View Full Version : Lightwave 9.5

ivanze
02-20-2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.newtek.com/news/pressrelease.php?viewpr=36

Chuck Baker
02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
For Immediate Release

NewTek Announces Fourth Major Update to LightWave 3D® v9

Update to award-winning 3D animation system includes addition of hair and fur along with new real-world lighting system and advancements in global illumination

San Antonio, TX -- February 20, 2008 -- NewTek, Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading video and 3D animation products, today announced LightWave® v9.5, a major update to its award-winning 3D application, LightWave 3D®. LightWave® v9.5 new capabilities include a complete hair and fur solution, new lighting system and many improvements to animation, global illumination, rendering and workflow. The update will be available to registered owners of the LightWave v9 series at no charge. The LightWave v9.5 Open Beta program is scheduled to begin early March; LightWave v9 owners who wish to participate may register now by visiting: http://register.newtek.com/.

“As promised with the LightWave v9 series we’ve added major capabilities with each of the updates we’ve delivered so far and LightWave v9.5 is certainly no exception,” said Jay Roth, president, NewTek 3D Division. “With the addition of a complete hair and fur solution, all new real-world lighting system and GI that is significantly faster with even more beautiful results, LightWave v9.5 has something to offer the 3D community regardless of the specialty - from game developers to character animation to architectural visualization.”

LightWave v9.5 Update Includes:

Character Animation Enhancements

New Hair and Fur System

New Collada, FBX and OBJ I/O

Enhanced IK and Animation Systems

New IK Calculation Options for Faster Performance

New Bone Type - Joints

New Objective Options for IK

IK/FK blending

Multi-threaded Mesh Deformation Evaluation

Modeler

UV Unwrap/UV Relax

Symmetry Tolerance

Lighting, Rendering and Surfacing Enhancements

All New Lighting System

New Light API

IES Lights

New Spherical Light

Area and Linear Lights Enhanced

Renderer

Faster Sampling System for GI

Improved GI Quality

New GI Controls to Customize the Render

Disk-Based GI Cache

Node Editor Enhancements

Interpolated Soft Reflections/Refractions

Support for New Light API Functions

Oren-Nayar Shading Option for Many Materials

Optimizations for Materials and Shaders

SDK and LScript Improvements

New Light Plug-in Class for third Party Lights and Light Plug-ins

SDK Support for New GI Functions and Disk Cache

SDK Support for New IK and Animation Capabilities

Set Surface Properties Through the Surface Global

UI and Workflow Enhancements

Enhanced Scene Limits

Updated Scene File Format

EXIF Metadata Support

OpenGL GLSL Enhanced for New Lighting System

Image Viewer Consolidation

In addition to the new capabilities in LightWave v9.5, the LightWave v9 series has delivered enhanced performance in a number of areas including improved global illumination with higher quality and faster rendering, expanded OpenGL capabilities with new depth of field preview, advancements in the new camera tools and the node and materials editing system. Further, there are now over 24 hours of free LightWave training available online at www.lightwave3d.com. Visual effects artists who used LightWave's world-class rendering system and other capabilities in recent major projects such as Jumper, The Ruins, 300, The Guardian, VFX Emmy®-winning Battlestar Galactica and other hit series, such as The Sarah Connor Chronicles, CSI, CSI Miami, The History Channel’s Dogfights and the up and coming high definition game, WarDevil, depend on LightWave to produce state of the art visual effects on time and on budget.

Pricing and Availability
LightWave® v9 is available now at suggested retail price of $895US. LightWave v9.5 will be available as a free update to registered LightWave v9 owners. Registered owners of LightWave 3D® [8] or earlier are eligible to purchase an upgrade to LightWave v9 for $395US. For more information or to purchase, please visit www.lightwave3d.com or call NewTek Sales at 1-800-368-5441, for international inquiries dial +1-210-370-8000.

About NewTek
With headquarters in San Antonio, Texas, NewTek is an Emmy® Award-winning and leading provider of full-featured video editing, live production, presentation, animation and special effects tools including TriCaster™, TriCaster PRO™, TriCaster STUDIO™, VT[5]™, SpeedEDIT™, 3D Arsenal™, and LightWave 3D®.
--End--

* LightWave and LightWave 3D are registered trademarks of NewTek, Inc.

* The TriCaster family of products include: TriCaster, TriCaster VM, TriCaster PRO, TriCaster PRO FX and TriCaster STUDIO which are trademarks of NewTek, Inc.

* SpeedEDIT, iVGA, LiveSet, LiveMatte, VT[5], 3D Arsenal and LightWave Rendition are trademarks of NewTek, Inc.

