PDA

View Full Version : Newest HULK Trailer...

GRMac13
05-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Here it is guys, the latest installment in the Hulk trailer series. LOTS more shots of the CG Hulk in this one. Enjoy!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/the_hulk/trailer_5

vfx
05-02-2003, 10:16 AM
Another Trailer - geez they're really trying to win the public on this one. Still think he looks too cartoony - specially after seeing him on the big screen last night before x2!

BillB
05-02-2003, 11:29 AM
I feel like I've seen the entire movie by now. We have *so* got to start a backlash against this trend to huge trailers that leave you nothing to look forward to. I've taken to not watching them when they come on, once I've decided I'll see a film - which is usually about 15 seconds into the 2 minute trailer!

lildragon
05-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by vfx
Another Trailer - geez they're really trying to win the public on this one. Still think he looks too cartoony - specially after seeing him on the big screen last night before x2!

DO you know what films the Hulk is up against? Ok now re-read that statement :D The Hulk will surely have his hands full this summer. I thought last was good but now :surprised

:drool:

-lil

Vash T Stampede
05-02-2003, 01:05 PM
Jeah...But it's the Hulk, Man!!!

PANZER
05-02-2003, 02:11 PM
god!. that's hella cool... im not missing this. :eek: :D

John Lee
05-02-2003, 02:16 PM
OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!! WHAT can I say. I can't wait to see this baby!!!!

FloydBishop
05-02-2003, 02:32 PM
I think the shot near the end where he stands up, yells, and the water shoots off of his body is some of the best CG water stuff I've seen anywhere.

The only thing about these superhero movies that is upsetting is that they're all by different studios. Fox has X Men, Universal has the Hulk, and Sony has Spider-Man. The chance that we'll see a crossover movie is pretty slim.

Also, what about villians who occupy more than one comic title? Will they ever see the light of day, or will they be limited to only one hero's movies?

I'd love to see a fifteen minute, knock down, drag out fight between the Hulk and the Thing that takes place in New York (maybe Yancy street?).

Spider-Man vs Wolverine could be cool inthe movies as well.

Alright, my inner fanboy has shown itself too much...

Clanger
05-02-2003, 02:37 PM
This is the big one for me. As a kid the Hulk was my all time favourite comic by a mile. That's over 30 years ago now (yikes!) When the big Lou version came out what 20 years ago? I went out and bought my first video recorder, cost about the price of a reasonable 2nd hand car, just so I could see it over and over.

Can you imagine how difficult it must be to get the muscle system working convincingly on a character with such obvious muscles. Slight deformations under the skin is one thing but huge rippling muscles is another. Can't wait for the making of.

circle frame
05-02-2003, 02:57 PM
sorry, but I don't like that movie think it really sucks

RobertoOrtiz
05-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Cool trailer. I specially love the scene wit the "Comanches".

Looking forwar to the movie now.

Great work ILM.

-Roberto

ChewyPixels
05-02-2003, 04:01 PM
:drool: Damn, that is sweeeeet!!

TitaNiuM
05-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Looks very cool, although movies like this can definately go either way. We'll just have to see.

Here's a direct to the high quality file:

http://a772.g.akamai.net/5/772/51/47e39da0d71e41/1a1a1aaa2198c627970773d80669d84574a8d80d3cb12453c02589f25382f668c9329e0375e8178cfa63d93eb02384f01f93fb60bf279c0873/the_hulk-tlr5_m480.mov

edit: For some reason the url parser screws up the link. You'll have to copy/paste :hmm:

Book
05-02-2003, 04:31 PM
As a longtime comic (and Hulk) fan, I've worried about the treatment of the Hulk since a friend of mine working on it told me a year ago he'd seen shots and the hulk was at least 20 feet tall in them. I thought, uh-oh, here they go... losing the comic roots. But other trailers have gotten me more hopeful.

