of the intended features (some of which are complete, some of which are not):
-Automatically generate non slipping foot cycle for any rig, and any size character with varying stride length with only a very few minor limitations on foot setup.
-Ability to save/load walkcycles.
-Ability to tweak walkcycle with keyframes / sliders / expressions with dynamic updates so the animator has complete and utter control of the look of the walkcycle.
-Additive animation, so motion can be built on top of the walk without affecting the repeating motion.
-Complete control of timing as well as optional auto timing (auto timing not implemented yet).

Parsec3d
02-21-2008, 02:31 AM
.. aaa,, sweet!

My Fault
02-21-2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah, really fantastic job on that Ulven. That Saturday project has really turned in to something quite impressive!

Of course you know what I am waiting for..... :D

catizone
02-21-2008, 03:24 AM
Looks cool Ulven!

And what is Brian waiting for....???????

Best,
Rick

DMack
02-21-2008, 08:31 AM
I wish I was even 10% as technically competent as you!

THUR
02-21-2008, 09:42 AM
pushing things forward eeh
nice job, Vegard!

MarkInTx
02-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Ulven... I'm guessing you tested your auto-rigger in 3.0 and it works fine... yes?

StOuen
02-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Very cool. What with LW 9.5 announced, Messiah 3 and your rack of 3rd party sweet cakes I am in a state of optimistic bliss...

Ulven
02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks a lot guys :)

Yep the autorigger works fine in v3.

dobermunk
02-21-2008, 02:39 PM
...and dynPIP in pmG3!!!

Groove!

DMack
02-21-2008, 07:46 PM
They even called it DynaPIP - Yay!

stooch
02-21-2008, 08:41 PM
sounds great! ive gotten to like rigging in messiah where autorigging became less important but a foot step generator wold certainly peak my interest!

Ulven
02-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks a lot. Yeah, it's got some usefulness to it I think, especially because you will still have a great amount of control over the 'look' of the walkcycle, so it's not limiting to the animator if you want to expand on the motion. It's not so hot at sidestepping at the moment, but it is able to turn etc, and not just walk in straight lines like shown in this little demo.

Parsec3d
02-21-2008, 11:37 PM
mm how about curved paths???

Ulven
02-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Curved paths are fine.

MarkInTx
02-22-2008, 04:36 AM
Curved paths are fine.

Any ideas on a release date?

Ulven
02-22-2008, 04:42 AM
I'm afraid not, I'm pretty full up timewise right now. Hoping to get around to doing the next bit of programming this weekend. What's left is: interface, refinement of the calculation for when to take a step, autotiming. And then prefereably a good fix for his terrible lack of sidestepping ability :)

Wegg
02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Can't wait for this one. This is something I have been wishing for for a long long time. We had something similar to this in Animation Master but it wasn't nearly as advanced. Great work Vegard.

catizone
02-26-2008, 05:16 AM
Ulven,

You probably have this in mind, but one of the big adjusters I would like to have would be the ability to determine where the hips are in relation to the step. A faster, and/or more strident walk, would have the hips in advance and the body falling more in to the step.

Conversely, in a sneak, for example, the weight (hips) remain over the support leg until the other foot is planted, and then comes the transition to the other leg before the next step can start.

Maybe a slider that sets the hips for the cycle, with at least the possibility for 4 guiding keys to control them?

Thanks,
Rick

Ulven
02-26-2008, 01:56 PM
All you need to do to determine that in this plugin, is move the hips forward or back like you would normally.

catizone
02-26-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm not clear on that. Do you mean key the hips as one normally would...or set a parametr FOR the hips within the expression or other part of your setup?

Since it is math driven, seems like it is possible to assign a position regarding the advancement of the hips.

Sorry for my not getting what you were saying...

Best,
Rick

Ulven
02-26-2008, 02:30 PM
What I'm saying is, it's not only math driven. It takes from a walkcycle that you make from scratch, or tweak, the keys of that, and turns them into a parametric time, which it then uses to play through the animation at a speed which is determined by how far along a stride it is.
In effect, you get to define the look of your walkcycle with keyframes, while the plugin cycles through them as it moves along. So, if in the walkcycle, there are keyframes that are further back on the foot for the hip, that will be how it walks through the footsteps. Additionally, you can still key your character regularly, because the motion is additive.

Hope that explains it a bit better.

catizone
02-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks, it does. Sounds like it is both powerful and flexible!

I have been developing a kid vid, and hope to soon dive into the heart of it all. It will probably be me alone animating it because there is no budget at this point. So while I want a high quality, I am hoping to make use of any streamlining tools that will cut effort and not quality.

The additive part on the plug-in sounds good as well, as it will allow us to break the monotony of pure cyclic actions. Thanks.

Best,
Rick

peksi
03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
edit.. sorry folks

TylerAZambori
03-05-2008, 05:02 PM
See, I try to play nice too sometimes....

Ejecta
03-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Ulven, you have any update on the cartoony auto rigger?

Ulven
04-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Gawds it's hard to find time for everything isn't it? Finally got back to this and worked out the code for things like autotiming, basic step generation, better sidestepping, and better turning ability. There are still some problems to iron out but look:

http://www.usefulslug.com/development/Walker3.mov

Up stairs, round bends, different lengths and sidestep :wip: :bounce: :cool:

catizone
04-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Looking good! But then we knew it would....

Best,
Rick

Parsec3d
04-18-2008, 10:27 PM
AWESOME!!!

new challenge ,, 4 legs.. and a tail driven by dynamics :)

cool stuff,,, as soon as I leave brokenness I will get me a copy of the the auto rigger

MarkInTx
04-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Gawds it's hard to find time for everything isn't it? Finally got back to this and worked out the code for things like autotiming, basic step generation, better sidestepping, and better turning ability. There are still some problems to iron out but look:

http://www.usefulslug.com/development/Walker3.mov

Up stairs, round bends, different lengths and sidestep :wip: :bounce: :cool:

This is looking great, Ulven.

I hope it's coming out soon... otherwise we might need to give you the first annual "Biggest tease since Jessica Alba" Tease award ;-)

Ulven
04-18-2008, 10:45 PM
This is looking great, Ulven.

I hope it's coming out soon... otherwise we might need to give you the first annual "Biggest tease since Jessica Alba" Tease award ;-)

Haha, yeah, sorry it's taken so long. It always seem to do with development stuff, especially when squeezed between rigging and animation as well.

TylerAZambori
05-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Haha, yeah, sorry it's taken so long. It always seem to do with development stuff, especially when squeezed between rigging and animation as well.

so. like, when? http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Ulven
05-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Well I've just finished a long animation project so I'm going to work on it this week and see if I can finish it.
I've felt close to finishing it before though and various problems and ideas always seem to pop up that leaves me wanting to do more work on it before releasing it, restructuring etc.
A couple of days ago I had this idea of a whole different usability mode that I've implemented over yesterday and today. So the guesstimate on release of this project is somewhere between "any day now" and "when it's ready".

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2008, 02:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.