* All other products or brand names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

ranhell
02-20-2008, 04:47 PM
so when is 9.5 coming out.....

bearfoot
02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
great new chuck

am looking forward to this ver much !

Open beta testing is early march so i will downloading it then

cheers

bugzilla
02-20-2008, 05:44 PM
These are exactly the features I was hoping for. I was just looking for a REAL hair solution (Saslite fracking suck!) and was having trouble doing some more complex rigging last night so the new joint and IK tools are VERY much needed. I hope these new features turn out to be stable and easy to use.

BookMansBlues
02-20-2008, 06:23 PM
This is great news, looking forward to this update!

RKanyama
02-20-2008, 06:48 PM
So, with this update, we should be able to get .OBJ models out of Lightwave with the proper UV mapping? This would be great for ZBrush. Right now, I have to take the object from LW to Blender and then export an .OBJ object. Not a bad thing since it gives me a chance to play in Blender. :-)

biliousfrog
02-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Awesome...Newtek really have pulled their finger out. Not only has LW caught up with the other 3d apps but it's looking like a pro application again for the first time in years.

I feel guilty for doubting all the hype and I'm glad that I didn't jump ship...although my bank account played the biggest part in that :D

BookMansBlues
02-20-2008, 10:14 PM
I think the biggest hurtle was probably trying to get the core to do things it was never intended to do (lights as a plugin class, weren't we told several years ago that was impossable? :P ). Just goes to show how brilliant these guys are!

philnolan3d
02-21-2008, 12:26 AM
new has been posted to Digg.com. Please digg it and get LightWave some much needed exposure!

http://digg.com/design/NewTek_Announces_LightWave_3D_9_5

philnolan3d
02-21-2008, 12:28 AM
So, with this update, we should be able to get .OBJ models out of Lightwave with the proper UV mapping? This would be great for ZBrush. Right now, I have to take the object from LW to Blender and then export an .OBJ object.

Not to mention MudBox and some of the 3D painting Apps. Although 3D Brush supports LWO natively, so it has been problem free in that respecrt for a while now.

Kid-Mesh
02-21-2008, 12:59 AM
This is an Awesome update for sure. I'm looking foward to the beta.

It's weird but I really did not truly appreciate the price point until now. Unless you live in the States this may not mean much but right now our economy is pretty bad. Companies are tanking, offshoring jobs and or raising prices to stay afloat.

As much $hit that Newtek has taken oven the years. I have to applaud them for not flip flopping or changing the game as it were being that the 9.x cycle remains free for qualified owners. I honestly have to take my hat off to a company like this, especially during these difficult economic times.

I really wish you guys (Newtek) all the success in the world going foward as I'm sure it will pay dividends down the road. It's actions like this that keeps me continuing on with this product in my aresenal.

Thank you again to all in involved and im really looking foward to more to come :thumbsup:

webhead
02-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Really exciting news here - especially wanted the Hair and Fur system - didn't expect it so soon - and in a free update to boot, too. Thanks, Newtek! Can't wait to check out Lightwave 9.5.
Now, if only ZBrush3 for Mac would come out - then my joy will be complete.

JeffrySG
02-21-2008, 02:12 AM
This sounds like a great update! The 9.x cycle has been great so far!!!

theWOODman
02-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Agreed. The updates have really been appreciated so far and now it just got all the more exciting. I'm really looking forward to the new hair and fur system, realistic lighting, new light api, and modeler's UV handling ( much needed ).

It's always been a pain that with most modelers, hair and fur has always been an extra plug-in that required lots of extra cash to upgrade to. Now that it will be native, that should push Lightwave up to a whole new level.

No offense to anyone, but I'm just really tired of Max, Maya, Max, Maya all the time.

aeres
02-21-2008, 02:36 AM
So, with this update, we should be able to get .OBJ models out of Lightwave with the proper UV mapping? This would be great for ZBrush. Right now, I have to take the object from LW to Blender and then export an .OBJ object. Not a bad thing since it gives me a chance to play in Blender. :-)

LW can export to obj with it's UV intact, although there must be a surface using the UV map.

Yes, LW is weird that way. :D

RobertoOrtiz
02-21-2008, 04:05 AM
Great job guys..

Looking forward to playing with it,

-R

GQ1
02-21-2008, 06:53 AM
Is their anymore info on the new Hair and Fur tools in LW 9.5.
Also was this developed from the ground up or was it a LW plug-in before, as in Fiber Factory or Shave and a hair cut?

Anyone know for sure?

alvin-cgi
02-21-2008, 11:30 AM
:scream: try this... http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80311 (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80311)

Is their anymore info on the new Hair and Fur tools in LW 9.5.
Also was this developed from the ground up or was it a LW plug-in before, as in Fiber Factory or Shave and a hair cut?