I don't like to comment on films before I see them in the theater, but a couple of shots got me worried. What's with that giant cat/dog thing?!! And that shot of Hulk doing a 3-5 frame run cycle (the one isoing the legs only from the side)?! Come on, he weighs at least a few tons and can leap miles at a time! Could he really move that fast? I hope they stay true to his character.

Still, glad to see this one hit the screen!

miketche
05-02-2003, 04:32 PM
I'm really looking forward to this movie as well. And I think the CGI on the Hulk is actually pretty good. What I think makes him look a little cartoony is the purple pants. I wish they could have done something more realistic for the pants. I mean who wears purple pants?

Pentagramma
05-02-2003, 04:40 PM
I mean who wears purple pants?

I did once, but it was a 70's theme party! ;)

I really enjoyed the trailer. Hulk looks amazing on it - I specially liked the shot with him on the street, looking up. Great lighting on it, too!

This film can be a serious hit - looking forward to it.

JohnD
05-02-2003, 04:42 PM
I'm with Clanger ( although I didn't buy a recorder for the tv series :p .
The Hulk was my fav too growing up, and I'm finally glad that technology has advanced to the point that the Hulk can be made to look how he should, insanely huge. Hats off to Lou and the others for the 70's series, but even as a kid I knew that the Hulk was much bigger, but due to technological limitations, it wasn't possible. As far as him looking too cartoony, well, I'm not sure how your gonna make a huge green giant based on fantasy blend 100% accurately with live footage. My two cents. It's gonna rock.:buttrock:

ChewyPixels
05-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Book
What's with that giant cat/dog thing?!! And that shot of Hulk doing a 3-5 frame run cycle (the one isoing the legs only from the side)?! Come on, he weighs at least a few tons and can leap miles at a time! Could he really move that fast? I hope they stay true to his character.

Those are supposed to be mutated dogs, sort of like a "hulkified" dog. I guess Hollywood felt they had to put something in there that would give Hulk something to battle against, besides the military. As for the Hulk's running ability, they wanted to give the Hulk super athletic abilities rather than have him lumber around slowly. This does go against the actual laws of physics, but then again, since when were big Hollywood films realistic.

Book
05-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Hmmm... "hulkified" dogs. Why didn't they just bring in the Abomination instead? In the third act introduce "the Hulk isn't alone... there's someone else even stronger"...

The thing I CAN'T WAIT for with all these great comic films... is the first cross-over. A cameo by Spidey or Wolverine in a Hulk film? I'd freak out!:bounce:

Must... revert... from... fan-boy... mode...

Tellerve
05-02-2003, 05:40 PM
chui1675-

I'm just glad you put that last caveat in there about Hollywood films realistic. Otherwise, well, actually I did start laughing when you said "this does go against the actual laws of physics". Hulk is completely against the laws of physics. Anyways, before people berrate me on this I know in the comics he was a bit slower so I get where people are coming from, even if it still sounds ludicrous to me sometimes.

As for the dogs/wolves/cats whatever, I'm finally glad people saw them. In the last trailer they had a quick shot of them and I was asking people what they thought those hulkified mastiffs were about but nobody apparently saw them.

I am not enough of a Hulk comic fan to know but I think they messed with the backstory as it seemed to me his dad was mister uber genetic manipulation guy and tweaked his own son, along with the house dogs to suit his needs. I'll to wait for late june to find out for sure I guess.

Tellerve

AVTPro
05-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Can wait to see him RUNNING...and, and JUMPING!!!.....AND AND THROWING THINGS!!! BIG THING!!!!

HHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEAAAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmcgrath
05-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Very cool, very cool indeed. I really liked the shot of the cars near the end. Only one was CG and even that was hard to tell.

eliseu gouveia
05-02-2003, 08:35 PM
Dayum!, thatīs one viciously wicked display of CG. :)

The purple pants will probably look silly in just about any alternate reality not ruled by Austin Powers, but them folks actually managed to make that HIDEOUS shade of green look good and that alone should earn them an oscar.
I guess I can live with the human features (instead of the Alex Rossībestial version that I initially favored) now that Iīve actually seen him acting.

