PDA

View Full Version : DWIII - 3D - Izuael - Trelok

Izuael
02-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Hello everyone!

Going to update this first post so you won't have to search for the latest images.

Latest images:
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/866/update0330081wf0.jpg
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2655/update0330082vj6.jpg
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8139/treant7dw3do4.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9624/treant6dw3yp9.jpg
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/8188/treant5dw3xh6.jpg
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4707/treant4dw3kx4.jpg
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7137/treantwireframe1bd4.jpg

Race: Treant
Name: Trelok
Class: Warlord
Element: Ice/Water

cheesy story:
The treants stood by and watched countless wars wage on for what seemed like an eternity. When the ultimate weapon was used they understood that things would change, many races now defenceless against the new threat. The ones made of metal.
They gathered and chose their best warriors to enter the wormhole. The first charge didn't go too well and many perished. But Trelok managed to return. Knowing that brute force would not be enough they turned to other races for help. Together they found an artefact of immense power. The artefact seemed to freeze anything that got too close to very low temperatures. Close to absolute zero the bipeds told them, possible to shatter almost everything.
Trelok naturally curious, found this out when he grabbed the spherical object, hence his left arm is missing.
To counter the cold he grew his right arm so he always could have it at a distance. He soon found out that the artefact was quite durable, enough to use it as a wrecking ball. That together with the low temperature proved to be an excellent tool against the metal ones.

Representing CGSociety in what way?
Reddish autumn leaves, Ancient armor made of black(or very dark) metal and white moss, mushrooms etc.

FrozZT
02-22-2008, 02:11 AM
Hey m8!
Still waiting for you first sketches man! Hope to see some stuff soon! :)

Good luck!

later..

-Niklas

Izuael
02-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Ah so much to do!
Started doing some thumbnails but couldn't get this idea for a head out of my head so had to do something around it. Not sure how to do the legs yet but they will probably be tree trunk like or something.
Pretty satisfied with it, but I guess it's not the least original. Haven't bothered checking out others work of treants so... (except LoTR doh) :(

No story for this guy yet, feels like people won't give a shit anyway so. :P

Damn need to sort it into some class as well. Hmm.

FrozZT
02-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Hellö!
Cool stuff! :) Looking at the "hair" it kinda looks like a "pilträd"(sorry dont know the english for it, attached an image). Other than the textur on his mouth and the fact that i know its a treant it doesnt look convincingly lika a tree. Maybe you could think about doing an interesting tree a bit more than only work to make it a character. I dont quite get the mouth(though it looks kinda cool), i could imagine it but its kind of hard to read what you have in mind from that angle. Too bad i couldnt find a better picture of that tree i thought about, that would have been great inspiration i think. I do know this is a rough, im just overspeculating :p.. I think you could make it a lot more torn and rugged, with bark pointing out and/or other stuff like that! Great to see that you've got going on this now! Hope to see an update soon! :)

-Niklas

Izuael
02-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the thorough crits, Niklas. :)
I made another sketch today, changed some features. Read the notes on the image. :)

I've decided to go 3D with this.
Name: Trelok
class: warlord
element: ice/water

Story to come.
Artifact/weapon to come.

Comments and suggestions much appreciated! Thanks.

DDS
02-24-2008, 08:26 PM
wow man that's badass! I've been thinking maybe u want to add some more arms, would give a very strong silhouette and look more like a tree also.

Loukor
02-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Very nice design, for a second there... I thought the thumbnail was showing off the treant scene in lotr because of the red leaves haha. Goodluck!

FrozZT
02-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Hellö!

Sweet stuff micke! I dig his shoulder end the artefact.. I wonder what he can do with that artefact besides wacking people flat with it :p? Much better then last rough! Ill just wait for next update! :) Keep it up!

-Niklas

nicklasholmgren
02-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Izuael,

Nice sketch, I really like the way you've designed his face, looks very promising. I know what you mean about keeping the characters asymmetric. I've been thinking about some ways like just making different types of limbs, aswell as just modifying the body geometry when I've done some modeling on him. On my current sketch I have that shoulderpad-ish thing I could make different or skip on the other side aswell.

You seem to have a good asymmetric design to start with, which is nice but I think what FrozZT said earlier on my thread about adding smaller branches is something we could both use to make it all come together.

Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

Izuael
02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Thank you DDS, Loukor, FrozZT and nicklasholmgren. :)

I took your advice and added some more arms. I need to make the artifact more exciting in some way. And I think I need to add legs to him, right now it just doesn't feel right without them... but not sure how to do it. Hmm.
While I'm at it I'll give him some kind of ancient armour made of stone with moss and inscriptions too. :D

Izuael
02-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Here there be updates!

I've made a pair of legs for him now, I'm quite satisfied with this look. I removed his left arm, going to do something else there. His swing arm is removed in the picture so you can see his body/legs better.