Anyone know for sure?

StOuen
02-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I am so happy I have wee'd a bit.

RKanyama
02-21-2008, 12:35 PM
LW can export to obj with it's UV intact, although there must be a surface using the UV map.

Yes, LW is weird that way. :D

Ohhhhh... I will try that now. Well, I'm glad I didn't know, otherwize I would have never messed with Blender. Thanks!

cresshead
02-21-2008, 12:37 PM
looking forward to early march to finally get my hands on this 9.5 feature list and give it a shake to see if the goodies are production worthy as i'm hoping they will be.

RobertoOrtiz
02-21-2008, 02:04 PM
If all goes to plan, I would dare to say that this is one of the most significant upgrades in Lightwave history.

Good job guys.
-R

Weetos
02-21-2008, 05:26 PM
If all goes to plan, I would dare to say that this is one of the significant upgrades in Lightwave history.
Definitely :thumbsup: the 9.X version could be the best LW ever

theWOODman
02-21-2008, 10:08 PM
To heck with March, let's start beta testing now!!

March is overated anyway with all the rain and muck. February has a much better ring to it.

philnolan3d
02-21-2008, 10:42 PM
To heck with March, let's start beta testing now!!

March is overated anyway with all the rain and muck. February has a much better ring to it.

Hey! My birthday is in March! March 1st actually, so this will be a great belated gift.

GQ1
02-22-2008, 05:30 AM
:scream: try this... http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80311 (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80311)

kia ora! and Mahalo Nui Loa :)

Wout
02-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeaaaah ! This made my day :) Very exciting news. Go Newtek !

bugzilla
02-22-2008, 01:55 PM
I also hope for a native Direct X (.x) exporter that accurately exports animation and texture data so it can be used in game creation programs like XNA game studio, Dark Basic, Blitz 3D

Nemoid
02-22-2008, 03:54 PM
this release sounds great ! excited about CA enhancements and hair. :)

vonbon
02-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Now I hope they say, Buy 9.5 now and get a FREE upgrade to 10

Darth Mole
02-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Arguably this is at least a $300 value upgrade - for free. Very, very nice. I feel the LW love again!

philnolan3d
02-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Now I hope they say, Buy 9.5 now and get a FREE upgrade to 10

Actually they probably will say that, but not until 10 is near release. That's how I got my free upgrade to 8.0

colkai
02-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Actually they probably will say that, but not until 10 is near release. That's how I got my free upgrade to 8.0
Yup, they've pretty much done the same for a long while.
Also, lest ye forget, they also normally allow an upgrade from a much older version of LW to the latest at the same upgrade price. :thumbsup:

cresshead
02-23-2008, 10:02 AM
also let us not forget this will be ther second major FREE point update within the 9.x cycle
for lightwave...we already have a NEW renderer with final gather, photoreal motion blur which you can see in the open gl viewport, new cameras including the perspective camera and the real lens database cameras too plus all the other goodies.

yeah lightwave is/was playing catchup in features compared to max, xsi, maya but looking over to recent releases for thoses app this for lightwave is like having a couple of major realeses for free.

with all the past negative thoughts on the future of lightwave at this early pre open beta the future for lightwave is looking much brighter now...all i'm waiting to see is what are the new and improved character animation and rigging tools in 9.5 all about.

ie ik and fk plus the 'joints' they refer to in their press release.

mav3rick
02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
im sure there will be no offer like get 9 now and 10 free since i smell like 10 is gonna be BOMB.....

cresshead
02-24-2008, 12:05 AM
im sure there will be no offer like get 9 now and 10 free since i smell like 10 is gonna be BOMB.....

you mean ''earth shattering'' or ''explosive''....or ''ground shaking''

''boomtastic'' maybe!

:D

T4D
02-24-2008, 05:55 AM
WOW CA updates !! .. Amazing !! Looking forward to seeing them in Actions :bounce:

WillBellJr
02-24-2008, 06:21 PM
This is an Awesome update for sure. I'm looking foward to the beta.

It's weird but I really did not truly appreciate the price point until now. Unless you live in the States this may not mean much but right now our economy is pretty bad. Companies are tanking, offshoring jobs and or raising prices to stay afloat.

As much $hit that Newtek has taken oven the years. I have to applaud them for not flip flopping or changing the game as it were being that the 9.x cycle remains free for qualified owners. I honestly have to take my hat off to a company like this, especially during these difficult economic times.

I really wish you guys (Newtek) all the success in the world going foward as I'm sure it will pay dividends down the road. It's actions like this that keeps me continuing on with this product in my aresenal.