My sole gripe?
That speed is gonna be hard swallowing for a guy who read the comic in his youth, but I guess it looks believable, yeah, sure... :shrug(hey, in my home planet we see giant green men outrunning Comanche choppers everyday, ja?:cool: :rolleyes: )
It makes for a more fluid action and thatīs always a good thing, I have a need, a need for speed.

After seeing their name dragged across the mud along with the SW double disaster, ILM is really trying to reconquer the flag from the likes of WETA, arenīt they?
Go for it, boyz, competition is nice and the public likes it :) .

malducin
05-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Well about the speed issue. We did see and accept a T-Rex running as fast as a jeep going, what? like 30 or 40 mph? And that was one big green dude too. It sure looks a bit funny though. Well I guess the reference to a 350 lbs linebacker kinda justifies it.

RormanKnockwell
05-03-2003, 04:43 AM
French poodle?

http://home.cfl.rr.com/locknar/Picture.jpg

ambient-whisper
05-03-2003, 05:18 AM
stupid quicktime on mac...... .looks soo much better than the one we get on windoze :( bet it works better on the mac too..:(

( and yeah trailer was neato :D

Joe2003
05-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Folks, the effects still aren't finished, and the Hulk is looking better and better with each new trailer. Dennis Muren said the effects won't be finished until the first of June!

As for the effects, at my Regal theater, they showed a never before seen Hulk preview of the movie and the game. The effects seemed much further along. I don't know if anyone else saw this. It's not the domestic trailer, it's a preview I've never seen before tonight.

My rundown of the preview:

We got into the theaters about 30 minutes before the lights went down. Before they went down and the trailers started, they showed a 7 minute preview of the Hulk comic, game, and movie. There were numerous new scenes that are obviously farther along that the effects in the trailer.

One closeup of the Hulk's face when David Banner(Nick Nolte) was looking up at him in shock. In the shot which lasted about 5 seconds, David looks up at the Hulk, the hulk looks down at David, his eyes blinking. David reaches up and touches the Hulk's face and lips. I can tell you that the realism in this shot destroys every shot in the trailers. The most stunning realism I've ever seen of a CGI characters face. The emotions of the Hulk's face is scarily real.

As for the tank throwing scene in the trailer, it's been sped up. In the clip during this preview, the tank is being spun more slowly. There's a lot more weight and centrifugal force to this shot, and there's more dust kicking up. It looks far better than the shot in the trailer, which obviously was sped up for effect.

A 3rd scene in the preview also has to do with the tank scene. You remember in the trailer when the Hulk flips the tank over. Well, you don't see the first part of the shot in any of the trailers. In the preview at the theater, the Hulks actually runs into the front of the tank with his left shoulder, and it lifts the tank off the ground a bit. Then he catches it and flips it. Once again, this shot looks a hell of a lot better than the way it's shown in the trailer, and the effects were even better in this preview. The Hulk looked better in this shot as well.

There was another shot where the Hulk was standing on a cliff or hill, overlooking the Golden Gate bridge. He leaps from the cliff towards the bridge. Jawdropping.

Also, the shot of the Hulk running in the desert is a bit slower in this preview, and the Hulk has more weight to him when he runs. Looks much better than the shot in the international trailer. Just goes to show that many shots and many lines of dialogue are edited, cut, altered, and sped up. You really can't do anymore than judge the shots in the specific trailer.

They also talked about the game, the Hulk characters, and his origins from the comic book. James Schamus talked a bit in the preview, as did Avi Arad, Eric Bana, Jennifer Connelly, and Stan Lee. I can't remember if Ang Lee was in the vid, but I think he was.

This was shown in the lobby on the big screen as well. It was at a Regal theater.

So if I was giving advice, I'd say quit worrying about the FX. The best supervisor in the business, and his team are on this. He's won more Oscars than any person ever. Dennis Muren! Nobody could do a better job.

After seeing their name dragged across the mud along with the SW double disaster, ILM is really trying to reconquer the flag from the likes of WETA, arenīt they?

