PDA

View Full Version : Final gathering settings?

Levitateme
05-02-2003, 08:47 AM
Can someone out there tell me how i get proper FG settings? I read long ago that i need like 10% of my scene size, then 10% of that? if thats right, how do i get my scene size. i would guess use the measurment tools, but im not sure what im going to measuer can someone help out?

stunndman
05-02-2003, 08:52 AM
the szene size is the extent of the objects in your scene - just take a look through the top cam and estimate it with the grid turned on

that's just a rough guide of course because the actual value for max depends more on the smallest visible shadowing detail in your scene - but 10% is a start

Undseth
05-02-2003, 09:57 AM
If you have the min-max-radius on automatic, i.e. "0", you (afaik) cannot know what value Maya puts in this place. But you can find out by setting the "verbose" in mentalrayrenderglobals to "detailed".

Then look at the huge output, and look for the min-max-radius message, which gets repeated a whole lot of times. But look at the beginning.

I hope this is really true, it appears so.

Levitateme
05-02-2003, 09:59 AM
hey studdmam, thats great does that work for you?

Undseth
05-02-2003, 10:05 AM
If your FG min radius is too high, I'm sure you don't get the "proper" shadows in the smaller holes and such with your details.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.