I've also looked up inspiration in our real world, mainly for the cgs color theme. I plan to give him som ancient armor made of blackish metal (going to use uraninite, lead, hematite as reference for that). Then I have the reddish autumn leaves. The only I'm not sure about is the white. I had in mind that since he's very old, he could have some bird poo on him (hey it's white :) ) or maybe white moss is more suitable. Hehe.

Then I've decorated his head with magnetite minerals that are black and magnetic. Adds to the cgs color theme and gives him a magnetic field that he can sense his metallic foes with. (or maybe pull/push them around?)

I'm going to make this sketch more detailed and colored. I just want your opinions on his body as it is now before I work more on him.

Started slightly with him in 3D too, haven't made many characters in 3D before so this is kind of new to me. Don't laugh. :)

What say you? :buttrock:

nicklasholmgren
02-27-2008, 01:27 PM
+5 Scaryness! Looking awesome with the new legs and mineral contours, some bird poo with that and we have a champion here :thumbsup:

FrozZT
02-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Big improvement! Nothing major to crit on except som tiny details. The pose, doesnt look like he could stand on all 4 limbs without the knees going underground or if hes suppose to stand on his back legs it looks like hes falling forward, the angle of the foot make it look like its standing up on 2 legs. And you could still push the asymetric treelike feel on som parts.. It will do with just details of difference. But as it is now its very much up to taste so if you are satisfied, keep it! I know its just a sketch so far, so ill just sit back and wait for an update! ;)

Good stuff!

-Niklas

Izuael
02-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Thank you Nicklas and Niklas. :)

You got a point there FrozZT. My idea was that he's going to walk on those two legs of his, but yeah, it looks like his balance wouldn't be the best maybe. And the knees are a bit big.
I think I'll give it a third leg at the front, those two small arms where more meant for grabbing anything that got too close. Like a T-rex sort of.

Back to work I go!

Izuael
02-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Another update.

Made a third front leg to give him some more balance. Looks better too overall imo.
Begun throwing around ideas for the artifact, and I'm mainly trying to steer away from the common use of swords, axes and maces. I don't want it to actually look like a weapon, I want it to be mystic in some way.

Right now I'm using a snow flake look as base. Some weird thing that this treant got a hold of.
Going to make a simple 3D mesh of it, easier to show.

After that it's time to give him some armour.

FrozZT
02-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Hellö!!
Looks way more powerful now! I think the overall shape and design is really nice now.. :) just detailwork.. I know you told me that you were thinking of infuse some junkarmor or stones for shoulders and stuff like that, did you drop that completely? I see you drew 2 mushrooms, i would try to think about lots of things like that when detailing or texturing. Like moss, different fungus that just color the surface, dirt(maybe make his legs and bottom part look like they've been underground) roots, small branches here and there, birds and stuff in the crown and last but not least... LOTS of bird POO! :p

Good stuff! Lets see it in color! :)

-Niklas

Paszczak
02-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Hi Izuael,
This is veeery original idea! I like his head a lot. Keep posting :thumbsup:.

[YOYO]
02-28-2008, 11:47 PM
You have some nice shape language going on with your idea. Keep at it!

Izuael
03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Ok, worked some more on him. No colours yet though. (he's going to have a tree crown, but was too lazy to paint it hehe)
I'm pretty happy with the look on him, going to move on and give him some armour and do some more work on that artefact.

Comments are as always, very welcomed. :buttrock:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9624/treant6dw3yp9.jpg

MartinNielsen
03-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Really nice concept :thumbsup: I wonder what happens, if you get hit with that weapon? I guess you get a big knock out, but are their any other effects? You wrote water/ice in your description.

FrozZT
03-03-2008, 12:16 PM
VERY nice micke! :) The artifact look really cool, though i dont quite get it, but that matters less.. ;) I do see the ice thingys! I do think you could mess around a bit more with the barktextures, right now its looks kind of the bark has been ripped of very clean and showing whats underneath. Its works well for parts of it, like the end of the bransh holding the artifact. Good stuff! keep it up!

-Niklas

Izuael
03-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Thank you MartinNielsen and FrozZT. :)
I wrote a story for him at first page, it kind of explains the artifact and so on.
But to sum it up, the artifact chills everything that gets to close to near absolute zero, making things brittle so they can get smashed to pieces by the artifact that Trelok uses as a wrecking ball. Haven't really thought out why it doesn't freeze his right 'arm' though. :D

Anyway, some more progress. Made the legs on him. He's still pretty rough, I'm at ~1000 tris now. Going to do the arm and all branches next. But now I need a break.
I feel pretty bad at modelling, hopefully I can make him resemble the sketches.

Oh and some reference for different materials. Red leaves, minerals for the armour and bark. I'm planning to use the snow flake for the artefact design in some way.