ILM's effects in the SW films were incredible, nor were the films disasters. Waterworld is a disaster. Pluto Nash is a disaster. As for WETA, they've done great work, but they can't tote ILM's jock.:p 25 Oscars to 2. They weren't nominated in every available VES Awards category by their peers for nothing, nor did they receive an Oscar noms for each Star Wars film for nothing.

As for the Hulk's running ability, they wanted to give the Hulk super athletic abilities rather than have him lumber around slowly.[

No, Ang Lee stayed true to the comic book character. The comic book character was fast, agile, and could leap miles in a single bound. They just didn't make that up. However, his running and leaping in the trailers has been sped up a bit.

By the way, here's a pic for you guys to gander at.

http://images.comicbookresources.com/c2f/hulk/CFQ.jpg

I would say wait until you see the final film before you go crapping on effects. I can tell you that many of the scenes in the trailers aren't finished, have been edited, altered,and cut up. They're out of context.

My apologies for the long rant.

beaker
05-03-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Book
I don't like to comment on films before I see them in the theater, but a couple of shots got me worried. What's with that giant cat/dog thing?!! And that shot of Hulk doing a 3-5 frame run cycle (the one isoing the legs only from the side)?! Come on, he weighs at least a few tons and can leap miles at a time! Could he really move that fast? I hope they stay true to his character.

Still, glad to see this one hit the screen!
It's a movie about a guy that turns into a giant green monster from a comic book(fantasy) and your worrying about the physics of how he runs? I believe the rules in these types of movies are "does it look cool" not "could this happen in the real world". If you are worried about real life stuff how can you even believe in the base concept the Entire Movie is Based On(a character hit by gamma radiation that turns into a giant green monster when he gets angry). There are some movies that you need to suspend your belief of reality for it to be enjoyable.

ambient-whisper
05-03-2003, 07:59 PM
ILM's effects in the SW films were incredible, nor were the films disasters. Waterworld is a disaster. Pluto Nash is a disaster. As for WETA, they've done great work, but they can't tote ILM's jock. 25 Oscars to 2. They weren't nominated in every available VES Awards category by their peers for nothing, nor did they receive an Oscar noms for each Star Wars film for nothing.

yeah but until dobie( sp?) it seemed like they were slipping. their characters werent really getting all too much better.. ( some think yoda is god but if you take a closeup screenie of both yoda and gollum youll see how little attention to details was put into yoda compared to gollum. look at their eyes.. the skin.. facial expressions.. )

you also gotta consider the fact that ILM is a MUCH larger company who has been around a much longer time. until LOTR was being made, WETA only had a few employees. so for them to make such a strong mark on the map out of nowhere is quite the accomplishment id say.

anyhoo. hulk looks awesome.:) id love to get my hands on the muscle system :D

lildragon
05-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper

anyhoo. hulk looks awesome.:) id love to get my hands on the muscle system :D

lol! you never quit :p

-lil

huydoan.com
05-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Forget the 200mph sprint for a second.

Bruce Banner transforms into a 11 foot, 1000 lb. monster, and yet his bright purple plants do not tear off? Not only that, but the pants are impervious to bullets, fires, explosions, missiles, mutant dogs and acid? Sheesh, where can I get a pair of pants like those?

GRMac13
05-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
( some think yoda is god but if you take a closeup screenie of both yoda and gollum youll see how little attention to details was put into yoda compared to gollum. look at their eyes.. the skin.. facial expressions.. )

Gollum is a much more realistic-looking character, but you're missing a major point in your argument. It's silly to compare Yoda with Gollum for the simple fact that Yoda was created and animated with the intention that he bear a striking similarity to a foam rubber puppet, whereas Gollum was created to bear a resemblance to a real live person (Andy Serkis). ILM was under strict guidelines by GL to have Yoda look as much like the puppet as possible and also to "act" in many ways like the puppet in order to keep a certain level of continuity (and avoid a backlash from fan-boys). Of course, the CG Yoda allowed for more subtle expressions than the puppet ever could, but ILM's animators were limited in several aspect of their animations. For example, the lip sync was intentionally not dead-on, instead they studied scenes from ESB and used much broader mouth shapes. Also the walk cycle for Yoda was derived from the motion Frank Oz created with the puppet, bouncing him up and down, etc. It's really unrealistic to compare these two characters because they were created with two completely different intents, and I believe both were extraordinarily successful in their respective approaches, and achieved thier intended goals 10-fold.

ambient-whisper
05-03-2003, 10:57 PM
which is exactly why they could have focused their effort to other areas of yoda ;) look into his eyes..