Thank you again to all in involved and im really looking foward to more to come :thumbsup:

I have to agree wholeheartedly!

My first real 3D application was Lightwave (I had lusted for LW for years while using Animation Master and trueSpace!) - even purchased Inspire3D but was devastated because most LW tutes used the Knife tool which I3D didn't have and couldn't properly follow along!

I didn't think I'd invest further in LW after v9 since I have so many other apps but I'm glad to see that v9 investment is still paying off in a nice way!

Certainly can't wait to see what v10 will have in store...

-Will

erikals
02-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Was there a Catmull update/ fix ?

richcz3
02-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Was there a Catmull update/ fix ?
Yeah, there are details that need attending. The layout rendering side has seen volumes of impressive improvements. One could hope that resources are being pressed into bringing the rest of the application up to snuff.

Much of the 9.0 CA work was said to be done in the base of the core code. I'm holding out that this core rework shows promise in 9.5 Beta. Brought to bear into a functional base system in 9's cycle - Yeah.....finessed in 10.
I don't have the Jay Roths targets for 9.0 - but I'm pretty sure we have a ways to go yet.

Vojislav+Milanovic
02-26-2008, 04:15 PM
WOW CA updates !! .. Amazing !! Looking forward to seeing them in Actions :bounce:

You are pleased, finally :buttrock:

Cheers matte

HowardM
02-27-2008, 11:42 AM
dagnabit, where is that new fangled FX engine!? ;)

Dillon
02-27-2008, 07:18 PM
hint hint, nudge nudge?

T4D
02-28-2008, 06:30 AM
You are pleased, finally :buttrock:

Cheers matte

yeah :D nice to be interested in what comes out of Newtek again
looks like with the updates coming, I'll be adding LW to the studio I'm now at in Abu Dhabi.
( left Oz now in UAE )

Lw still has some charm, it will be nice to see how it all works in a large production.
Currently we have a XSI/Modo pipeline, but LW 9.5 will add options.

provitamin
02-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Hey Peter. Are you thinking about any update T4D plugin?. Cause LW 9.5 is coming.

T4D
02-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Hey Peter. Are you thinking about any update T4D plugin?. Cause LW 9.5 is coming.

I'd love to but won't commit to anything untill i get my hands on and test what is released in LW 9.5

as my times goes nowadays,..I'm pretty busy,..

and I have to say it will be after I release XSI T4D tools...

monovich
02-28-2008, 07:15 PM

that would be nice... but I'll take these improvements too.

do you use LW for FX anymore? I thought you were moved on to greener pastures. ;)

guardonduty
02-29-2008, 09:51 PM
LW 9.5 getting Zbrush like attention. Good stuff guys. Put out a Zbrush (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gm8bAg4DVy8) type 5 minute feature video and buyers will definitely take notice. Congrats. Can't wait.

G3D
03-01-2008, 02:20 AM
Linux versions of Layout and Modeler, please.

cresshead
03-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Linux versions of Layout and Modeler, please.

if your desparate for linux then maya, xsi and blender already run on linux

personally my view on O/S is it's just a filing system i don't care who makes it as long as i can run my apps and store my created data, so windows fits the bill pretty well actually and newtek have much higher priorities such as character tools, getting modeler and layout fused together and making the new fur 'the best' before they even think about osx updates or porting lightwave to a nintendo DS/ps3/wii or linux:D

G3D
03-01-2008, 02:41 AM
And I like Lightwave. After using Maya daily for over a year, I can easily say that Lightwave still holds up well. As an OS Windows is crap. If Photoshop and a couple other apps were on Linux, I'd dump MS products and never look back, and so would at least half the folks I work with. (at a good sized fx house in LA) And an OS is much more than a filing system.

Ed Bittner
03-01-2008, 05:01 PM

Yeah, what he said. (Maybe 9.6).
E.

Ed Bittner
03-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Oh, just a thought of my own............
With LW doing stellar,(pardon the pun), work in stuff like BSG and Serenity and all the largely uncredited film work,(300 and such), I'm amazed that people in general still poo-poo Lightwave. HA-HA I say. WE,(S*R*) use LW excusively as our main CG app, and other houses in our area, (few as they are), with double or triple the staff can't understand how we have such a quick turnover. We aren't programmers. We're artists. I suppose if we ran a software package that needed to be added to or programmed for this or that, I could understand their befuddlement. Hehe.
E.

erikals
03-01-2008, 06:32 PM
...refering to that other thread Ed? ;)

Ed Bittner
03-02-2008, 07:17 PM
...refering to that other thread Ed? ;)

??? Sorry, missed that one.
E.

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2008, 07:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.