Let me know what you think. :buttrock:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8139/treant7dw3do4.jpg

John Ahlborg
03-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Looks good man, i can really see where you're going with it.
Great basemesh by the way.

How big are you planning on making the treecrown?

kadeschui
03-04-2008, 02:45 AM
Very cool concept, I love the strong profile this creature has. Very unique, can't wait to see some hi-detail!

inneractive
03-04-2008, 04:45 AM
Hey that's a cool tree in your reference pics. Will be useful for my project as well, thanks. Can't wait to see how your creature turns out.

Brutikong
03-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Brilliant..

erik_j
03-07-2008, 01:11 PM
nicely drawn concept!
I think it needs to be more intimidating though.. it's kind of cute atm :/ the mouth is a bit odd imo.. but I like the overall look of the head.. but those small teeth (and does he eat or just bite? looks like they're made for eating) ...and the cut off nose.. it looks a bit odd and unnatural.
otherwise it's really cool!
maybe what makes him look sort of cute is the size of the head contra body.. if he had a smaller and more integrated head he'd probably look bigger?
so I'd decide if he bites or not.. if he bites.. current head size is needed but then teeth need to be big.. if he doesn't bite.. might aswell make him look bigger? maybes...
sry for lateness of conceptual crits :)
imagining it'll look great with the canopy anyways!
nice to have another tree:ish ally! (even though it's other way around with race/element) :)
kör hårt!

FrozZT
03-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Hellö!! :)
The modell looks pretty good, though i wouldnt know for sure. :p I agree to some parts of what erik_j said. It could be a bit more intimidating, though i think it would do with just some minor changes/details. Experiment with it.. Lets see some new stuff! Keep it up! :)

-Niklas

NPL-the-artist
03-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I like your idea! It stands out, and it is a bit different, love to see where your going with this!

darrenwhite
03-14-2008, 08:42 PM
i love the concept here, really original and it coming along great. nice work

funkydog
03-16-2008, 06:49 AM
I like your concept about making the tree goes life! it look so powerful and scary! very good for the stalker class, when I see your sketches it make a big noise like "Bang bang bang brrrmmmm", can't help to imagine that when this character walking around to smash the enemies with a big earthquake!!!

Wonderful!

mime1
03-17-2008, 11:08 AM
You have a really nice concept here, now all depends on quality of textures to make it spectacular enough. Will keep my eye on it for sure. Always loved "living tree's" stuff :)

Izuael
03-17-2008, 12:51 PM
John Ahlborg Thank you! The tree crown will be about as big as his lower area, the legs etc. I have no idea right now how to do the crown though.
kadeschui Thanks man. :)
inneractive Thanks, glad you got some use for the refs too.
Brutikong Hehe thanks.
erik_j Thank you! I wish you gave me those crits earlier. :) I will change some things you mentioned, the teeth for example.
FrozZT Ya! I will experiment with him. I will certainly add details later on. :p
NPL-the-artist Thank you!
darren white Thanks a lot. :)
funkydog Yeah I guess he makes some noise when walking around, maybe will help intimidate his enemies.
mime1 Yeah, I hope I manage to make him look good. The 3D part is something I'm not as familiar with. Maybe I've taken water over my head but at least I'll learn a lot from this. :)

Nothing new to show yet. School has taken lots of my time, I'm trying to get it done so I can focus on this.

DMNY
03-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Fun and interesting idea, your concept art looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Treebeard would be proud :D

jpedro
03-18-2008, 03:33 PM
the last sketch looks really tight, love the face/jaw, cool stuff mate ;) i dig the adjustments in terms of legs/balance as well.:thumbsup:

Izuael
03-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Uff, been awhile. Here's a small update. Damn I really feel behind now when I see how far many have come. Anyway, I read somewhere how the mesh should be for best results in zbrush/mudbox so there's probably a lot of unnecessary polygons, I'll make it optimized when the time comes. :)
Still got the arm left to do, probably going to make the tree crown even bigger and still thinking how to do his armor... if any at all. Hmm.

A wire and a crappy render to show some shape etc.
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/866/update0330081wf0.jpg
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2655/update0330082vj6.jpg

Your thoughts are most welcome. :buttrock:

darrenwhite
04-12-2008, 12:27 PM
looks really cool man.

really original shape with the tree....i mean three legs! (sorry for the bad gag..tired been up all night finishing my submission.)

good luck mate.

Izuael
04-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks Darren.
But I'm gonna have to call it, didn't have enough time. :(
I will finish it, but I'm gonna have to save it for when I find time.

Good luck to all! :)

erik_j
04-12-2008, 07:25 PM
bummer! 7:
be back on the battlefiled with you next year :)

darrenwhite
04-15-2008, 08:40 PM
oh well. keep up the good work anyway and well done on a cool design

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2008, 08:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.