Mr_Lunchbox
05-04-2003, 12:43 AM
I'm beginning the think that movies are turning more into a display case of what we're capable of making, as opposed to what we're capable of writing. Me? I'm much more interested in the writing in a movie. That's why action films mean next to nothing to me. I think Blade is possibly the most well-written "action" movie ever made. The second one was cliche, the second one was just wrestling with a vague plot. The first one was genius. And Blade is probably the best comic-to-movie project I've seen yet. X-Men was okay... Spiderman just sucked, and Hulk looks like it will, too. But from a CG standpoint? Blade sucked and those three I just mentioned ruled. Ironic, innit? If we could combine the two, we just might be able to make the perfect movie. But heh... people just won't seem to allow that to happen. :shrug:

JohnD
05-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by huydoan.com
Forget the 200mph sprint for a second.

Bruce Banner transforms into a 11 foot, 1000 lb. monster, and yet his bright purple plants do not tear off? Not only that, but the pants are impervious to bullets, fires, explosions, missiles, mutant dogs and acid? Sheesh, where can I get a pair of pants like those?

LOL. Well, you may be all for seeing the Hulk's green ding-a-ling flappin' in the breeze, but as for me...thank god for those indestrucible purple pants.:p

amygdalae
05-05-2003, 06:05 AM
perhaps sony can loan some kevin bacon schlong phys R&D from hollowman so ILM can remove the pants and display a massive green glowing wang, flapping in the wind with every move.
This would be the best way to please the fans, upset about the purple pants.

The pants argument gets really old, guys.
IT'S A DAMN SUPERHERO MOVIE, GET A LIFE!

it's only entertainment, not a physics lab.

eliseu gouveia
05-05-2003, 06:13 AM
The pants is always a popular hit, but something else has always mistifyed me about the Hulk:

here we have a regular 1,8 m guy who,when mad, sees the Gamma radiation in his body transform him into this beast with twice his body mass.
er...... hello?

Where does all this meat come from, all of a sudden?:surprised:

huydoan.com
05-05-2003, 09:50 AM
yes we all know a movie is a form of entertainment. We're not taking any of this seriously.

Where does the extra meat come from? Who knows. How does Storm control the weather? How does Spiderman's feet stick to walls if he's wearing shoes? How can the Multiple Man (from X-factor) make multiple instant clones of himself (including the clothes!) simply by hitting something hard?

A better question is why does John Travolta still get paid $20 million a movie?

JohnD
05-05-2003, 03:21 PM
A better question is why does John Travolta still get paid $20 million a movie?

Now that's something worth discussing.

Maximus Groff
05-05-2003, 04:09 PM
LOL @ amygdalae for 2 mins!!!

Hey guys - what about those eggs that appear in the begining ?!
i dont get that..

:banghead:

DoctorStopMo
05-05-2003, 04:50 PM
I don't think the Hulk looks all that great in the newest trailer, but I'll wait until the real movie comes out to make judgments on the effects. I'd imagine that they're just releasing rudimentary Hulk stuff, because ILM is definitely capable of better CG (unless they've been told to keep the Hulk a little cartoony to keep with his comic book roots). Still better than what I could do. The trailer looks good and the film exciting, but I agree with what's been said about films releasing too much footage in trailers. There'd better be a whole lot more action and the stuff shown in the trailers a tiny, tiny sample, or I'm gonna feel gypped ;). I am in favor of the purple pants. Yes, whatever clothes Bruce Banner was wearing would get ripped to shreds as he expands to his 1,000 pound frame, but I have no intention of seeing a big green nekkid beast rampaging through the desert :shame:. I actually read a comic where Bruce Banner is shopping for some ridiculously big purple jeans, but that is neither here nor there.

I have a word to say about the realism of comics: getting blasted by gamma rays would have very deleterious effects on a human being. It would not create the Hulk. However, as a program that premiered on the Discovery Channel last night attests, superheroes are definitely possible. Back when most superheroes were created (in the 50s and 60s, many of them by Stan Lee), the big thing of the time was the power of the atom and radiation. That was the atomic age. Just about every superhero and almost every villain has an atomic or radioactive origin. We no longer live in the Age of the Atom; we're in the Biotech Age. Experiments with gene cloning and displacement have shown that genes from different animals can be inserted into others. I'm a bio major, and I've seen experiments where genes taken from fire flies have been inserted into mice to make them glow in the dark. Genes that spiders have for production of webbing can be inserted into mammals. A Hulk-mouse (a lab rat that's 40% bigger than other rats, and more muscular) has been created. Could Spider-Man be made? Maybe not from a radioactive spider bite, but possibly in a gene lab in the next 50 years. On a more salient note, scientists believe a genetic Hulk could be engineered in the next 50-100 years. They could even get his skin green (that part can actually be done today). Switching between Banner and Hulk - that's probably not gonna happen, and with the moral and ethical issues involved with genetic manipulation, probably none of this ever will, but you can see the shift in origin stories in the new Marvel lines. In 2000, I think it was, Marvel relaunched some of their greatest comic book lines in their Ultimate lines with totally revamped origin stories and different plot lines. The big ones were Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, and the Ultimates (Captain America and the Avengers - I'd highly recommend it, even if you're not into comics). In Ultimate Spider-Man, Peter Parker wasn't bitten by a radioactive spider - he was bitten by a genetically engineered one :).

Maximus Groff
05-05-2003, 07:00 PM
wow... post a link... this seems interesting DrStopMo... ;)

:p

DoctorStopMo
05-05-2003, 07:25 PM
Erm...a link to what? If it's about genetic engineering, that's stuff I've read in text books, scientific journals, and seen on the Discovery Channel. I myself don't participate in genetic experiments, but I am involved in research on Drosophila flies and study mutants of them.

If you're looking for info on the Ultimate lines from Marvel, you can check out www.marvel.com and look for their dotcomics section. I'm not sure if this link still works anymore, but dotcomics.marvel.com may take you directly there. You'll need to sign up, I think, but they don't spam you, so it's a question of typing in an email address and getting a username. It's even easier than registering for this forum :p. I'd highly recommend checking out The Ultimates. You can read the first three issues of the first story arc for free online once you sign up. A caveat about that: you may think I'm a huge fanboy, but the truth is that I'm really not. I sort of liked the idea of superheroes and all, but the execution always struck me as lame, so I never really bothered too much with the comics of days past. The Ultimate lines from Marvel totally changed everything that I didn't like about comic books. The stories are interesting, have tons of depth, and the characters are more than flat drawings on a page. In addition, they have some of the finest artwork I've ever seen on the pages of their magazines. These elevate comics to forms of genuine literature and not pulp magazines that most people tend to scorn. They certainly changed my whole outlook on comics :D.

In short, the comics are easily 10 times superior to the movies that are based on them. If X-Men had followed the plot of the Ultimate comic, I guarantee it would have done nearly double at the box office, and would have been a cooler, better paced, more exciting movie to boot. Hollywood should seriously consider having Mark Millar (writer of The Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men do some of their scriptwriting.

Joe2003
05-06-2003, 08:10 AM
Here's a new pic from the Hulk preview called Origins of the Hulk, which showed quite a bit of unseen footage. It's shown in Regal theaters before the trailers for X2.

http://www.hulkmovie.com/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=14394

You should see this in motion. Enjoy!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.